Minneapolis is going to disband the police department

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Nah, I don't believe it. There will be an organization similar to the police that will come from it, it's just going to be built from the ground up for reform (supposedly).

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Let's wait and see what the replacement actually looks like.

I'm more concerned about police unions than what they call the place the members work at.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
GregN hasn't left his house since this all began.

He hasn’t come here in ages. Must have figured out the colonel’s secret recipe and is protecting it from outsiders. It’s a full time job.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
So i've seen people requesting to get rid of police. Who the fuck are people supposed to call in criminal situation?
They act like crime is at an all time high. It's the lowest.

Marek

Banned
So i've seen people requesting to get rid of police. Who the fuck are people supposed to call in criminal situation?

Theres truly nothing better than having a cop do the right thing when you need help and they are the only ones who can fix a situation.

No one saying we should abolish police should be taken seriously in any way. The defund police argument is more about taking away their budget for toys and 6 figure salaries for desk job cops that protect the "bad apples" as far as I can tell.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Getting rid of police is retarded. Maybe they mean de-militarizing police. Or maybe they're retarded.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Theres truly nothing better than having a cop do the right thing when you need help and they are the only ones who can fix a situation.

No one saying we should abolish police should be taken seriously in any way. The defund police argument is more about taking away their budget for toys and 6 figure salaries for desk job cops that protect the "bad apples" as far as I can tell.

mai nage

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Translation?
Here you go
e267d6f46fbd6e0c2418caa027e08087.jpg

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

The main goal is to cut police funding. You know, like the governments have been doing to education, except now it will focus on all the failed students who get blue uniforms and carry guns and attack minorities to feel better about themselves.

Sarcasm aside, cutting funding has been show to decrease police activity where it’s not needed, and that’s a start. It would also compel the police to make tough decisions on staff. That racist cop won’t be seen as affordable and necessary when the department is forced to tighten its belt.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member

The police don't have a duty to respond when there is a criminal situation.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
lol, Andrew Yang was suggesting the replacements be called "guardians" and someone responded that they should be called "Judges" and given cool helmets.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Sarcasm aside, cutting funding has been show to decrease police activity where it’s not needed, and that’s a start. It would also compel the police to make tough decisions on staff. That racist cop won’t be seen as affordable and necessary when the department is forced to tighten its belt.

Except that without actionable discipline, the racist cop isn't necessarily the first to go since all (? most?) departments will have a union contract.

It will be interesting to see what sort of outcomes various movements produce and the downstream effects on smaller police forces. I will admit that in my municipality, police are viewed as one of the services that can be provided as a local government. Whether you can convince an average citizen that they will be better off with fewer officers and less policing is probably a down the road question. I imagine it being like polls about Congress. People hate Congress, but they love their Congressman. The problem is always someone else, not us. So for police people will say MPLS needs to do something, but us, eh, we like our cops and how we're doing it, they can stay.

The police budget is ~50% of the total annual budget and that is similar around the region, but to give up their own police, then you rely on state troopers and get an increase in response times and a less local familiarity of responding officers. Even within the City of Pittsburgh, certain neighborhoods are often at odds with each other because of real or perceived differences in police focus within a Zone.

I don't know how police forces are setup in various states, I'm sure they all differ, but in PA lots of departments were using Part-Time officers that might work at 2 or 3 different departments (mostly until they could find a full-time position). In the last handful of years, for the paying rates of $20/hour or less, no one was taking the jobs and locally we ended up budgeting for additional full-time positions and scrapped dealing with part-time altogether. The overall headache of interviewing, onboarding, training, etc, just to have them leave in a year or less just wasn't worth it.

For a non-degree job, I will say that there are a lot of upsides, but I also don't think it is really the best job in the world (even putting aside personal reasons why I would never do it), the hours suck, the starting pay is good but not amazing, and you do end up dealing with at least some shitty people.

Is there a way to increase the quality of officers if we put less money than ever toward the 'problem'? I'm not sure.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member

Don't forget that we a lawsuit where it was ruled that the police do not have to protect someone
https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/...ot-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

It's really more focusing on the bloated budgets for these departments. Look how much money is wasted on these toys/military style gear that could be better spent elsewhere. I know here at least, the police department bragged about spending a ton of money on green vehicles, guess how often those got used?
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/201...ion-lapd-electric-bmws-appear-unused-misused/

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Except that without actionable discipline, the racist cop isn't necessarily the first to go since all (? most?) departments will have a union contract.

It will be interesting to see what sort of outcomes various movements produce and the downstream effects on smaller police forces. I will admit that in my municipality, police are viewed as one of the services that can be provided as a local government. Whether you can convince an average citizen that they will be better off with fewer officers and less policing is probably a down the road question. I imagine it being like polls about Congress. People hate Congress, but they love their Congressman. The problem is always someone else, not us. So for police people will say MPLS needs to do something, but us, eh, we like our cops and how we're doing it, they can stay.

The police budget is ~50% of the total annual budget and that is similar around the region, but to give up their own police, then you rely on state troopers and get an increase in response times and a less local familiarity of responding officers. Even within the City of Pittsburgh, certain neighborhoods are often at odds with each other because of real or perceived differences in police focus within a Zone.

I don't know how police forces are setup in various states, I'm sure they all differ, but in PA lots of departments were using Part-Time officers that might work at 2 or 3 different departments (mostly until they could find a full-time position). In the last handful of years, for the paying rates of $20/hour or less, no one was taking the jobs and locally we ended up budgeting for additional full-time positions and scrapped dealing with part-time altogether. The overall headache of interviewing, onboarding, training, etc, just to have them leave in a year or less just wasn't worth it.

For a non-degree job, I will say that there are a lot of upsides, but I also don't think it is really the best job in the world (even putting aside personal reasons why I would never do it), the hours suck, the starting pay is good but not amazing, and you do end up dealing with at least some shitty people.

Is there a way to increase the quality of officers if we put less money than ever toward the 'problem'? I'm not sure.

If your money is paying for bad police, then by paying less your quality will definitely improve.

And Pittsburgh police were a joke 20 years ago. Any time they’d see a red they’d flip on their siren and run the light. If they wanted to pull someone over, they could just make up a reason. People stabbed at the O? Police no show. 4:00 am they’d be found at the Dunkin Donuts. No accountability. No respect of the law. If those same cops are now in charge, I can imagine it is worse.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
He hasn’t come here in ages. Must have figured out the colonel’s secret recipe and is protecting it from outsiders. It’s a full time job.
He was bound to figure it out eventually. There are only so many possible combinations of 11 herbs and spices.

It would also compel the police to make tough decisions on staff. That racist cop won’t be seen as affordable and necessary when the department is forced to tighten its belt.
I think it's more likely that only the worst candidates will still be attracted to the profession once it has been made this much harder for an underfunded department to operate. Instead of weeding out the "bad apples", the smaller pool that departments draw from will be made exclusively from horrible racists who absolutely need to get their shitkicking on. No one even remotely decent will want to have anything to do with it.

But whatshername is correct that incremental reform has been an abysmal failure.