Horrendous control systems

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Electric cars have been in Gran Turismo since…the last time I played Gran Turismo, which was like a decade ago. They are sort of boring to drive, like an RC, they quickly accelerate to a certain speed and then more or less cap out there with virtually no reserve torque so your top speed is dependent on the grade of the road.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about having EVs forced on the American public. Europeans in large cities…quite possibly. The reality is that Americans want wasteful machines to drive around in. Making it electric isn’t going to make it any less stupid to daily an F-250 to a desk job and back. Before we even learn this though we will see the market simply not be able to fill all the segments it does now with ICEs. You can’t trailer four horses across three states on batteries in any way that makes engineering sense. You can’t go on a trip upstate in a Range Rover that has no fucking range, etc. All of this will become apparent as we attempt to go though this.

And the fires. The first high profile celebrity suicide by Tesla will change the industry. When a 700lb LiPo battery goes up in flames while charging in Jay Leno’s garage…people will think twice.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Electric cars have been in Gran Turismo since…the last time I played Gran Turismo, which was like a decade ago. They are sort of boring to drive, like an RC, they quickly accelerate to a certain speed and then more or less cap out there with virtually no reserve torque so your top speed is dependent on the grade of the road.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about having EVs forced on the American public. Europeans in large cities…quite possibly. The reality is that Americans want wasteful machines to drive around in. Making it electric isn’t going to make it any less stupid to daily an F-250 to a desk job and back. Before we even learn this though we will see the market simply not be able to fill all the segments it does now with ICEs. You can’t trailer four horses across three states on batteries in any way that makes engineering sense. You can’t go on a trip upstate in a Range Rover that has no fucking range, etc. All of this will become apparent as we attempt to go though this.

And the fires. The first high profile celebrity suicide by Tesla will change the industry. When a 700lb LiPo battery goes up in flames while charging in Jay Leno’s garage…people will think twice.
Nah. The change is already underway, the speed of it will take you by surprise.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I work in auto developement and have for some time. I know more or less what is taking place, I’m part of it. More importantly though I’m also aware that no amount of engineering can outperform the stupidity of the customer. Huge things cannot be economical. They can’t, no matter how much hype and venture capital and positivity you throw at it, you cannot beat the laws of physics. If you look before you leap on things like this you just get E85, billions of dollars thrown away at nothing, decades wasted.

Using batteries for EVERYTHING is not only wasteful, it’s quite literally impossible and for multiple reasons.

GM has contacted Bolt customers asking them to not park the car in their garage in case of fire while they research a fix that may never come. They are buying some cars back. We’ll see how it goes. My hope is that at least a decent B segment e car with a 800 mile range is eventually built…but I still wouldn’t park it in my garage.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I work in auto developement and have for some time. I know more or less what is taking place, I’m part of it. More importantly though I’m also aware that no amount of engineering can outperform the stupidity of the customer. Huge things cannot be economical. They can’t, no matter how much hype and venture capital and positivity you throw at it, you cannot beat the laws of physics. If you look before you leap on things like this you just get E85, billions of dollars thrown away at nothing, decades wasted.

Using batteries for EVERYTHING is not only wasteful, it’s quite literally impossible and for multiple reasons.

GM has contacted Bolt customers asking them to not park the car in their garage in case of fire while they research a fix that may never come. They are buying some cars back. We’ll see how it goes. My hope is that at least a decent B segment e car with a 800 mile range is eventually built…but I still wouldn’t park it in my garage.
Working in car development in america is like saying you work in the afghan female education sector.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Working in car development in america is like saying you work in the afghan female education sector.
Tell us more about female education in Afghanistan. I had no clue it was like Tesla, leading the world in innovation and technology, with a blistering acceleration and the top capacity battery tech.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Plus they have good control systems. I think the British car industry would be a better analogy, since it no longer exists.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Tell us more about female education in Afghanistan. I had no clue it was like Tesla, leading the world in innovation and technology, with a blistering acceleration and the top capacity battery tech.
I'm going to put my neck on the line and predict he doesn't work for Tesla.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Funny that people always talk about the fire hazards of electric vehicles when gasoline vehicles have the capacity to carry enough volatile fuel to burn down a school.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Funny that people always talk about the fire hazards of electric vehicles when gasoline vehicles have the capacity to carry enough volatile fuel to burn down a school.

