"Candy Cab" Egret II monitor enhancement

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Put some socks on. Bet that place smells like vinegar and pickles when they're kicked off.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
No. I think I'm not sure I'm a hipster/racist. Wasn't aware of the beat down I was gonna received from fellow Neo Geo fans... I feel like I just should of stayed on Arcade Otaku forums..

Run, run far away. Except your nasty ass feet are gonna fall out cause your shoes aren't tied. Fooq man, my 5yo can tie his shoes and his room is 1000x cleaner than that dump.

PS - there's a weather app, might look into it?
PSS - look into a surge protector instead of direct plug into wall

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
“Candy Cab” indeed. What you have there is a “Travesty”.

Post these pics on Arcade Otaku, I double-dick-do-donpachi-dare you.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
“Candy Cab” indeed. What you have there is a “Travesty”.

Post these pics on Arcade Otaku, I double-dick-do-donpachi-dare you.

Should post a link of this in the Windy candy group by thread where there is line of people trying to get an egret 2

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Do what you want to your own cabinets, just don't tell the internet you made enhancements. Have fun!

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
This brings the rain related E2 damage count to 2 now...it's amazing what people do with thousand dollar pieces of electronics.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
You can get that chassis repaired which is what I recommend. You have a massively desirable cab and you've kinda took the magic away from what it is known for. Check to see how much it will cost to get the chassis repaired, you'll be much happier. Non CRT displays also introduce lag as well.

This is probably the NICEST post in this entire thread. And the most informative as well. While replacing the original CRT with an LED is looked down on, It sounds like it was unavoidable due to the damage. The guys here are on super-flame mode 100% of the time so please don't take the insults personally. there are a lot of really helpful people here than can assist in getting this E2 back up and running.

I hope that you can get it sorted :)

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This is probably the NICEST post in this entire thread. And the most informative as well. While replacing the original CRT with an LED is looked down on, It sounds like it was unavoidable due to the damage. The guys here are on super-flame mode 100% of the time so please don't take the insults personally. there are a lot of really helpful people here than can assist in getting this E2 back up and running.

I hope that you can get it sorted :)

I offered to buy the cab in a post and in PM.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Even if repairing/replacing the original chassis is not an option, or too expensive... For the love of gawd just decase a 27" Sony Trinitron, mount it on the original (or hack one together if it won't fit) frame and get a JROC to convert the RGBs video to component. Its going to look really close to a real arcade monitor, likely be free (Craig's has tons of CRT's listed for free every day) and fit correctly (proper aspect ratio of 4:3).

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
SUPREME DUMB ASS

Jesus Christ! Holy Fuck! How can someone be so god damn oblivious?!

What could I possibly add to this thread that hasn't been said already? Ignorance to the max, dirty fuck, hack from hell, horrible taste in life, competitive player he says...

Edit: Wait! Hang on! Ok so I decided I'm going to get into some serious competitive playing, why not get a cab?! Yeah yeah! I heard the top players have these candies and play awesome! Yeah yeah boy, let me get the hook up and get me some of that shizz. Woo boy! I got me one of them Egret Twos?! Looks dirty, oh well it'll go perfect with my dirty ass living arrangements, I got this great room I'm gonna turn into akhybaras so every time I get home I feel like I'm walking in to a competition, I do play competitively, I'm so fucken good, I'm the Biz knees when it comes to Ultimate MVC 3 son, I'm just as radical as my freaking funkadelic sneakers, by the way Hipster friend, take a pic of my shoes, they're fucken awesome, oh what?! No! OK that's what the timers were made for. So the cab is here! Let's play! Oh...what? Monitor isn't any good...damn...what to do?...hold on! I just had the most amazing idea! Let's upgrade this bitch! I mean, we gotta get rid off this old POS heavy as tube, who cares about low rez, that's not uptempo enough for my hipster ways, I got it! Wide 16:9 ratio is gonna be sick son!!! Oh damn it install so easy! I can't believe I'm this good! Wait wait, let's take some more pics so I can show off the laboour of love I just created! I mean why in hell would no one like this right? The cab weights less, easy to play with the hood open but if not I can always close it and enjoy the cooling gap on the bezel, so awesome! Now I can even play better, so competitive, so hip! I better post this and crown that NG.com place, they're gonna chant my name thanks to my visionaire contemporary ways...and my elephant asshole skin jordans.

