Genesis / Mega Drive Mini

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
THIS cannot be over emphasized. I'm having a ton of fun playing through Neutopia 2 on my PCE mini for this reason. No BS to hook crap up, scalers, scroll endless lists of roms on flash cart, get distracted, forget why I hooked it all up. Not to mention there are some bangers on the Gen2 mini that cost $$$. This is a way cheaper/official way to get these.

I flip the switch on this thing and in seconds I am picking up where I left off.

edit: it should also be emphasized how of all the "minis" I've used and having extensive experience w/emulation - this Gen 2 Mini has some insanely tight emulation, the most I've seen on any of these. Ports to consoles included.

The PCE Mini might be the best one.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I really don't play any of my min-consoles. They kind of just look nice in their box sitting on my shelf. I still have the PS1 mini unopened. I don't think it's that hard to plug the console into a retrotink 2x pro. If anything, it's easier to plug into that then a CRT back in the day unless you had the RCAs in the front.

That being said, it's still on Amazon. Tempted to pull the trigger.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It has nothing to do with how “hard” something is, but rather what an annoying stupid pain in the ass it is.

It’s not “hard” to watch my Switch update itself but I’d still rather not do it. I’d also rather not create a password and enter my credit card and then individually shop and download all the games and pair my controllers. That’s why I like OG consoles and Minis. The only way this machine could be more hassle free is if the packaging was easier to open.

BTW, you may as well leave the PlayStation one in the box. It absolutely sucks.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I mean, I guess it's easier to mess with an HDMI and USB power cable. I still like original hardware.

I already knew about the PS1 mini's shittiness before buying it for 25 bucks at Best Buy. I like things on my shelf.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay, I've re-examined the games of the Mini 2 and came up with five titles that I really wanna play, the new improved version of Space Harrier II, the Puyo game, soundtrack-enhanced Final Fight, Super Locomotive and maybe the Centy wotsit, that would be €20 a pop given the current local going price of around €100. Not too bad, but I'm still not sure if that's justified. I have a full MD setup with a couple of originals + Everdrive, after all.

Maybe as a Christmas present... hmm....

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
A single Switch or PS5 controller is $70 now. I hate to be the one to tell you this but $100 doesn’t buy much anymore.

Furthermore…you either want this thing or you don’t, at least that’s the way it is with me. The price going up or down $20 isn’t going to mean anything to me or anyone else in my house. I’d pay double or half, I don’t care. It has 60 games in it, several of which are new releases, we’ll be playing it for years. My only complaint is that they could have left off that stupid ass Desert Storm game. That’s one aspect of the early 90s I’d like to forget.

BTW, one of my favorite things about these mini consoles and that there is ZERO bullshit. I hooked it up, switched it on with a real SPST switch, chose my language and then I was playing. No network connections, no way of (officially) updating anything. If you have 10 minutes to play games you will spend all 10 minutes of it actually gaming with this kind of device.
Well over $100.00 since it ships from amazon japan and it's not stocked by amazon u.s.Maybe this mini should have been delayed until next year it just feels like a rush job to me on sega part.I think it's genesis selection is fine it's sega-cd ones that are slim pickings.Such as night trap,uhh why when the game got the anniversary treatment years ago for most consoles and pc with a better picture to.I won't be surprise in the end if it get's hacked just like the original did for adding more games.While it's out now i don't know if i'll buy one i still have a model one genesis+model 2 sega-cd plus a everdrive and a collection of games with the original mini.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
[....] Super Locomotive

Is the appeal of that only because it's something new, or is the arcade original a fun game? I've never touched it but always assumed it was one of those early, goofy weird Sega entries that fell flat.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Is the appeal of that only because it's something new, or is the arcade original a fun game? I've never touched it but always assumed it was one of those early, goofy weird Sega entries that fell flat.
I feel some of the new, previously unreleased games are def skewed towards the Japan audience. I'm looking forward to giving Locomotive a go though.

Well over $100.00 since it ships from amazon japan and it's not stocked by amazon u.s.Maybe this mini should have been delayed until next year it just feels like a rush job to me on sega part.I think it's genesis selection is fine it's sega-cd ones that are slim pickings.Such as night trap,uhh why when the game got the anniversary treatment years ago for most consoles and pc with a better picture to.I won't be surprise in the end if it get's hacked just like the original did for adding more games.While it's out now i don't know if i'll buy one i still have a model one genesis+model 2 sega-cd plus a everdrive and a collection of games with the original mini.

As Zeta said definitely not a rush job. Sega has been hyping the ever loving shit out of this in Japan. We're just lucky to get a version. The Sega CD list could be better, but I'm digging it.

This is for the polar opposite of all the things you mentioned as to why you don't want it.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Nothing says “rush job” like taking time to emulate two slightly different versions of the same sound chip.

I have a seven year old who loves 16-bit. That’s my main overall reason for actually getting these things. This way he can only break the wireless controller instead of my massive pile of actual PCE stuff. I have an early Genesis but not a great deal of games. I’ll never get a CD system at this point.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I found myself playing and heavily enjoying Golden Axe 2. Which I probably haven't played more than a few seconds since way back when it came out (when I played it a ton). I would never think to load that up on a bloated everdrive. But here I am enjoying the hell out of it because it was curated for me. It's like going to a restaurant, yes you have a pantry full of food at home - but there is something about the overall experience of going to a nice restaurant, decorated nicely, nice ambience and they bring food out to you for a 3-course meal.

You could def eat at home cheaper, but it gets old.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sega doesn't own the rights to a good chunk of those Sega CD games, and the license holder probably wants more than Sega is willing to pay for a small run cheap emu box. Vic Ireland has already stated he wanted more money for the Working Designs games, and whoever owns the rights to the Digital Pictures games keeps getting handed a pile of cash from LRG every so often.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
There is a C64 game called Suicide Express that I loved to play back in the day and Super Locomotive looks quite similar so I wanna give it a try. I haven't played the arcade original yet.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Nothing says “rush job” like taking time to emulate two slightly different versions of the same sound chip.

GameSack was impressed with this but said the Space Harrier II improvements were somewhat botched with flicker and bad sound samples. I do think it was rushed in some ways. If there wasn't a US release planned and you couldn't justify paying Working Designs, because of the chip shortage, then I would have preferred they wait another year to build up stock.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
GameSack was impressed with this but said the Space Harrier II improvements were somewhat botched with flicker and bad sound samples. I do think it was rushed in some ways. If there wasn't a US release planned and you couldn't justify paying Working Designs, because of the chip shortage, then I would have preferred they wait another year to build up stock.

I saw that bit on Gamesack and didn't get it. I see the opposite, it removed all the flicker from the OG version and it almost seems like they use the hardware scaling capabilities of the Sega CD to handle the enemies. It's pretty damn cool. They also seemed to be pretty up front about the niche aspect of this, saying they are only producing 10% of what they did for the last one.

The Japan version apparently comes with a mail-in questionnaire asking what you'd like to see them do next. Full size Game Gear being one of the choices - Which would be amazing.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Oh, and Gamesack sucks. Fuck that guy.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So Vic is the reason Popful Mail and Lunar aren’t on the US versions even in Japanese?

Fuck him more than usual then, I guess.
Yeah, he still owns the rights to the English translation. Sega of Japan wanted it but Vic rejected their offer.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Yeah, he still owns the rights to the English translation. Sega of Japan wanted it but Vic rejected their offer.
I don't even like reading shit like this, it's so infuriating