Vengeance Hunters (Beat 'em Up) for the Neo Geo

NeoSeeD

n00b
Oh, this debate again? You must be new here.
Boasting about seniority on a niche forum isn't the flex that you think that it is, but sure.
most people don't have a hacked modern console.
Right, there are less hacked Switches, Playstations or PC's than there are Neo Geo owners on a niche forum that struggles to get a few posts a day. Surely, the Neo userbase far outpaces modern consoles by leaps and bounds.
The modern platform versions can't be played on Neo Geo.
That depends on how it's coded. Plenty of "new" ROMS have been extracted from modern releases and played on older hardware.
The Neo Geo version is expensive.
Yes, because niche hardware that has to be assembled for a niche audience is going to be more expensive and havs more overhead costs than a ROM or a CD.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Boasting about seniority on a niche forum isn't the flex that you think that it is, but sure.
My "you must be new here" comment wasn't about join date; rather a comment on the content of your post. Neo Geo games cost more than $8 download for new consoles.

That depends on how it's coded. Plenty of "new" ROMS have been extracted from modern releases and played on older hardware.
We'll see if they release it as an emulator.

Currently, and you can imagine why, we are only releasing the game on physical carts and modern platform ports.
Exactly. I would love a rom release I can put on my NeoSD as much as anyone, but it's not rocket science why Bitmap Bureau is the only indie dev to do this for a Neo Geo release so far.

Last edited:

amerika

n00b
We are not shipping the ROM wrapped in an emulator. Everything is native code to each platform we will be releasing on. Our build system is pretty damn cool to be honest.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
We are not shipping the ROM wrapped in an emulator. Everything is native code to each platform we will be releasing on. Our build system is pretty damn cool to be honest.
That's what I assumed. The rom would be the easy way, but it seems out of fashion now. Will the modern ports run 16:9?

amerika

n00b
That's what I assumed. The rom would be the easy way, but it seems out of fashion now. Will the modern ports run 16:9?
They will be 4:3 as well with either black bars or art. We might include a feature to allow people to stretch out the image, but if I get the final say on that, I won't allow it :)

This is what it looks like on Switch OLED dev kit. Picture is from last year though. Ignore the crosshatching as that was something with the camera.

Attachments

• VH_Switch_OLED.jpg
    VH_Switch_OLED.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 22

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
If anybody is interested in playing the game and lives near Stone Age Gamer in Salem, Ohio, they have the game playable right now on one of their MVS cabs.

My only take on this is my god that Red cab looks kinda beat to shit. Mismatched joysticks one being red and black. The paint looks worn down in some spots. The joystick panel itself looks warped. The front end of that panel looks all stripped down from years of hairy palms molesting it.

I'd spray that fucking thing...

No, I take that back... I would hose it down with some disinfectant before I would touch that cab.

Last edited:

amerika

n00b
My only take on this is my god that Red cab looks kinda beat to shit. Mismatched joysticks one being red and black. The paint looks worn down in some spots. The joystick panel itself looks warped. The front end of that panel looks all stripped down from years of hairy palms molesting it.

No, I take that back... I would hose it down with some disinfectant before I would touch that cab.
Back in December I was supposed to rent an MVS cab from a guy to show the game off at a convention expo. He shows up with not one but two fake MVS cabs that were ugly as sin, cobbled together and barely functional and one of them definitely needed washing. And then he put in my cart backwards after we saw a z80 error after inserting it correctly. A bit of fire and some smoke later, and that MVS hardware (which was a rat's nest of wires) was toast. My cart was OK at least. I felt bad as he is a nice guy, but no way was I going to risk that again on the second cab. So I walked away.

I went with just my OMVS, a tink5x and an LCD setup after that.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member

There’s no escaping the salty cunts on this forum. Even real hardware don’t get a pass from y’all bitches lol. That cabinet isn’t that bad.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
There’s no escaping the salty cunts on this forum. Even real hardware don’t get a pass from y’all bitches lol. That cabinet isn’t that bad.
Yeah. Cabs were meant to get beat to hell. Even ugly conversions get some love as long as the controls work and they have some good games in them.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Who's being salty?

