Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I never read the book but in highschool I was obsessed with the soundtrack/score.
Ugh. I had a friend that was obsessed with that too. I watched the movie for the first time since I was a kid a couple months ago and was surprised that the theme song is used about 15 times throughout the movie, it's ridiculous. Three time would have been okay but it's constant. The movie itself is okay, there are some great action/battle scenes.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Fuck the haters in listening to the main theme right now. I think the love story in the movie is really lame. Great fight scenes.

Interesting and decently accurate representations of interactions between the regular English Army and the Colonial Militia/Irregulars.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Old - M Night strikes out with this one after a recent streak of solid movies. The lush cinematography could not overcome the terrible script, annoying characters and pacing issues. The "twist" was so obvious even I saw it coming a mile off, and the whole thing could have been avoided if...
Spoiler:
the kid had read the message on the way to the beach, which he clearly would have done if the film didn't need to save it as a plot device for later.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Old - M Night strikes out with this one after a recent streak of solid movies. The lush cinematography could not overcome the terrible script, annoying characters and pacing issues. The "twist" was so obvious even I saw it coming a mile off, and the whole thing could have been avoided if...
Spoiler:
the kid had read the message on the way to the beach, which he clearly would have done if the film didn't need to save it as a plot device for later.
I honestly didn't even know Shamalama had a new movie.

I remember losing interest in his stuff with The Village because the twist was so telegraphed (as usual).

Still tho, 6th Sense and Signs are fun for people who have never seen em.

I actually like Lady in the Water though, but mainly because of Paul Giamatti's little breakdown toward the end. That's the best acting in the entire film.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I honestly didn't even know Shamalama had a new movie.

I remember losing interest in his stuff with The Village because the twist was so telegraphed (as usual).

Still tho, 6th Sense and Signs are fun for people who have never seen em.

I actually like Lady in the Water though, but mainly because of Paul Giamatti's little breakdown toward the end. That's the best acting in the entire film.
Check out Split and The Visit if you haven't already. I really enjoyed both of those. I thought Glass was good as well but I'm probably in the minority there.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If anyone else had been cast in Split instead of James Macavoy if would have been a laughable mess.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Unbreakable is his best work and it still holds up.

Split is pretty good as a follow up.

Glass isn't the worst third film in a trilogy but it's definitely a lot weaker than the other two.

The Sixth Sense is good once.

Everything else Shamalalamlamalaman made was awful.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Split's the only decent M. Night movie of the last fifteen years and that's only because, as mentioned, James McAvoy acted his fucking ass off. Admittedly I haven't watched the last few (I gave up after The Visit) but once he became "the twist guy", his movies became less about suspense and character writing and more about waiting to see how asinine the twist would be. It's like if Psycho was Hitchcock's first movie and he just chased that high for the rest of his career and failed miserably over and over.

Plus his insistence on inserting himself in to his own movies gives me douche chills. I turned off Lady in the Water when it became apparent that he was Mary Sueing himself in to his own fucking movie. Dude, you're not fucking Hitchcock. Get your ass back behind the camera where you belong.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Oh shit you're right I forgot he directed split and Glass.

Totally forgot about Unbreakable as well. That's definitely his best one, and I agree about Split. Good stuff.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I'm a fan of Devil, it's not a well known M Night movie but it's a semi horror suspense of people that get killed off one by one in an elevator. Worth a watch. I know M Night is very hit or miss, but I could usually appreciate what he's getting at.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Why would demons have invisible space ships?

April Fools Day- 80s slasher with a twist. Amazingly somehow I hadn't seen this but a friend told me one of the best episodes of Psych was an homage to this and I was not disappointed.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Antichrist, has Willem Dafoe in it. Terrible movie and I saw things cut off I didn't need to see.

Hobo with a Shotgun, absolutely fucking ridiculous and yet I really liked it. Trashy as all fuck but it does what it says its gonna do, give a hobo a shotgun...and a vengeance against society. 100% recommend for a bit of fun.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Antichrist, has Willem Dafoe in it. Terrible movie and I saw things cut off I didn't need to see.

Hobo with a Shotgun, absolutely fucking ridiculous and yet I really liked it. Trashy as all fuck but it does what it says its gonna do, give a hobo a shotgun...and a vengeance against society. 100% recommend for a bit of fun.
Did you not know what Antichrist was about or who directed it beforehand?

Hobo with a Shotgun is awesome. Up there with Turbo Kid for modern Canadian shlock.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Hobo with a Shotgun is awesome. Up there with Turbo Kid for modern Canadian shlock.
I go into a lot of films disregarding what I read of them prior to make up my own mind about them. It uhh doesn't always end well.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Yah, you get what you came for. Weiners get lopped off, that's just kinda par for the course. Von Trier sort of does these things.

Anyway.

Went with the Bernthal/Grillo double feature:

Sweet Virginia: Loved it. In the ballpark of Blue Ruin, which is a compliment I don't think I've given before. Not quite up to that standard, but holy hell if it isn't close. Abbott nailed the role, and Bernthal was right there with him. Best movie I've seen in quite a while. Beautiful pacing, perfect sense of tension. Seriously, watch this.

Donnybrook: Frank Grillo and Jamie Bell and gratuitous violence, that's my jam, right?.... No. So, so bad. Utterly inane characters, barely any action to make up for it, just terrible. Worst movie I've seen in a long time. Absolutely do not waste your time on this shit.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Das Boot: Possibly the best WW2 Submarine (U-Boat) warfare film I have ever seen. It's long, It's German and probably not quite what you were expecting at times (lol) but it is so well put together you don't ever feel like it is taking forever to finish the 3.5hour epic.

The Babadook: I'll be honest and say I am not overly fond of Australian cinema, my native accent on the screen tends to irk me. However this film was done well, It's just your usual posession horror flick and yet it had me feeling uneasy. Not bad at all and thankfully the actors accents were of a more reserved Australian style, more british and I think that helped tremendously. I don't need to hear more Crocodile Dundee, that shit is crass.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Whispering Coridors 2: Memento Mori

This sequel went a completely different way than the first movie in that it's barely a horror movie. It's supposed to be a ghost story about lovers but it's actually a love story with ghosts.

If I was to show this movie to some one who had no idea what it was, they'll think it's a bad romance movie about lesbians and be confused at the haunting that happened in the end scene.

It would of been great if they kept the whole finding the diary of a dead girl and things slowly escalate the more the secrets of the diary is revealed, but after the first half hour they seem to of given up on that idea and concentrated on the love story.

I'd still say it's not a bad movie if you look at it as a teenage love story gone wrong, but it fails terribly as a horror movie. The funny part is this is the entry that seems to represent the entire series.