AES - Scart Questions

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
There is a Neo Geo AES RGB SCART Cable

I also have a spare of this exact brand if you want it for less than that price.

Also Hyperkin has an HDMI Adapter, but i hear mixed results on this one

Overall, I'd go with the Retrotink RGB2COMP, appropriate scart cables for your consoles, and a good set of component cables for your TV should you want to stick with all that stuff. Once you realize it's a ballache to keep all that cabling looking decent and after all the adapters/converters/upscalers, look into either HD versions of your fav consoles (Super NT, Mega SG, AVS for NES, etc) or FPGA it.
Yeah, it's a little extra money, but if I were in the market for an adapter to use my scart cables on a component TV, I would go with this:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
@Iconoclast12 Please be careful when quoting in a reply to add your text outside the quote box.

Alternatively, some people skip scart and just buy component cables for their consoles (these convert the RGB signal to YPbPr internally). The HD Retrovision line is popular. Here's the Neo Geo adapter for that type of cable:

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
@Iconoclast12 Please be careful when quoting in a reply to add your text outside the quote box.

Alternatively, some people skip scart and just buy component cables for their consoles (these convert the RGB signal to YPbPr internally). The HD Retrovision line is popular. Here's the Neo Geo adapter for that type of cable:

So with this option, I buy genesis component cables and just plug them into that?

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
If you go with the scart option, I've noticed there are Euro Scart and JP Scart cables... Does this matter? My AES console is Japanese.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So with this option, I buy genesis component cables and just plug them into that?
Yes.

Getting scart cables for each of your consoles will offer more flexibility in case you buy an upscaler or pro CRT monitor in the future.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If you go with the scart option, I've noticed there are Euro Scart and JP Scart cables... Does this matter? My AES console is Japanese.
It doesn't matter for the console. JP scart, or JP-21, is a different standard on the TV side of the cable. That requires the right adapter/converter on the other side. Best to stick with Euroscart I think.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
Yes.

Getting scart cables for each of your consoles will offer more flexibility in case you buy an upscaler or pro CRT monitor in the future.

I like this option.. But where do I get a set of sega genesis component cables that don't cost $90-$150? I did an ebay and google search and that seems to be the going rate for genesis component cables.. I saw a few that were in the $15 range being shipped from China, but I'd like to avoid importing from China if possible.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I like this option.. But where do I get a set of sega genesis component cables that don't cost $90-$150? I did an ebay and google search and that seems to be the going rate for genesis component cables.. I saw a few that were in the $15 range being shipped from China, but I'd like to avoid importing from China if possible.
If you're going with component cables instead of scart, these are the cables meant to work with the adapter I posted. I wouldn't buy anything but these. These are the ones the component kids are gushing (jizzing) over:

venchia3

n00b
Agree with the above, do yourself a favour and do not cheap out on cables. HD retrovision’s ones are very well priced for the built quality they offer.

A good set of cables is a wise investment along with a PSU that offers clean power to the console.

Stay away from RGB or Component cables sold for 15$ or less!