King of Fighters 94: Team Edit hack

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I've been working on adding team edit to KOF94. This has proven to be a monster of a change, holy cow. I still have a very long ways to go.

Here is a demo of what I have so far

The awesome news is KOF94's engine already supports custom teams, so it's mostly about a new character select screen. The continue screen and win screens do not though, I think they are going to be tough to crack.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This is going to be so much fun! There is still so much untapped potential for fan hacks on the Neo Geo. Hope you wilk share more progress, notes about the challenges along the way.

Those that haven't got a NeoSD will be changing their tune.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Does KOF 94 Rebout have team edit? Can you do NeoGeo Mode with team edit in that games as well? I need to get my copy out.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
It's my favorite KOF. And ironically not being able to edit your teams is one reason why :) I just think that's an interesting limitation to put on a game.
According to the KOF Visual History book, it sounds like this limitation was due to, or at least heavily influenced by, only having two weeks to balance the characters - not just hit strength but also hit box placement, the frame a move would connect on, etc. Basically, because of the time crunch, more work went into overall team balance rather than individual character balance. I think that tracks.

I mean, a team with Terry, Heidern, and Chang would be scary indeed. I guess we'll find out soon enough! Thanks for the good work, dude!

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
This is really cool. I always thought the fixed teams were the biggest detriment to the game. I was very happy when they added team edit in subsequent releases. There’s a lot of flavor being that’s it’s the first on the series and some of the backgrounds are simply beautiful.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Does KOF 94 Rebout have team edit? Can you do NeoGeo Mode with team edit in that games as well? I need to get my copy out.

Sup Ralfakick. Hell yeah it did :buttrock:In addition to a new arranged version of the ost, fully animated opening, new 3d backgrounds, effects and more, KOF94 Rebout also added a team edit mode which was a blast back in the day:

IMG_1615.jpeg
IMG_1617.jpeg
As city41 stated above, the other “NeoGeo Mode” option is just the original game with no team edit.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Sup Ralfakick. Hell yeah it did :buttrock:In addition to a new arranged version of the ost, fully animated opening, new 3d backgrounds, effects and more, KOF94 Rebout also added a team edit mode which was a blast back in the day:

View attachment 72848
View attachment 72849
As another user stated above the other “NeoGeo Mode” option is just the original game with no team edit.
My man, always great to see your posts

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I was pretty sure ReBout had team edit in the update.
I was overall disappointed in that game though and didn't play it much.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Really nice to see progress on this! It's working on my NeoSD Pro. It seems like the game determines the team you're playing as based on the first character you choose, is that right?

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Really nice to see progress on this! It's working on my NeoSD Pro. It seems like the game determines the team you're playing as based on the first character you choose, is that right?
The team you are playing against? I'm actually not sure yet. The cpu randomization is something I need to dig into next. The cpu randomization is still the original game's code, all I am doing is moving the cursor around along with it.

Somehow my hack made it so the cpu doesn't keep track of which teams you have beaten. So this basically makes single player mode endless. It's pretty funny how impossibly hard the cpu gets at like fight 20 :)

This will be what I focus on next.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
No, not the team I'm playing against.

I selected Terry as my first character choice, and I noticed the game correctly used a purple Terry for the CPU side, and the Fatal Fury team was displayed when I won a match.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
No, not the team I'm playing against.

I selected Terry as my first character choice, and I noticed the game correctly used a purple Terry for the CPU side, and the Fatal Fury team was displayed when I won a match.
Ah, gotcha.

KOF94's engine both stores which team you chose (ie Italy, Japan, etc), and which three characters you are using. in normal KOF94 the two are locked together. My hack changes the three characters you chose but a side effect is the team you end up with is now mostly random. There is a logic to the choice, but it's complex and effectively it's pretty random.

Whatever team you ended up with is what shows up on the continue and win screens. And in versus mode it also determins what background you fight on. Oh and if the team you end up with happens to be the team the cpu chooses, the cpu will use alternate colors.

This is temporary, when the hack is done this will all be fixed and you'll never be surprised by strange characters popping up.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
As an example, choose Terry/Chang/Choi. Most of the time you'll end up on Team Brazil.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Okay, makes sense, thanks. Sorry for the dumb questions. I'll shut up and enjoy for now. I appreciate this effort.