That cab is supposed to be showcasing a brand new Neo game. If you're gonna want to impress people then put it in a cab that doesn't look like it's seen years of use. Considering it's an older 2D style of game then most people looking at it would probably pass it up thinking it's like some older version of Sengoku or something.

Presentation is very much a factor when showing off a new title.

Edit: Just to clarify, I do realize cabs get beat to shit. I've repaired and fixed up many of them over the years. It's not a big deal to me on that factor. Tho I remember one cab I opened up that had one of those metal security bars that was laid across the joystick panel.

Opening that fucker up and gettinig a fresh whiff of something akin to the smell of piss made me gag. Took me a good week of cleaning to get rid of that smell.

But yeah if I wanted to show off a new game then I would do my best to slap it into a cab that looks nice.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I admit the game has a more modern look to it. I'd like to give it a playthru honestly.

amerika

n00b
The juggle mechanics look fun. That is something that is typically lacking in the older games.
I am going to put together a short showcase video for combos/juggles soon before we head out to GDC. A huge design influence for me was, "what if Marvel Vs. Capcom was a beat'em'up on the Neo-Geo". I will not sit here and say I can do anywhere near as good of a job as Capcom devs/designers can do, but that particular "what if" was a driving influence for sure.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Pentadrangle is using the YM2610 with samples. But most of it comes from the chip itself due to audio memory concerns. We are using pre-recorded looping files for modern platforms that act/sound nearly identical to the Neo-Geo version.
So... the YM2610's FM and SSG channels are being used for the music?

amerika

n00b
So... the YM2610's FM and SSG channels are being used for the music?
I am not a music guy, and I'm sort of the middleman here, so please be kind to my ignorance :)

Yes, that is correct. ADPCM-A is being used for samples with the music, but FM and SSG is producing most of the sound.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I am not a music guy, and I'm sort of the middleman here, so please be kind to my ignorance :)

Yes, that is correct. ADPCM-A is being used for samples with the music, but FM and SSG is producing most of the sound.
That's exactly what I was asking, thanks! I was hearing FM in the soundtrack from the clips, and wondering if its genuine Neo Geo synth or just a recording. Thanks for the clarification.

I know this is a niche subject that probably won't entice others, but consider me intrigued! I was already tipping over the fence on this game, but it sounds like I need to figure out how I can break it to the wife that I need one more Neo Geo preorder this year.

amerika

n00b
That's exactly what I was asking, thanks! I was hearing FM in the soundtrack from the clips, and wondering if its genuine Neo Geo synth or just a recording. Thanks for the clarification.

I know this is a niche subject that probably won't entice others, but consider me intrigued! I was already tipping over the fence on this game, but it sounds like I need to figure out how I can break it to the wife that I need one more Neo Geo preorder this year.
If you wanted to talk details, https://twitter.com/pentadrangle is handling the music and he's a really nice guy. He's done a slew of other stellar soundtracks (I know of him from Cyber Shadow specifically) and he knows all the gory details you might be interested in!

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
The juggle mechanics look fun. That is something that is typically lacking in the older games.
Agreed. I had a lot of fun with games like Streets of Rage 4 doing that. Also I apologize if I was coming off as an asshole. I was doing a more Drive-by observation on the condition of the cab.

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
I know this thread is pretty old now, but I figured I'd say hi. If anybody has questions about Vengeance Hunters, just let me know. I'm the lead game play designer, part time director (we all wear that hat) and I have been taking care of all the social media stuff.
I'm really looking forward to getting my copy. I was an early buyer and hoping to get the RED cart variant! I just sent an email out to your team to check for any updates.
-Salvatore

Reactions: wyo