9/9/1995 Playstation!

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
Happy Birthday to the PSX!!!

I remember getting a Playstation and SotN for my birthday one year, and just playing it constantly....love that system...

The dreamcast is great, but it can't steal all the thunder lol

Sold my Jaguar and games to get a PSX. Bought Assault Rigs, Raiden Project and Panzer General. The CD laser motor went out within 2 days, man I was fucking pissed off.

Reality Check

World Hero
I got my Playstation along with Robotron in 98 for my birthday. I was stuck with awe with the graphics and amazed that I finally owned one. Played the hell out of that game.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Has it really been 15 years since the original Battle Arena Toshinden stole our hearts? Seems like only yesterday.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i only got mine because final fantasy 7 didn't work with one of the earlier versions of bleem.
i ended up playing the psx a lot more than the n64 that i used to prefer.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Bought my original one with Mortal Kombat 3, The Raiden Project (still have that today) and the game I thought was so fantastic graphic-wise, it put everything to shame at the time...Battle Arena Toshinden. Course now it looks and plays so very dated but at its release, it was awe-inspiring. Still have my PS1, both American and Japanese along with the infamous Game Shark add-on :p

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I can't remember the year I got mine, I think it was '96. I remember getting the console, Crash Bandicoot, Doom and Street Fighter Alpha (which had the worst box art I have ever seen). I decided the PS1 was the way to go after reading a 4-6 page spread in Gamefan about FFVII. Never regretted it, I had some fun times with that system. Then the PS2 came out and was somehow even better.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Sold my Jaguar and games to get a PSX. Bought Assault Rigs, Raiden Project and Panzer General. The CD laser motor went out within 2 days, man I was fucking pissed off.

Should have kept the Jaguar.

64-bit

Do The Math

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
ohhh man I played the demo of assult rigs so many times(broke kid with a brand new PSX and no money to get a game), never did get to try the real version. Thanks for the reminder I havta go find that game now.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The PS1 was the system that broke me free from Nintnedo. I waited patiently for the N64, bought it at launch, kept it one week and returned it for a PS1. I never looked back. For its time, the PS1 was the best...it really took gaming to the next level. Games like Metal Gear, Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII were EPIC...

I don't get all of the Dreamcast hype figuring it was an arcade port saturated, short lived fail-boat machine at best...but respect for the PS1 is well placed.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
A used PS1 was the first thing I ever bought with my own paycheck...$80 for the system/cords, two controllers and a GH copy of Tekken. One of the best gaming decisions I ever made. The little guy is sitting two feet to my right as we speak. Tons of great memories.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting one of those PSOne system/screen bundles when they were clearancing them out.

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
Wow....15 years already. My brother and I traded in our SNES and about 30 games for it to the local Diehard Gamefan store (when they still existed) and got one soon after it came out. We couldn't believe how good the graphics and music were for the games and the fact that it had near-perfect arcade ports. PSX was one of the best systems ever, and I have many fond memories of playing it.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I got a refurbished one for my birthday one year. It was just after Final Fantasy 7 went on greatest hits.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dateline December, 1994:

I had been planning to get a Saturn. I'd been eying it since it had hit a few weeks earlier, checking out the games. I went to the import store to buy a Saturn. I had the money and everything. They had got in their first Playstations. I spent most of the afternoon playing both PSX and Saturn in the store, comparing games, graphics, upcoming release line-up.

Went home with a Playstation.

What's weird is that it was almost a repeat of the Genesis generation for me in that way. Had been planing to buy Genesis. Kept renting the system, trying different games. Then SNES came out. Tried SNES once and instantly abandoned all plans to buy Genesis.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Holy shit the PSX is 15!?!? I still remember playing playing To Shin Den and Ridge Racer for the first time and being blown away by their 3D glory.

I'm going to have to fire up some Ridge Racer and celebrate.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I remember a friend of mine got one with a few games for Christmas in '95. We played the crap out of Ridge Racer(still one of my personal favorite PS games) and Twisted Metal. Ah, good times.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Although I did have a PS1 early in the console's life I gotta admit that I was firmly on the side of the Saturn. Still, that first Christmas where I got the system was one of the best ever. I had been stuck in 16 bit hell for years, and friends had moved up to the new generation of systems. Then I finally had the system, Street Fighter Alpha, Wing Commander 3, and Cyber Sled. I played the hell out of those and the KOF 95 demo that came with the system.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
I remember I got one in 1997 with Oddworld and Twisted Metal. :drool:

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I grew up as a Nintendo kid. I remember my friend up the street got the PS1 and I went with the N64. As time went on I wanted one more and more.

I took a break from games for about 3 years after I was done with the N64, and one day I got the urge to buy a Playstation 1. I remember getting the model with the LCD screen attachment. It came with Pocket Fighter, and I had bought XvSF prior to it. Man I remember having fun times sitting on the computer with the PSOne on the desk too browsing the web and playing games. It was fun.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I got one the day it was released.

My parents said they'd pay for half if paid for the other.

Worked my ass off to get that thing.

Remember getting Battle Arena Toshinden and loving the hell out of that game.

I had that same system for ages.

And I'm pretty sure I still have the system and Toshinden in the back of my closet somewhere.

Worked fine minus the blue line during CG scenes and being flipped upside-down.

I was a big RPG guy then so that thing was a dream machine.

Definitely the PS1 and DC are my two most nostalgically favorite systems.

Last edited:

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I didn't get a PS1 in that time, I got a Nintendo 64. I didn't get a PS1 until 2000. Since I got it, I never looked back at my N64. I hated how my friends had a PS1 and they had the opportunity to play the awesome RPGs and fighters while N64 owners were kinda left in the dust in those generes. Don't get me wrong, I love the N64 but at the same time, I was ready for something different.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
I remember the console for having the worst ports of fighting games, especially 2d fighters.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I remember the console for having the worst ports of fighting games, especially 2d fighters.

Have you heard of something called a Nintendo64?

Playstation at least HAD ports of fighting games. And the ports of 3D fighting games were excellent. The Tekkens and Soul Edge were mind-blowing for the time. And Rival Schools was great. Of the 2D games, the Capcom ports ranged between decent to very good. And I think PSX was the only console to get a port of Power Instinct 2 at all.

The only place the 2D fighting game ports on PSX really fell down was with the SNK games.