Last edited:

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
@SUPREME
I hope this LED is not permanent and do your self a favor by putting that egret2 back to original specs , you will thank your self down the road
Also there's alot of people speceally here that could help you get the parts needed for your cab

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
About SUPREME
Biography:Neo-Geo fan and Candy Cab collector. Hard core fighting game player.

Guyz...this guy is the real deal, we just don't understand his vision...hard core fighting game player, yo!

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
It's been beaten to death, but you ought to repair the CRT or source a replacement.
Your LED-backlit LCD monitor (which is not "an LED") is, for starters, a TN panel. Even in your picture it's clear how even the slightest angle has shifted the colors undesirably.

In addition, you are feeding an analogue input to that display, and it's stretching it. It is literally impossible for it to not have at least one frame of lag. I'm guessing you're using one of the GBS scaler boards which look like a turd compared to every other scaling solution. If you're going to retrofit an LCD, please get a nicer one with better viewing angles and invest in a better scaling device. The aspect ratio is also clearly wrong, and everything is extremely stretched out. You could letterbox it, but then you'll have a very sad tiny viewing area. This LCD is not going to be a winner in any circumstance.

Or, just repair the CRT. Even the tube on its own is valuable.

I am not trying to shit on you - I think this was an honest mistake of a decision that just wasn't thought through too thoroughly. In addition, while nobody should really care about your clothing choices in this context, you should really avoid taking "artsy" shots with bad filters, angles near the ground, and the lens out of focus, as it isn't appropriate for what you're trying to do, which is show people something.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
What do you mean?! I really like how he rolls up then denim cultures and shows off that emancipated pale skin between his sweet high top sneakers and his smoking threads. The filters enhance the experience of this monitor enhancement showcase!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What do you mean?! I really like how he rolls up then denim cultures and shows off that emancipated pale skin between his sweet high top sneakers and his smoking threads. The filters enhance the experience of this monitor enhancement showcase!

Elephant asshole skin jordans lol.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
This guy... Nah. Actually it's a house, and I'm working on my "game center" it's an extra room that I wanted too make it like I stepped into Akihabara, Japan...

Have you ever been to Japan? I assure you there is not food layering the floors and LCD's shoved into butchered Egret II's.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Does everyone from Boston troll ppl with shitty questions just to get a rise outta ppl and act like dicks...? I dunno, but I'm sure it's clean since places like; Club SEGA, Taito Station, and other game centers keep it nice and clean since they are running a business... Psshhh.

They are use to seeing an actual Egret II.
E2_1-1.jpg

Just wanted too show you guys hooking up my new L.E.D. Upgrade for a 1996 Japanese "candy Cab"(Egret II).

Thoughts, or comments welcomed

Most ppl when they get a cab, clean it thoroughly first. Before adding new parts or a "New LED". Most, before they even put it in their gameroom or dedicated place for it.

Last edited:

SUPREME

Do not reply to my posts and call me Scott Evil. ,
They are use to seeing an actual Egret II.
View attachment 17588

Most ppl when they get a cab, clean it thoroughly first. Before adding new parts or a "New LED". Most, before they even put it in their gameroom or dedicated place for it.

Yeah, I know. The thing is that I got back from LA and got the cabs out of storage. I think we can all say I jumped the gun on a lot of things when I posted this. By the way I noticed your SEGA Naomi Uni cab badge sig below. My Uni is going up here next but I need to plan before I shoot to avoid too much back lash.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I play fighting games competitively playing UMvC3, USF4, 3rd strike, and others.

Yet you went with a Vizio, which doesn't have a model out there with an Input Lag below 25ms.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, I know. The thing is that I got back from LA and got the cabs out of storage. I think we can all say I jumped the gun on a lot of things when I posted this. By the way I noticed your SEGA Naomi Uni cab badge sig below. My Uni is going up here next but I need to plan before I shoot to avoid too much back lash.

Well, your thread title didn't help you I can tell you that much. If it was titled WIP it would be understandable.

Yes, I have a Naomi that I rescued from a dumpster and restored it, with its original 29-S monitor. It runs Naomi via Netboot with a Raspberry Pi and has a J360 passthru for newer games. They all look great at 640x480.

You asked for comments. I am being honest.

SUPREME

Do not reply to my posts and call me Scott Evil. ,
Ok guys, maybe this will get the gun out of my mouth a little.. He's she is in her full glory when I first got her.image.jpg