Well, buy an electric car and when it goes up then YOU can explain to everyone else how not all fires are the same.

A school burns itself down, doesn't it? You just get it started, not the greatest metric.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well, buy an electric car and when it goes up then YOU can explain to everyone else how not all fires are the same.

A school burns itself down, doesn't it? You just get it started, not the greatest metric.
Do you concede the point?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

I've personally had an alternator catch fire in a gasoline car. I doubt electric cars pose a higher fire risk than gasoline cars. Do you have any statistical evidence to back up your assertions they are less safe?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I'm going to put my neck on the line and predict he doesn't work for Tesla.

No, I work in the actual auto business.

You guys realize this isn't 1964, right? Nissan does not build a car all on its own in a Japanese location and then mail it to the US fully formed. Every OEM that sells cars in the US has some level of US based engineering. Most "foreign" OEMs now make as much of the car in the US as they can. Many popular USDM cars from historically Japanese brands are exclusively sold in the US so thousands of Americans worked on cars like the USDM Accord, Ridgeline, etc and almost no Japanese people have ever seen or driven one. Nearly every BMW SUV made in the world is built in the US. Do you think Germans are building them, retard? I've worked for companies historically based in the US, UK, and Europe and I've done customer work for nearly every OEM I can name...and I did it in the US with the same people in many cases, some natural born citizens, some on visas, some with green cards, the name of the company changes, the work is the same.

StevenK

10 Year Member
No, I work in the actual auto business.

You guys realize this isn't 1964, right? Nissan does not build a car all on its own in a Japanese location and then mail it to the US fully formed. Every OEM that sells cars in the US has some level of US based engineering. Most "foreign" OEMs now make as much of the car in the US as they can. Many popular USDM cars from historically Japanese brands are exclusively sold in the US so thousands of Americans worked on cars like the USDM Accord, Ridgeline, etc and almost no Japanese people have ever seen or driven one. Nearly every BMW SUV made in the world is built in the US. Do you think Germans are building them, retard? I've worked for companies historically based in the US, UK, and Europe and I've done customer work for nearly every OEM I can name...and I did it in the US with the same people in many cases, some natural born citizens, some on visas, some with green cards, the name of the company changes, the work is the same.
Cool story

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I've personally had an alternator catch fire in a gasoline car. I doubt electric cars pose a higher fire risk than gasoline cars. Do you have any statistical evidence to back up your assertions they are less safe?

There are no relevant stats because electric cars are still too rare to draw any conclusions that way. I do have personal experience with development vehicles that have convinced me I don’t want an electric car. I’ve seen shit burn, and it just burns and burns and burns, for like a day. It burns underwater. Does a gas car burn underwater? No. This is why the comparison is wrong. Does a burning tank of diesel produce gases that can leach straight into your body and DEIONIZE YOUR BONE MARROW? Not that I’m aware of, but lithium batteries do.

The main issue with electric cars is the batteries which can experience thermal runaway while charging and burn themselves to the ground and everything near it. You don’t have to crash it. You can do everything right and a vehicle with no diagnostic faults can spontaneously burn itself the fuck up.

If an F-250 has a leaky fuel pipe the issue is a physical one and easily understood. They’ll issue issue a recall and fix all the pipes. But Bolt owners are being told they have park on the street until a fix is developed that may never come? There is no gasoline equivalent to that scenario.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I had a car catch fire. Insurance told me I didn’t change the oil, and I couldn’t prove I did. That taught me to keep all my documents just in case.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
any old school game with "Up" to jump.
I suppose I agree with this, but heck if I don't love Karate Kid for the NES. Control scheme be damned. No one I know ever liked that game, but I used to play through it all the time. I don't know, going back to early games, before controls became somewhat standardized, you just adjust to the learning curve. It can be awkward at first, but most of those games only use a couple buttons anyway. I know having the B button jump instead of A on NES games tends to set everyone off. Haha

A lot of 16 bitters have configurable controls in the options. That actually became fairly common on a lot of Gen and SNES titles.

You remind me a lot of myself when I was younger…
Queer?

;p