360 and rrod.

BIG

sony fanboy
i've been thinking about picking up *yet* another unit for a few games and some live arcade stuff, but i'm still suffering from the rrod syndrome.

now, i've heard about the newer revisions being more stable and preventive measures that can save the console from rrod'ing (ie, replacing the original casing w/a pc one for better ventilation/ drive placement), but i'm still not convinced.

let's hear it from those in the know.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
BIG said:
i've been thinking about picking up *yet* another unit for a few games and some live arcade stuff, but i'm still suffering from the rrod syndrome.

now, i've heard about the newer revisions being more stable and preventive measures that can save the console from rrod'ing (ie, replacing the original casing w/a pc one for better ventilation/ drive placement), but i'm still not convinced.

I can't speak to how well the newest systems work but I went through three defective 360's and two of those that were replaced broke again. (One I had sold off to a friend after it was fixed)

I take really good care of my stuff and I have just never seen anything like it. So, even though there are some 360 games I want to play, I just don't find it to be worth the hassle anymore. Sure Microsoft will fix the rrod but that is after you talk to someone in a third world country and then send it off for a month or longer.

Maybe the newer 360's are better?

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
BIG said:

I'm not a tech-head, but the new Falcon chipset is almost certainly much more reliable. It makes sense that MS is gonna improve their hardware as time goes by; that shit just gets cheaper to make, but it doesn't get any cheaper to fix, if you get my meaning.

Anyways. The disc drive is still not the best in the world, but the leading causes of RROD have definitely been cut back at least somewhat, even if you don't believe the spin (which I don't think I do).

Honestly, at this point, you sound like you want peace of mind more than anything about it, and that's really pretty impossible with any next-gen console, but particularly the 360. So if you think you can put it out of your mind, buy another one. If you think it'll nag at you, maybe you should pass, and keep holding out for more inevitable improvements.

Just my two cents.

BIG

sony fanboy
what about the pc-case mod i've been hearing about?

do they actually work?

68k? anyone?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Just buy one of the new ones and try to forget. You'll probably be all right.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
The current models should be fine.

I think Microsoft's largest problem was that the defective models were being sent back out after a short 'test' to see if they were working, so many unsuspecting people who returned defective 360s ended up with another defective 360. This would explain why so many people haven't had a problem, while others who did have a problem had one or two (or more) replacement units also fail.

Both of my 360s are still running fine (one launch unit, and one built in Feb 2006). In fact, of all of my friends and relatives with 360s only one friend had a unit fail, and the replacement model he was sent also failed, which seems to support my theory.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
the first one was a POS, but my newer one (Dec. '07 I think) has worked perfectly (knocks on some serious fucking wood).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
the first one was a POS, but my newer one (Dec. '07 I think) has worked perfectly (knocks on some serious fucking wood).
Mine's Dec. '07 too. Dec. '07 360's in the hiz-ouse.