Talk about your memories and experiences with the Mario Kart series

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I've probably put more time into super mario kart than any other game. I tried mk64, they had losing karts drive faster to catch up and I instantly hated that and never forgave them.

Once you know the tracks and you know the line the CPU karts are going to take leaving the otherwise pointless greens and banana skins they endlessly give you when you're in front is suddenly great again.

I probably had more arguments over that game on battle mode than any other game too, with 'red shell favouritism' being the usual complaint. Nothing better than knocking off a balloon with a green though.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I worked at a video game store during college called Microplay. I had friends that worked there too, some I made before and we hired them, some while working there. The owner was cool he said just play games when no one is around but wait on someone when they come in. He also let us check whatever we wanted out.

One friend outside of work had just gotten married, he was really one of the first of our age I knew. He lived in an apartment above the garage of his parents house. In hindsight it wasn’t bad at all. This was around when Mario Kart 64 came out and what we would do is hang at his house and go to the store and grab a few N64s hook them up to CRTs and play Mario Kart and drink all night. It was cool they had friends that were girls who played so it wasn’t a big sausage fest or anything. I used to double date with my girl from college and one of the guys and his girl, I still see that guy today as he works at a store near me. Sometimes I ask him what the other guys are up to these days, he’s the only one I see anymore and it seems like a different lifetime now because it is of course.

I had a friend Jeff who we used to hang out at his house and sometimes he’d get his SNES version out and we’d play Mario Kart, this was after the N64 one was out, I remember he had a perfect game of NCAA basketball on SNES saved as the other team had zero points.

I always loved the series but When Mario Kart GBA came out I didn’t like that one and much preferred Wai Wai Racing, It’s the only one in the series I didn’t play to death.

Last edited:

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I played a little SNES Mario kart at store kiosks and at a cousin's house. It was ok. It didn't wow me. Around that time various Mario kart clone games were coming out like bc racers and wacky wheels (and skunny kart, but we won't talk about that one) and I played that stuff way more. That gave me my kart racing fix.

Later on, all of my friends had n64s with Mario kart 64, whereas I had a PlayStation. That meant whenever we got together as a group everyone wanted to play Mario kart and I had to go along with it. I was always coming in last place since everyone I was playing with were Mario kart masters due to playing for countless hours on their own. In Battle mode I just got wailed on. It was always one novice versus three expert players. I had the same experience playing my friends in golden eye and smash brothers btw, 1 novice getting smashed by three experts who own the game. Fuck the N64 era.

Later on we evolved to Mario kart double dash and since I could be partnered with an expert and have a better chance against the other team of my friends, that helped make that game more fun, though I felt like I was too old for it since my taste in games at the time was for more serious action and Fighting stuff rather than Mario cartoon stuff. I preferred the GameCube fzero game. In retrospect, double dash was a polished good quality game.

I've had the chance to play the older Mario kart switch game with my 5 year old nephew and that game seems very polished and good quality. I'm too old and jaded to be excited about it to the level that I'd ever bother to buy a switch and extensively play it single player though.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
My first console I owned was a Super Nintendo, which was my cousins old system that he no longer wanted since he'd moved on the the N64. I still remember going with my parents to Software Etc. in the mall and picking out Super Mario Kart, Street Fighter II, and I think Donkey Kong Country 2 to go along with the system that Christmas. The best Christmas gift I probably ever received and Super Mario Kart was the first game I loaded up and tried. Knowing what I know now, in 1997 all these games were old news to most people, but to 5 year old me in was an awesome experience. I played Super Mario Kart a ton fun years and still quite enjoy it.

When I ended up with my cousins 64, it wasn't long before I got a copy of Mario Kart 64 and played it a ton as well. I haven't played it in years but it was always my favorite game on the system. I bought the GBA version when it came out, and didn't love it. The graphics just didn't gel with me and I didn't care much for the tracks. The Gamecube version I played the most and to this day is my favorite in the series. Love the tracks and switching between characters. The DS, Wii and 3DS I played but like the GBA version did not leave the same mark on me as the earlier games. They are just missing something. When I bought a Switch I picked up that version and have played it quite a bit and do enjoy it, and the new(ish) dlc is fun.

My main complaint about the entire Mario Kart series is the rubber band A.I. It just sucks the fun out of the higher difficulty levels for me, but 50 and 100cc are both too easy.

Overall the series is pretty great, but today the main console versions is all anyone needs. I'd love to see them port more classic levels to the Switch as additional DLC.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The interesting thing about Mario Kart is that I've played every single iteration, yet, it doesn't resonate as one of my top gaming experiences despite always being there.

SNES - absolutely ground breaking. I remember playing every cup and tons of multiplayer, but it was so long ago, I dont remember if it was friends or family.
N64 - this was all my High School and College friends. Late nights with a case of Miller Lite. Toss in some Conker's and Turok. Epic evening memories.
The DS and WiiU are where I remember playing with folks from this Forum. Some good memories of the WiiU tournaments, though I never learned the elite skills to abuse in MK8. The DS very was so popular at one point, I could open up ad hoc while on a plane, and typically find a few people.
I also think the DS had some of my favorite new tracks.
I've played some Switch MK8 while on Planes as well, but that was mostly destroying some friends.

I'm good at Mario Kart, but I'm not at the point of online-competitive, and i've never felt the need to be either. The later games have a lot more of that, which is probably why I've played my Switch mostly local. Just exploring the new tracks is fun enough these days. I can't be bothered to learn every shortcut, and which kart configuration is currently overpowered.

