Beware of eBay - Was scammed as BUYER (!)

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Long story short, I bought a laptop. Bunch of red flags from shipping being late, shipping coming from a different corner of the nation than user's profile, and 1 feedback.

The scam: you get nothing, and they win the claim against them.

eBay, unbeknownst to me, can't see tracking past it being delivered or not and what city it went to. So what they do is send an empty bubble mailer to some random person in your town, and shows complete. eBay doesn't see it's a different location and can't see the weight, so they are our a buck or two and win hundreds of dollars.

Ironically, post master wouldn't help till I had a pic of the signature confirmation seller claimed he had and sent to eBay. eBay CLEARED this 'signature' but only gave it to me (despite multiple requests) along with my rejection email of my claim. Oh and the signature? Wasn't a signature at all! It was a tracking slip/address label that literally said "to be filled out by mailer" and put on the box. Girl's print handwriting of my name and address with a photoshopped (poorly) stamp of "delivered Nov 6" (2 days after it was actually delivered btw lol).

So yeah, I'm fuckin done with eBay. I had to already stop being a seller because there was no protection, but at least with buyers you were protected. Nope, out the window. I've talked to five managers, nearly double the amount of normal tier 1 works, from several dept. Everyone said to relax, would clearly be over turned. Claims dept had other ideas though. Oh, and they're the only dept without a phone number, even management can't directly call them. It's a joke.

Now had to get Chase mixed into it, and got my money back as they fight them.

I now have proof of what the package looked like and where it went, btw. It's weight, everything. Which is great to proof my innocence to Chase, but since I couldnt get this till I showed them hard proof of mail fraud (signature slip that was forged) it came 1 day later than eBay's premature decision (told me it would be 24-72 hrs, took them 2 hours).

Anywho, hope this helps someone. Fuck eBay and if you use it, and you encounter the same scam, try with all your might to get an email from your post master with that proof before the claim goes through, it's your only chance for a reversal.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Fake "signature confirmation" signature and actual 8oz bubble mailer filled with f all, obviously not containing a computer, and not sent to my address:

IMG_2908.thumb.jpeg.36e16deff95f78a1913487567ec92ca8.jpegIMG_2893.thumb.jpeg.c9c75d32aeb892c739625bbad10a9b3d.jpeg

Oh and seller isn't banned so he'll get to strike again.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That sucks. I've heard of more or less this scam. Sorry it happened to you. Were you buying something good? This is why I check feedback closely.

I gave you an eggplant for posting in the Neo Geo forum.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
That sucks. I've heard of more or less this scam. Sorry it happened to you. Were you buying something good? This is why I check feedback closely.

I gave you an eggplant for posting in the Neo Geo forum.

Ah ffs, sorry about that.

I was buying a very high end laptop. I was watching two of them, and got them mixed up on my phone. I checked the feedback of one listing, came back after a lunch break and bought the other. Didnt realize till I checked a couple hours later he had 1 feedback, tried to cancel but it was past the 1 hr mark.

And of course asking him in messages was fruitless, still havent gotten one message back from him. And getting eBay to step in was even worse as they didnt just tell him to cancel but also gave him the option to send it....ie: f all nothing, which of course he chose to do.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Works differently here, only the sellers can get screwed. Even if the seller did exactly what they did to you, in the UK you can just click 'arrived damaged' and send them a bag of sick back for a full refund.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Long story short, I bought a laptop. 1 feedback.
index.php

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Works differently here, only the sellers can get screwed. Even if the seller did exactly what they did to you, in the UK you can just click 'arrived damaged' and send them a bag of sick back for a full refund.
The UK is quite small. You could drive over to their house and sort them out.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Long story short, I bought a laptop. Bunch of red flags from shipping being late, shipping coming from a different corner of the nation than user's profile, and 1 feedback.

The scam: you get nothing, and they win the claim against them.

eBay, unbeknownst to me, can't see tracking past it being delivered or not and what city it went to. So what they do is send an empty bubble mailer to some random person in your town, and shows complete. eBay doesn't see it's a different location and can't see the weight, so they are our a buck or two and win hundreds of dollars.

Ironically, post master wouldn't help till I had a pic of the signature confirmation seller claimed he had and sent to eBay. eBay CLEARED this 'signature' but only gave it to me (despite multiple requests) along with my rejection email of my claim. Oh and the signature? Wasn't a signature at all! It was a tracking slip/address label that literally said "to be filled out by mailer" and put on the box. Girl's print handwriting of my name and address with a photoshopped (poorly) stamp of "delivered Nov 6" (2 days after it was actually delivered btw lol).

So yeah, I'm fuckin done with eBay. I had to already stop being a seller because there was no protection, but at least with buyers you were protected. Nope, out the window. I've talked to five managers, nearly double the amount of normal tier 1 works, from several dept. Everyone said to relax, would clearly be over turned. Claims dept had other ideas though. Oh, and they're the only dept without a phone number, even management can't directly call them. It's a joke.

Now had to get Chase mixed into it, and got my money back as they fight them.

I now have proof of what the package looked like and where it went, btw. It's weight, everything. Which is great to proof my innocence to Chase, but since I couldnt get this till I showed them hard proof of mail fraud (signature slip that was forged) it came 1 day later than eBay's premature decision (told me it would be 24-72 hrs, took them 2 hours).

Anywho, hope this helps someone. Fuck eBay and if you use it, and you encounter the same scam, try with all your might to get an email from your post master with that proof before the claim goes through, it's your only chance for a reversal.

How did you pay. Same thing happened to me but since I paid with my credit card I disputed through my creditor and not ebay which ended with being fully refunded.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Yeah Ebay is trash and they whine about Amazon taking over lol good riddance, avoid the site at all cost for everything else when buying Retro games from them is already a huge burden with Ebay. Worst of all the entire Youtube community is nothing but dedicated to Sellers when seeking for help, whinging about Buyers when there is just as many scammers if not more on the Seller side in my own experience. For example I couldnt find a single video explaining how Ebay+ as a buyer works, like how many points equal for each amount spent etc. Found only help in an article by a news site.

This particular case makes you question, why is it even allowed for people to sell who havent bought a single thing on this site first as an identity prove?

During the scalper years for these new consoles i kid you not the same sellers had listening for a piece of paper charging 100's of bucks and they simple listened it as that, like they thought they were untouchable. And they still had high ratings because everyone had to buy their PS5 from them.

Last edited: