2011 NBA Finals Thread

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
When I was out to dinner I spied on a TV in the restaurant that the Heat were leading. I figured the series would go to a Game 7. Nice to see I was wrong. :)

I generally root for the Eastern Conference to win it all but I won't lie, I was pulling for the Mavs to win this time around. I'm sure my fellow Ohioans in Cleveland are rioting in the streets right now. :loco:

Curt

apostate
I'm not a fan of the Mavs (a die-hard Suns fan), I wanted them to beat Miami and it was good to see former Suns Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion get a championship. Props to Dirk and the rest of the Mavs for a great series :buttrock:

I felt the same way (also a Barkley Era Suns fan).

Eric

Fight On!,
Secretly the sports media must love the Mavs winning because it means they get to spend another year talking about LeBron James and hype up some "season of redemption" bullshit. Plus the upcoming speculation about Spoelstra's employment status (where they'll somehow make people believe Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan or Red Auerbach will take the Miami job) and the trade options involving Chris Bosh.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I've been watching the Mavs ever since Kidd was on the team THE FIRST TIME, and this is a sweet ass victory! I'm so damn happy. Dirk shot like shit this last game, which really makes me feel bad for him. Thank God Terry was on fire. But, now these guys can retire with rings. :)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Lebron averaged 27 points per game in the regular season and 18 points in the finals, supposedly the biggest differential for a player in league history.

The talking heads are gonna have a fun summer spouting stats like that.

I think I'll enjoy it for about a week, because I can't stand Lebron James and never want him to win anything. But after that, it'll get pretty old for me. Good thing I have so much more to do with my free time than watch ESPN.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Man the Heat just melted, they couldnt make free throws and played like they were scared. They werent mentally ready for this. Am glad for Kidd and Dirk, hopefully this Heat hatred will end now, its getting old.

JS

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Man the Heat just melted, they couldnt make free throws and played like they were scared. They werent mentally ready for this. Am glad for Kidd and Dirk, hopefully this Heat hatred will end now, its getting old.

JS

I wouldn't count on it ending any time soon, to be honest. I'd be suirprised if people suddenly warm to that team or start embracing them.

The cameras and the scrutiny are going to be on them every minute now that they've failed and underperformed. Like Eric said earlier, this is going to fuel NBA talk on all the sports outlets for the summer and every little thing they do is going to get amplified, interpreted a millino different ways, scrutinized and derided.

Lebron and Wade can't even walk down a hallway coughing without it being blown up out of proportion. Dirk even showed a little bit of chippiness about that and that got on all the news outlets to feed back on itself and create a story out of a non-story. Because let's face it, players are always talking trash and trying to get under each other's skin. That's part of the gamesmanship, and I don't think those guys take that off the court for the most part (although there have been a few exceptions.)

The hate for Lebron and whatever team he's on will not stop any time soon. Unfortunately for the Heat, they just happen to be his team right now. I don't even know if Wade will be able to 'wash it off' so easily, even though he did nothing but stay put and welcome Lebron.

Bosh will probably be able to escape the scrutiny, to be honest. Playing with the Heat this year, he sort of got shuttered out as the team became all about Lebron and Wade and Bosh turned, gradually, into an afterthought. I personally like Bosh's game quite a bit, and think he would do better in another city as the #1 or #2 scoring option. Guys like Lebron and Wade need the ball, it's that simple. WIth only 48 minutes to a game, three is a crowd.

Which isn't to say that they didn't do well. The Heat made it to the finals. That's almost the best you can do in a season in the NBA. But maybe shoehorning a guy like Bosh into a role player's kicks wasn't the best thing for hs game.

I'd take him on the Bulls over Boozer any day of the week. Trade?!?!??!?!?!

aria

Former Moderator
A good joke I heard:

Why did LeBron skip college?

Because he didn't want to show up for the Finals.​

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
lebron-james-miami-heat-finals-choke-workplace-ecards-someecards.png

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
Gotta eat crow now because I jumped on the Heat bandwagon after the Mavs eliminated my Lakers.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
A good joke I heard:

Why did LeBron skip college?

Because he didn't want to show up for the Finals.​

That's a good one. I heard a few the other day that were pretty good.

* I saw LeBron before the game and I asked for $1. He gave me 75 cents. I said where's the rest? He replied, "I don't have a 4th quarter."

* Tomorrow is Lebron James day, everyone gets to leave work 12 minutes early.

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
That's a good one. I heard a few the other day that were pretty good.

* I saw LeBron before the game and I asked for $1. He gave me 75 cents. I said where's the rest? He replied, "I don't have a 4th quarter."

* Tomorrow is Lebron James day, everyone gets to leave work 12 minutes early.

One I heard today that I liked...

"Did you hear that Delonte West proposed to LeBron's mom? He wanted at least someone in the family to have a ring."