What's with people slicing up the AES console shells to install unneeded jacks?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
In the mid 2000's I was still doing S-Video and stereo RCA mods for some people. The ones who just had normal S-video capable TV's were stoked. Haven't done one since like 2010 at this point.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Shiny and gaudy gets more sales from the idiots on ebay. There was a time and place for that, in the early 00s when RGB in the US was super uncommon and the svideo mod was amazing.

The flip side of this is to use the RGB from the DIN, but insist on an RGB bypass whether that particular revision of motherboard actually needs it or not.
s-video is quite good IMO- way better than composite, and not much worse than component.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm guilty of getting one of those S-Video mods on my AES back in the 2000s. It was the best we could do back then. No one had figured out how to get component video out just yet or it wasn't easily/readily available. Now we have things like RGB to Component boxes available from cheap shit on Amazon/Alibaba to expensive boutique shit from Retrotink.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Maybe it's proof your console was previously owned by a true gamer, since why would a collector who wants to keep his stuff pristine want to cut the case. Up to you if this is a good thing or bad thing, could suggest it has more hours of use on it, which while that sounds bad, like it could be used up in some way, periodic usage tends to be a good thing in terms of reducing the likelihood of dealing with leaky capacitors.

You'll notice I used the pronoun his above to refer to collectors of video game consoles. That was intentional.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I had an S-video modded AES in the mod 2000's too. Mine was one of kpj's "stealth" mods, so it had a special S-video cable, and used the existing DIN jack. Reversible, and no holes drilled in the case.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If I recall, I paid him $100 or so to stealth mod my system and repair my botched Unibios install. He also had to do a bypass to fix the checkerboarding. I don't have that system anymore.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Honestly, as long as it's nicely done, I wouldn't mind getting an AES with an s-video mod. Have to think they'd be cheaper than one done for RGB on ebay or wherever. If you're using a high quality cable and a retrotink or the like, there's not exactly a massive leap in quality or anything going from svhs to rgb. I suppose the board revision would play a role in that, but still, s-video generally looks excellent with consoles of that vintage. And sometimes rgb can make some games look a bit off to me, such a thing as too sharp in some cases.

The biggest problem with a lot of old modded consoles (ones modded in the 00s) that you come across today, is shoddy looking work. Cracks on the back of the housing, rca ports off center, poor soldering or (gasp) hot glued. Haha
I suppose that's still an issue with mods done recently, but it seems like the overall quality of mods that you see on the market today is much better than it was 15-20 years ago. More guys doing it at a higher lever nowadays.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Honestly, as long as it's nicely done, I wouldn't mind getting an AES with an s-video mod. Have to think they'd be cheaper than one done for RGB on ebay or wherever.
Why cheaper? Because the case has holes drilled and no ones wants them anymore? The system supports RGB natively, so an S-video mod is more work.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
My Mega Drive I had switches on the front and I still own a Frankenstein Dreamcast with IDE & VGA mod. Never minded modding PAL consoles but always kept my AES stock. Never could have done that anyway. I can understand that it was different for most American peeps here.

prof

Why cheaper? Because the case has holes drilled and no ones wants them anymore? The system supports RGB natively, so an S-video mod is more work.

True, but I still see a lot of home systems on the market modded for RGB. Even though it's supported natively, the bypass mod seems to be a popular choice nowadays. Cleans it up a bit I suppose, particularly with some of the later boards. But I think the biggest reason is that if a guy is going to do the unibios mod, he feels that he might as well do the rgb and stereo bypasses as well. And these are usually selling for $600 plus loose.

Whereas, you can find one that was modded for s-video back in the day, including the cables and a stick for $500 all in, or even less in some cases.

I'm going by ebay sold listings here with these general figures, btw. I'm sure the market fluctuates. But just saying, the modern modded consoles with the rgb bypass go for a premium over the s-video ones.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Jeff modded my AES for s-video. Did the mvs adapter then ended up with a cMV1B.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
True, but I still see a lot of home systems on the market modded for RGB. Even though it's supported natively, the bypass mod seems to be a popular choice nowadays. Cleans it up a bit I suppose, particularly with some of the later boards. But I think the biggest reason is that if a guy is going to do the unibios mod, he feels that he might as well do the rgb and stereo bypasses as well. And these are usually selling for $600 plus loose.
The RGB bypass is for certain AES revisions that need it.

prof

Have any of you tried one of those HD Retrovision cables with your AES? I'm curious about the quality. And component is better for my purposes, but they're not cheap. These:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Have any of you tried one of those HD Retrovision cables with your AES? I'm curious about the quality. And component is better for my purposes, but they're not cheap. These:

I don't do component for RGB consoles, but those are the cables component fans always seem to covet. I would buy them with confidence.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

Yeah, I have. You can use the MD/Gen cables with a few different consoles using different adapters. PCE, Saturn, Neo and they work quite well, they're worth the money especially since you can use the same cable with multiple consoles.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
“What were the people who actually owned and played Neo 30 years ago thinking, huh huh huh, am I right, ladies?”

Answer: You couldn’t read text on the screen the blur and crawl was so bad. S-video fixed it. There’s nothing mysterious or stupid about it. The upgrade was HUGE.

Why did people used to beat horses? Because the horses were tired.

Why were they tired? Because they hauled milk around all day.

Why didn’t the guy who owned the horse sell it and buy a truck? Because you’re an idiot.

This shit is all so relative. The AES case with holes in the back…who cares? It’s a lot less ugly than your completely aftermarket cart, controller, memory card, and whatever your stack of upscaler bullshit is AT THE MOMENT. You can’t even see the back of the console when you’re actually playing it…especially with the smoke machine in your stick set to maximum.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

Since component cables just convert from the console's RGB signal, it's worth considering how the RGB is on your system. Depending on the board revision, you still may need the RGB bypass for a good picture.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
“What were the people who actually owned and played Neo 30 years ago thinking, huh huh huh, am I right, ladies?”

Answer: You couldn’t read text on the screen the blur and crawl was so bad. S-video fixed it. There’s nothing mysterious or stupid about it. The upgrade was HUGE.

Why did people used to beat horses? Because the horses were tired.

Why were they tired? Because they hauled milk around all day.

Why didn’t the guy who owned the horse sell it and buy a truck? Because you’re an idiot.

This shit is all so relative. The AES case with holes in the back…who cares? It’s a lot less ugly than your completely aftermarket cart, controller, memory card, and whatever your stack of upscaler bullshit is AT THE MOMENT. You can’t even see the back of the console when you’re actually playing it…especially with the smoke machine in your stick set to maximum.
Way to it stick to em champ, not an embarrassing post in the least.