It can be dangerous to be black and a legal gun owner in America

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Such a hard choice for some to make.
Give into one's Libertarian leanings or one's authoritarianism leanings.

But trump is just such an authoritarian magnet that he pulls in otherwise libertarian minded people with strong authoritarian personality types.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

This is an interesting case.

The “gunman” seems like he could argue self defense - received a blow to the head (which is a use of deadly force), was tackled, and appeared to be about be beaten by multiple people. A reasonable person might believe their life was in danger.

Of course it seems like he riled the group and/or used fighting words which is probably detrimental to that defense. I don’t know, I should’ve went to law school.

Kudos to the militia guy who kicked the gun away and stood on it until the police showed up.

Too bad these militia guys support a fucktard cause.

Seriously you want to protect a statue of a conquistador?!? LMFAO.

Sounds like we don’t know if the shooter was in the militia?

Idiots ruin everything.

Marek

Banned
If the pulling down of a statue of a slave trader/conquistador/confederate traitor ruins your way of life you are either A) a racist or B) a pigeon.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If the pulling down of a statue of a slave trader/conquistador/confederate traitor ruins your way of life you are either A) a racist or B) a pigeon.
Yeah, I saw that sign in a photo from one of the protests. Classic.

Spin is a dangerous tool.
Seems like a mean thing to say when he hasn't been around in a long time to defend himself.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Saw this in the news in Maryland where some people were petitioning strangers on reddit to have a statue removed from Whites Ferry, which connects Maryland to Virginia.

The statue in question is of a confederate soldier, which was in front of a courthouse and removed by the county. Now, at White's Ferry, it's on private property, and people are still trying to go after it. Never mind that White's Ferry is named after Elijah V. White, and the ferry boat itself is named after Jubal Anderson Early. And that's fine, because the tax payers aren't paying for it. They can continue not to pay for it at their discretion, by not using the ferry.

But some people still want to take things too far.

Marek

Banned
Saw this in the news in Maryland where some people were petitioning strangers on reddit to have a statue removed from Whites Ferry, which connects Maryland to Virginia.

The statue in question is of a confederate soldier, which was in front of a courthouse and removed by the county. Now, at White's Ferry, it's on private property, and people are still trying to go after it. Never mind that White's Ferry is named after Elijah V. White, and the ferry boat itself is named after Jubal Anderson Early. And that's fine, because the tax payers aren't paying for it. They can continue not to pay for it at their discretion, by not using the ferry.

Yeah. Nashville has this gem https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest_Statue

Its legendary for how bizarre the facial features are and how generally tacky and poorly constructed the statue is

Private property is private property.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
it looks amazingly bad. so bad, that it has to be kept there, to show people what a confederate leader looks like.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

I heard of a petition to rename Lynchburg but I'm unsure how popular that idea is.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
They should tear down every propaganda monument. Confederates, yeah, but all the rest too. Mt Rushmore, Washington Monument, Lincoln, all of it.

War criminals, the whole lot of them. Most of them slave owners 9n top of that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
They should tear down every propaganda monument. Confederates, yeah, but all the rest too. Mt Rushmore, Washington Monument, Lincoln, all of it.

Oh, go fuck yourself, Chomsky.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

"all statues matter" has entered the chatroom.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
"all statues matter" has entered the chatroom.

Are you implying chat (as in me...) has the leading authority on how to dispose of centuries age tradition in favour of SJW Sandy Vag coonts?

...because if we do... my personal opinion is... History is what it is... and there are some aspects we should be wary of, but all in all... why tear down shit to accommodate sandy Vag SJW types who feel they own the fuckin' world...

xROTx

Marek

Banned
Are you implying chat (as in me...) has the leading authority on how to dispose of centuries age tradition in favour of SJW Sandy Vag coonts?

...because if we do... my personal opinion is... History is what it is... and there are some aspects we should be wary of, but all in all... why tear down shit to accommodate sandy Vag SJW types who feel they own the fuckin' world...

xROTx

"Xyz enters the chat" is a meme

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

xROTx

I don't agree. These are not statues, they are monuments, history is not just part of the past, it is part of the present. When you are in a city the whole place is a living breathing thing.
I don't agree with anything goes, I do believe that if these altar pieces aren't removed by the powers that be, then there isn't much choice but to gather and pull them down. We are responsible for this part of history.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Oh, go fuck yourself, Chomsky.

Nah.

Teddy Roosevelt was a genocidal monster.
Washington owned slaves.
Jefferson owned slaves.
Lincoln was s shitbag lawyer who shilled for the railroad unions and suspended habeas corpas, jailed and deported political rivals, and had his boys Sherman and Grant destroy farms, libraries, schools, hospitals, records halls, etc.

None of them should be worshipped like they are. We put them up on a pedestal and many generations of politicians use that reverence to justify their own atrocities.

If anyone in American history deserved to be honored it was guys like Thomas Paine.

Fuck the Confederacy, too. Tear it all down.