Lmao Blade Runner 2049

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Here's Part 1 of my off-the-cuff pseudo-review... Writing this all down has helped me come around a bit. I'm hoping I have time to see this again Sunday.

Acting

The acting and cast were nearly perfect. Gosling plays a character similar to Driver, which is exactly what I wanted, but acts actually *more human* than Driver. I think this was a good choice. Deckard was hard boiled, brooding, didn’t give a fuck. Having K be the same character would have been a mistake. So taking Gosling's character from Drive and adjusting him so he’s not a wannabe Deckard was probably the best way to go about things. I get that some people hate Gosling automatically. I want to punch James Franco in the face whenever I see him. But Gosling does an objectively good job.

One of the first fears that popped into my mind when the movie was announced was that Harrison Ford would be too decrepit to play Deckard well. I think one of the low points of Episode VII was how emaciated he looked. I don’t know what they did, but he looks fucking jacked in Blade Runner 2049. He pulls off all his lines. He seems to have loosened up a bit compared to 2019, but that makes sense given the plot. Then again, they could have gone in the opposite direction and made him a maniac. That could have easily gotten off the rails, though. So I have no complaints about Ford or the character of Deckard.

Jared Leto the human is a douchebag, but his character nearly steals the show. He’s the perfect capitalist sociopath. He's completely dogmatic yet can’t look anyone in the eyes. You almost get the sense that he’s blind despite his implanted pupils. Perfect.

[I'm an r-tard. The lady actress was good. Nice kicking skills.]

So to summarize the acting and characters, A+.

Design

Design was such a huge part of Blade Runner’s success. The architecture, the streets, the crowds of people, the storefronts… Everything was just a little off. It made you feel not like you were in the dystopian future but a slightly deranged alternate universe. It was off just enough to feel uncanny. I don’t think 2049 captures this nearly as well as the original, but it’s still well done. The shots of the skyline and the streets are a little more vanilla compared to the original, but the smog and decrepitude (reference intended) still have impact.

The wardrobe is also great but not as dramatic as the original. Trenchcoat noir. Gosling’s coat creates a collar to function, presumably, as a respirator due to the degrading environment, which is a great subtle addition. Jovovich in retro-futurist haute couture stuff. Leto in a gi. It’s all there. But nothing in this movie quite touches Rachel’s oversized fur coat collar, the eye engineer’s plug-in jacket, or Salome’s transparent raincoat. Speaking of rain, why the fuck don’t the umbrellas in 2049 have neon in them?

Obviously, one the most famous pieces of prop design ever is Deckard’s blaster, even though the thing barely had any close-ups. K’s gadgets are not as iconic, but are still very cool and still very Blade Runner. He has a portable scanner to detect Replicants, an upgraded blaster that, like K’s personality, is similar to that of Deckard but different enough to be its own thing. And of course, his cruiser is fucking awesome.

The city itself is nice, but not quite there. Like I said before, Blade Runner’s city felt uncanny, if not intimidating or unsettling. The hodgepodge of people, the vendors, the gothic, nearly biomechanical-looking blimps, the advertising. 2049 gets the vendors and the advertising right for sure. But the city just feels a bit sterilized compared to the original. I feel like I could have waled through there no problem, where as if I walked through the city of the original Blade Runner, I would have had at least 3 people trying to steal my organs, hand me their infant child, or projectile vomit on me.

One highlight is the birthing station for new Replicants. This can be seen in the trailers. Most production designers would have automatically gone for a Matrix-style pod. In 2049, the Replicants gestate in a plastic bag hung from the ceiling and slough their way out. This is natural biology-meets-objectification. It's super unsettling and it's super original. I love it.

So all in all for the design, I’m slightly disappointed. I would have like to see the Tyrell building in the middle of being disassembled, parts of the city bombed out, etc. I feel like this was a slight watering down of the city rather than a 30 year advancement down the spiral of pollution, crime, and poverty. Yet the wardrobe, gadgets, and non-city sets are all great. I give the design a C+, subtracting points mainly for the city itself and the lack of an absolutely killer fusion of fashion and gadgetry.

Music

This will be a quick one. Vangelis isn’t dead. ‘80s style synth music is en vogue. Why the fuck didn't Vangelis score this movie?? There are occasional swells from a Yamaha CS-80, but most of the soundtrack is what you’d expect of a more generic cyberpunk movie. There are a couple of dramatic synth riffs that work wonders, but I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t bring Vangelis back. His soundtrack was such an import part of the original movie.

That said, music plays a less important role in Blade Runner 2049. This movie is less of a noire compared to the original. There are fewer brooding scenes with no dialogue, which would have been filled with swirls and rainy-day sax lines. So the lack of music in the same style of the original movie isn’t as glaring an absence as it could have been.

Music gets a C+.

Pacing

If I the runtime of the movie hadn’t made headlines, I would have never guessed it's 2:45. There are some 2-hour movies that feel like they’re 4 hours. This felt like a 90 minute movie. It’s constantly moving, yet you never feel rushed.

