AES - Scart Questions

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
Okay, so i’m no newbie when it comes to video ouputs, resolutions, aspect ratios and the like.. But i’m not very familiar with scart. I know of RF, composite, component, s-video, displayport, vga, dvi and hdmi..

Every TV, receiver, and any other device i’ve ever owned over the years has used one of those, but not once in my life have I seen a scart connector on anything..

I hate to sound ignorant, but if you do the rgb mod and go with a scart cable for the neo…what does the other end plug into exactly? I’m talking the rectangular end.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Some sort of upscaler. SCART is a Euro or JP connection type, so upscaler make it so that a modern TV can use it.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've used an ossc for years. I'd quite like it if it wasn't a scart shaped connector tbh but oh well

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Get a broadcast monitor or one with scart I guess

Reactions: wyo

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
You can get upscaler that can adapt SCART to component or composite, i used one on a CRT for some time before moving and it works as advertised. The RGB2COMP comes to mind

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
What if I wanted to use it on a CRT and not an lcd/led style tv?
American TV's don't have scart inputs. The TV needs to be modded, or just use a scart to component converter. Professional monitors are another option, but quite pricey now.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I couldn't handle the embarrassment if someone saw a crt in my place nowadays. I'd rather have a real doll sat on the sofa

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The video format you are aiming for is RGB. “SCART” is an obsolete connector type that often provides RGB. If you don’t have a single SCART device then it wouldn’t make any sense to use that connector at any point.

Verdict: cart before horse.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
The video format you are aiming for is RGB. “SCART” is an obsolete connector type that often provides RGB. If you don’t have a single SCART device then it wouldn’t make any sense to use that connector at any point.

Verdict: cart before horse.
By RGB do you mean basically component cables? Because when I think of RGB I think Red Green Blue, which the only thing that comes to mind is component cables.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
I couldn't handle the embarrassment if someone saw a crt in my place nowadays. I'd rather have a real doll sat on the sofa
I have a CRT setup in my gaming room for EVERYTHING that doesn't use HDMI.. Genesis/SegaCD, SNES, Saturn, PS1/PS2, and now the AES... Moslty using s-video and component. Screw the naysayers....they just don't get it. Nothing can beat a CRT for old-school game consoles.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I have a CRT setup in my gaming room for EVERYTHING that doesn't use HDMI.. Genesis/SegaCD, SNES, Saturn, PS1/PS2, and now the AES... Moslty using s-video and component. Screw the naysayers....they just don't get it. Nothing can beat a CRT for old-school game consoles.
which types of connectors does your CRT have at the back?
is it a TV, or a PVM?

Okay, so i’m no newbie when it comes to video ouputs, resolutions, aspect ratios and the like.. But i’m not very familiar with scart. I know of RF, composite, component, s-video, displayport, vga, dvi and hdmi..

Every TV, receiver, and any other device i’ve ever owned over the years has used one of those, but not once in my life have I seen a scart connector on anything..

I hate to sound ignorant, but if you do the rgb mod and go with a scart cable for the neo…what does the other end plug into exactly? I’m talking the rectangular end.

An AES already has RGB output, you dont have to do an RGB mod to get it. An RGB mod just makes the picture quality of the RGB better, but removes the option of using composite.
There are a few PVMs in the US that have a SCART socket, such as the Sony 2730Q PVM, and some of the JVC ones can have a SCART input card added to them.
There were a few CRT TVs sold in Australia that had SCART RGB input. And it used to be that all TVs sold in Europe legally had to have RGB SCART. Not sure if any consumer CRTs sold in the US had them. Flat-screen LCD TVs often used to have them.

Last edited:

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
is it a TV, or a PVM?

My CRT is one of the later models, flat screen, but glass, heavy as hell and considered a tube tv.. I wanna say it's a 2006 or 2007 model? It has A few sets of composite, two s-video, and a set of component. I have a switch with composite and s-video attached to it as well. Brand is a samsung and it's a 4:3 ratio TV.

An AES already has RGB output, you dont have to do an RGB mod to get it. An RGB mod just makes the picture quality of the RGB better, but removes the option of using composite.
There are a few PVMs in the US that have a SCART socket, such as the Sony 2730 PVM, and some of the JVC ones can have a SCART input card added to them.
There were a few CRT TVs sold in Australia that had SCART RGB input. And it used to be that all TVs sold in Europe legally had to have RGB SCART. Not sure if any consumer CRTs sold in the US had them. Flat-screen LCD TVs often used to have them.

Well, that's my confusion then.. I was under the impression that the console needed to be modded to be able to use anything but composite cables.. So, you're saying I can just go somewhere online and buy better cables than composite and they work with the console as-is?

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Well, that's my confusion then.. I was under the impression that the console needed to be modded to be able to use anything but composite cables.. So, you're saying I an just go somewhere online and buy better cables than composite and they work with the console as-is?
Yes, you could get an RGB SCART (euro-wired) cable for it.
The best input your TV has is component, so you would need to convert the RGB to yuv (component). There are SCART->yuv video converters that can do this.
RGB is better quality video than component/yuv.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
Anyone got a link to an AES rgb cable then that's not from aliexpress that is also a reasonable price?

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
So, it would work like this.. RGB > SCART cable from the Neo to a converter, then a pair of male to male component cables from the converter to the component inputs on my TV?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Doesn’t someone already made a YPbPr cable? Or an HDMI cable? I thought these things existed now but most of my stuff is OG so I don’t understand anything of your non-caveman world.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

I agree. Anyone who thinks flat panels are good for 16-bit stuff most have sold their CRTs a looooong time ago. There is NO substitute for a CRT. Every single other avenue brings compromise and of course pointless expenditures, one after the other, ALWAYS a new product on the market, forever, trying to replicate the authentic and never achieving it.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
There is a Neo Geo AES RGB SCART Cable

I also have a spare of this exact brand if you want it for less than that price.

Also Hyperkin has an HDMI Adapter, but i hear mixed results on this one

Overall, I'd go with the Retrotink RGB2COMP, appropriate scart cables for your consoles, and a good set of component cables for your TV should you want to stick with all that stuff. Once you realize it's a ballache to keep all that cabling looking decent and after all the adapters/converters/upscalers, look into either HD versions of your fav consoles (Super NT, Mega SG, AVS for NES, etc) or FPGA it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Well, that's my confusion then.. I was under the impression that the console needed to be modded to be able to use anything but composite cables.. So, you're saying I can just go somewhere online and buy better cables than composite and they work with the console as-is?
Too many get confused by this. SMS, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, PS1... All of these major consoles and the Neo Geo don't need to be modded to output RGB. The only major consoles that do are the NES, TurboGrafx... Atari 2600.

I think there's a lot of additional tech talk around the subject that muddies the waters for folks trying to get into it.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
is it a TV, or a PVM?

AND only needed for certain revisions of the console.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
There is a Neo Geo AES RGB SCART Cable

I also have a spare of this exact brand if you want it for less than that price.

I'd be willing to do that.. I was looking at those cables. What's your price?

So just to confirm, this is everything that I need? Links provided.