I'll add, I think a lot people missed out on Mario Kart Live Circuit. Those little Karts can run for along time on a charge, and it's not just a normal track. They added all sorts of really cool AR effects to the levels. Artificial wind, tubes, obstacles.... It's way more engaging than you'd think. It helps that I have a massive hardwood living room, but I've set up a simple oval track, and it's still engaging. I wish they put a stronger antenna in there for longer range, that would be my only gripe.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I forgot to add I tried this arcade version for the first time last year:

mariokartgpdx.gif

It was fun, and playing as the Namco characters was nice. None of the stages really blew me away again- and even though it was a good time, I think people are not really missing anything if they haven't played it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Unlike seemingly everyone else in the world, I have almost no memories of the N64 one. We didn't own it at our house growing up, only had one controller. We spent a lot more time with F-Zero X. I didn't have college roommates I played it with or anything like that. I did get Double Dash when it was new. I picked up an import copy of the N64 one dirt cheap maybe 5 years ago.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Played a little on the SNES but it wasn't ours, shit didn't even have it on 64 but played it elsewhere. Personally I think it's a shit game.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
A couple of years back, when me and a pal went to an arcade that sprang up in London, we walked into a giant room stacked with cabs. You pay at the door then it's freeplay for as long as you want to stay. We jumped cab to can for about 20 minutes until we stumbled upon a crusty back room with a few sweaty old consoles half set up. 5 minutes later we were playing super mario kart battle mode, where we stayed for the next five hours.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
A couple of years back, when me and a pal went to an arcade that sprang up in London, we walked into a giant room stacked with cabs. You pay at the door then it's freeplay for as long as you want to stay. We jumped cab to can for about 20 minutes until we stumbled upon a crusty back room with a few sweaty old consoles half set up. 5 minutes later we were playing super mario kart battle mode, where we stayed for the next five hours.
Sounds like a waste of time and money to me, but all that matters is you had fun and enjoyed the moment I guess.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
When the original Super Mario Kart came out, I thought it was dumb and for babbies. I wanted something more like F-Zero with lazers and missiles.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
LoneSage is just trying to learn everyone's security question answers and can't even be bothered to add his own story.

Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine stage.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The interesting thing about Mario Kart is that I've played every single iteration, yet, it doesn't resonate as one of my top gaming experiences despite always being there.

SNES - absolutely ground breaking. I remember playing every cup and tons of multiplayer, but it was so long ago, I dont remember if it was friends or family.
N64 - this was all my High School and College friends. Late nights with a case of Miller Lite. Toss in some Conker's and Turok. Epic evening memories.
The DS and WiiU are where I remember playing with folks from this Forum. Some good memories of the WiiU tournaments, though I never learned the elite skills to abuse in MK8. The DS very was so popular at one point, I could open up ad hoc while on a plane, and typically find a few people.
I also think the DS had some of my favorite new tracks.
I've played some Switch MK8 while on Planes as well, but that was mostly destroying some friends.

I'm good at Mario Kart, but I'm not at the point of online-competitive, and i've never felt the need to be either. The later games have a lot more of that, which is probably why I've played my Switch mostly local. Just exploring the new tracks is fun enough these days. I can't be bothered to learn every shortcut, and which kart configuration is currently overpowered.

I'll add, I think a lot people missed out on Mario Kart Live Circuit. Those little Karts can run for along time on a charge, and it's not just a normal track. They added all sorts of really cool AR effects to the levels. Artificial wind, tubes, obstacles.... It's way more engaging than you'd think. It helps that I have a massive hardwood living room, but I've set up a simple oval track, and it's still engaging. I wish they put a stronger antenna in there for longer range, that would be my only gripe.
RE: Mario Kart Circuit Live - I almost bought some Switches for this. I can’t imagine how incredible of a toy this would be for a child. VR is gay AF but AR with real world shit is awesome. I really think this is a cool title and hope we see more stuff like it. I have a feeling it’s destined to go the way of Steel Battalion tho.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
SNES Mario Kart was fun and I remember the multiplayer battle stuff fondly.

Like Sneth I remember it, played it, but it’s not some kind of definitive gaming experience.

Last iteration of Mario Kart I played was the first DS title. I used to go McDonalds to use their free wi-fi. This was around 2005 and everyone I knew still had wired connections at home. Anyway that game was fundamentally broken thanks to snaking.

Daytona USA and Sega Rally were “meaningful” racing games in my gaming storyline, followed by Gran Turismo 3.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Good for you champ
Pretty sure there was a hill involved and it was near the finish😴most in depth game relationship😚 would probably be the wii (okay Google, release date...oh 2008-2009?!-thnks)due to how unlockables functioned. Last game that I played that consistently for like a year or more? Not even sure, due to old timers 🌴

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Was forced to play Mario Kart 64 in high school with all my friends. Game fucking sucks. Would be good but the rubber banding ruins single and multiplayer. I had to trade the game in just to get it out of my house so we could move on to better games, like Mario Golf, Fighters Destiny, and WCW NWO Revenge.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I had a lot more fun with Diddy Dong Racing on the N64 than with Mario Kart 64.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Was forced to play Mario Kart 64 in high school with all my friends. Game fucking sucks. Would be good but the rubber banding ruins single and multiplayer. I had to trade the game in just to get it out of my house so we could move on to better games, like Mario Golf, Fighters Destiny, and WCW NWO Revenge.

My friends and I played Goldeneye and later Perfect Dark in High School. Didn’t really play Mario Kart.