A+

Special Effects

Blade Runner was a special effects marvel, mainly due to the shots of the city. There’s nothing groundbreaking in 2049, and I think that’s fine. What they do isn’t particularly difficult to pull off, but it is effective. In particular, holographic advertisements and characters often glitch, either by producing visual artifacts or by looping like a broken record. This takes a character that you nearly forgot isn’t real and slaps you in the face. There is also a scene that uses a hologram to create the most artistic pre-coital moments you’ll ever see.

Furthermore, 2049’s CGI never looks fake. They never do anything too wild and I doubt this will look dated in 10 years.

A-

COMING SOON:

Themes and Mood

Plot and Dialogue

I'm saving these for last because three of these are the things I have the most complaints about.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Hype is real. I loved it.
it's like Ridley Scott had actual editors instead of people too afraid to give feedback. Imagine Alien Covenant if those editors weren't such pussies.

My theatre had that sound cranked, and it was amazing when the music hit.

i'll ramble on later if needed, but go see it.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The movie is well constructed and executed.

It's also an entirely unnecessary sequel that didn't really provoke any further thought about the series' themes and concepts.

It's good, but didn't really take me anywhere I hadn't already been with the first one.

It's fine. It's fine. But it didn't deepen the impression the first film already left on me.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member

It's also an entirely unnecessary sequel that didn't really provoke any further thought about the series' themes and concepts.

It's good, but didn't really take me anywhere I hadn't already been with the first one.

It's fine. It's fine. But it didn't deepen the impression the first film already left on me.

Agree 100 percent. I would say it was about a 6-7/10 score for me. It felt like it was trying to emulate the first one without any of the real power.

Overall I'm disappointed. Funny how this movie is getting such different reactions from people.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

The good news is that this is tanking about as hard if not harder than Alien Covenant.

Hopefully Scott will take a cue and kill himself. He’s not mentally fit and has been destroying his portfolio in a greedy hollywood fire.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The good news is that this is tanking about as hard if not harder than Alien Covenant.

Hopefully Scott will take a cue and kill himself. He’s not mentally fit and has been destroying his portfolio in a greedy hollywood fire.

As uneven, maybe even misguided as Alien: Covenant was, I feel it's a more interesting film than Blade Runner 2049.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
seems like some of you are displeased because it's just more of the same. That is why it's so great.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
seems like some of you are displeased because it's just more of the same. That is why it's so great.

Those of us who aren't gushing about the movie aren't saying it's a bad movie. I think we're all conceding that it's a well constructed film. It's just unnecessary. It extends themes that have had thirty years to percolate in our collective consciousness and adds nothing new to them. It just looks at them through a different lens, but that lens doesn't offer anything new for us to see.

Blade Runner 2049 has a right to exist. It just doesn't have any reason to.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
What i want to know...

Is... are there any Trans Replicants?

That is the extent of my interest in this film...

xROTx

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
What i want to know...

Is... are there any Trans Replicants?

That is the extent of my interest in this film...

xROTx

Both films show replicants transitioning into heightened states of self awareness.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Both films show replicants transitioning into heightened states of self awareness.

BOOBIEZ WIV CAWK!

...it's the only thing that us viewers need to know...

xROTx

PS. If not... I am gonna watch The Martian again... Matt Damon planting potatoes fertilised by his own faeces is a better story...

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
As uneven, maybe even misguided as Alien: Covenant was, I feel it's a more interesting film than Blade Runner 2049.

I loved Alien: Covenant. My expectations were rock bottom going into it though.. loved all the awesome death scenes. Had an emotional reaction to seeing aliens on the big screen again - I'm easy to please.

Blade Runner 2049... I was just chatting with a good buddy who loved it. I feel like we watched different films.

The fly over city scenes were fantastic.. I'll have to watch this one again in a few months with a fresh set of eyes.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I loved Alien: Covenant. My expectations were rock bottom going into it though.. loved all the awesome death scenes. Had an emotional reaction to seeing aliens on the big screen again - I'm easy to please.

Blade Runner 2049... I was just chatting with a good buddy who loved it. I feel like we watched different films.

The fly over city scenes were fantastic.. I'll have to watch this one again in a few months with a fresh set of eyes.

Alien: Covenant is a very uneven film whose entire premise is born out of another well intentioned but poorly executed effort in Prometheus.

Once I put aside my nerdy adherence to the purity of its canon, which has always been questionable and easy to disregard as it concerns the Alien franchise (wholly the fault of Fox and Brandywine for not respecting it to begin with), I found myself engaged by those two movies. Like Blade Runner, they're more concerned with their themes than their stories or execution. I always like to say that you should separate the art from the artist, but with an aging auteur like Ridley Scott, who seems to be concerning himself with life's larger questions after decades of lived experiences, I think it's difficult to do that. You have to consider the artist when contemplating his art in the case of these films which revisit some of his earliest cinematic works. This includes films such as Alien, which is nothing more than a late 70s era monster movie in space with peerless visual and audio craftsmanship, older works that he is now seeing in all new lights.

With Blade Runner 2049, my expectations were very different because that film was asking important existential questions, which all of the best science fiction endeavors towards. Take out the themes of life and living and what you're left with is a visually stunning but slow paced and kind of boring movie. It's the themes that energize its beats and structure the whole way through. This is to take nothing away from Syd Mead's fabulous contribution but we've seen a lot of great looking, vapid movies. Blade Runner is the result of gestalt. Blade Runner 2049 is the same recipe using newer ingredients.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Alien: Covenant is a very uneven film whose entire premise is born out of another well intentioned but poorly executed effort in Prometheus.

Once I put aside my nerdy adherence to the purity of its canon, which has always been questionable and easy to disregard as it concerns the Alien franchise (wholly the fault of Fox and Brandywine for not respecting it to begin with), I found myself engaged by those two movies. Like Blade Runner, they're more concerned with their themes than their stories or execution. I always like to say that you should separate the art from the artist, but with an aging auteur like Ridley Scott, who seems to be concerning himself with life's larger questions after decades of lived experiences, I think it's difficult to do that. You have to consider the artist when contemplating his art in the case of these films which revisit some of his earliest cinematic works. This includes films such as Alien, which is nothing more than a late 70s era monster movie in space with peerless visual and audio craftsmanship, older works that he is now seeing in all new lights.

With Blade Runner 2049, my expectations were very different because that film was asking important existential questions, which all of the best science fiction endeavors towards. Take out the themes of life and living and what you're left with is a visually stunning but slow paced and kind of boring movie. It's the themes that energize its beats and structure the whole way through. This is to take nothing away from Syd Mead's fabulous contribution but we've seen a lot of great looking, vapid movies. Blade Runner is the result of gestalt. Blade Runner 2049 is the same recipe using newer ingredients.

Blade Runner was based on the PKD source material. 2049 is based on what DV and RS think will appeal to audiences.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
My theatre had that sound cranked, and it was amazing when the music hit.

Some of those sound effects (most noticeably when shots were fired) and synth hits seemed incredibly loud at my theatre. My seat shook.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
The hell is fakexsound talkin about milla jovavich?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I just watched this........

I was blown away. When the credits came, I just quietly started at the screen in total silence. I was so impressed with this film, and I am not easily impressed when it comes to movies. I thought it was a masterpiece. Like, I feel like I somehow changed after watching this film. I know that sounds absurd, but I can't put my finger on it. It was astounding.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Good posts Wasabi.

I'm working on seeing it tonight.

I imagine Harrison Ford will just retire from acting now that he has discovered he has all these shitty broken kids from different franchises.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Even with my low expectations I found much to enjoy with this film. It's going to take some thinking over and a rewatch, but it certainly didn't suck. Even if Blade Runner didn't need a sequel this made for a fun night at the movies.

It's worth noting that the elderly woman (complete with blanket) sitting near us fell to sleep pretty quickly though.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Milla Jovovich… Those Resident Evil movies are absolute trash, yet Jovovich is the female action hero that Scarlet Johansson will never be. She’s another actor who nearly steals the show. She’s an ice queen killing machine. Cersi level death stares. Yet she'll cry at the strangest times. It makes you wonder if Replicants have psychological issues that are caused more by glitches and overloads than by chemical imbalances or devastating life events. Again, perfect.

WTF movie did you watch? Milla is certainly NOT in 2049...

The hell is fakexsound talkin about milla jovavich?

+1

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
It's worth noting that the elderly woman (complete with blanket) sitting near us fell to sleep pretty quickly though.

I've been seeing so many blankets in theatres the last few years. It makes me wonder, as a chronically tired person, why one would plan to get really comfortable at a movie one intends to finish. Maybe that's my answer?

Also, I've noticed myself thinking about the movie on and off since seeing it, and I'm liking it even more.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Blade Runner 2049 has a right to exist. It just doesn't have any reason to.

I could easily argue 99% of the arts don't have a reason to exist.....
It doesnt have to add layers of plot and intrigue to the blade runner setting in order to justify existence.

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I've been seeing so many blankets in theatres the last few years. It makes me wonder, as a chronically tired person, why one would plan to get really comfortable at a movie one intends to finish. Maybe that's my answer?

Also, I've noticed myself thinking about the movie on and off since seeing it, and I'm liking it even more.
Simple point for blankets in theaters here. Its hot as hell outside and cold as shit inside. I mean its humid and high 80's so you're wearing shorts and a light shirt. But inside the theater is around 60. Its moronic how cold they keep it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Saw it yesterday morning, I liked it. There was a special screening of the original final cut version a week before so that helped get me up to speed but in saying that this new one only gives me more questions.