AES vs MVS: A Cost Comparison

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
I decided to amass a SMALL homecart collection of the solid classics i keep coming back to again & again, homecarts have so much nostalgia for me, so much debate on MVS vs AES, how MVS is the gamers choice, but in my experience I dont see much difference if you do it right, but it ONLY works if you stick to common carts. Heres MY experience (emphasis on MY). Keep in mind this is GAMER condition AES stuff.

$130 AES (sold controllers)
$100 AES mod
$80 RBFF JP
$55 KOF95 JP
$55 KOF96 JP
$25 FFS JP
$20 AOF2 JP
$25 SS1 JP
$25 SS2 JP

$515 Total

$250 CMVS 1 Slot
$29 RBFF MVS
$29 KOF95 MVS
$29 KOF96
$25 FFS MVS
$18 AOF2 MVS
$20 SS MVS
$25 SS2 MVS
$80 7 shocks w/insert shipped

$505 total

prices include shipping on everything, however there is room on both to save for shipping (thats how I scored KOF95/96 so cheap, bundling shipping with a system from JPN)

Thoughts?

Lee (garg7)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Thoughts? - You wasted $80 on unofficial shockboxes.

:)

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
Thoughts? - You wasted $80 on unofficial shockboxes.

:)

Hehe, whatcha mean? (actually this is an estimate taken off southtown, I didnt actually do it, $7.50 per box + 7 inserts + shipping=roughly 80), but you COULD prolly save some cash buying carts that already include a shock, or finding cheaper used shocks ($4-$5 seems the going rate).

Unofficial - u mean shocks are just an approximation of home cart goodness?:D

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Any Metal Slug (preferably 1), which should be a must in any Neo library, throws this entire argument out though.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I'm with you Lee.
This is what I've been doing. MVS (cab and cmvs) for all the expensive selections and then AES for the more common ones.

Granted the cost comparisons if you are talking cmvs vs modded aes can be different if you do things yourself... an svideo DIY kit from Jeff is like 40 dollars.

DON 88T/A

n00b
I started with AES and realized quickly I would never be able to own the games that I really wanted to play..MVS is the only way for me to play the metal slugs/last blades,ect...but I do like aes and will get the cheap games for it.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
My thought is:

I don't completely "get" the CMVS route, but that's your way to go. I bet most people that are into the arcadiness of MVS games would also be into JAMMA arcade games and own a Cab or Supergun.

Therefore, instead of a $250 CMVS (a dedicated MVS unit), I'd have my X-hundred dollar Supergun and a 75$ one-slot MVS. Say I spend 300$ on the supergun, and some smaller portion of that 300$ is the cost of playing the MVS games. The rest of the cost is split between JAMMA, CPS2, etc, because I already own the Supergun.

Ultimately, I could knock off $100 bucks or so because the cost of the motherboard would be supplemented in addition to other arcade stuff I own... but some value of that stuff I own should be accounted for in the total price.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I dont see much difference if you do it right, but it ONLY works if you stick to common carts.

Thoughts?

My thought is that it is dumb to limit yourself. You think you will be happy forever playing nothing but common carts from 1996 and earlier. And maybe that will work for a while. Hell, I don't know you; maybe you'll be fine with that forever. But what happens at some point down the line if you decide, "Hey, I actually WOULD like to play Mark of the Wolves after all"? Or "this Last Blade game I keep hearing about," or Kizuna or a bunch of other games.

Answer: you're screwed.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Any Metal Slug (preferably 1), which should be a must in any Neo library, throws this entire argument out though.
Not to mention games like Pulstar, Neo Turf Masters, Blazing Star, and Shock Troopers.

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Decisions, decisions...

Whatever decision you make, whatever route you plan on taking...

There is no definitive way, just YOUR way. (Almost) everyone here found his way. Some did not and are angry on all the others on this board who did, so what!

Mine is, like that of many on this forum, an AES for the games that are in my price range and a CMVS for the games that are not.

The pros and cons of both AES and MVS have been discussed to death and beyond, so I will not list any of them here.

wimommy2boys

Super Sidekicks 2
Well spoken alpha. Its a matter of choice. i have had both and still have my 2 slot dedicated machine. Why i dunno something about standing there does more for me than sitting with a controller.

Kaike

Geese's Thug
This is easy a hell. You little women can be so pissy. Get a damn AES to MVS converter (or a 1 slot mobo) and a 100+ in one cart.

Flame on. :dragf::C:

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
This is easy a hell. You little women can be so pissy. Get a damn AES to MVS converter (or a 1 slot mobo) and a 100+ in one cart.

:oh_no: This makes no sense to me. Why buy original NeoGeo hardware (AES or MVS) and then use a non-original cart? If you don't give a shit about having original games, just play the damn roms on a computer.

For me, it's AES all the way! :vik:

ruderudie

Cheng's Errand Boy
You indeed forgot the best way to go:

Candy cab $ 500,-
mobo $ 50,-

The cab is a little investment off course, but that way you can also play cps2, atomiswave, jamma boards and Naomi. Plus it is the ultimate experience to play games.

For all the rest, it is very well known that nowadays the pre '96 games are actually cheaper on the AES than on MVS.

Kaike

Geese's Thug
:oh_no: This makes no sense to me. Why buy original NeoGeo hardware (AES or MVS) and then use a non-original cart? If you don't give a shit about having original games, just play the damn roms on a computer.

For me, it's AES all the way! :vik:

Spoken like a true douche bag.

I guess I will have to spell it out for you.

1. A rom is emulation and windows/linux/osx is not the games native hardware therefore there can be issues (the x-1 carts are not emulated)
2. SNK is making $0 off of any cart sales at this point, so its not helping them
3. Its cheaper
4. It saves space
5. You don't have to change the cart to play another game

Get your ass out of your head, IDK why you think you better for spending more money and wasting more time. I used to collect (real) carts and what not but it got to the point where it didn't make sense to not get an 108 for some of the fighters.
Its not replacing all my carts but it is saving me money and time.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Original hardware or not, the X-1 carts are roms on cheaply made bootleg carts. Do you really think the people that make them confirm the accuracy of the roms contained? Half of the included games are hacked/bootlegs anyway. Funny I didn't mention money, SNK or any of those things in my post. I didn't say I was better then you either did I? Yet I'm the douche bag? LOL

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

I guess I will have to spell it out for you.

1. A rom is emulation and windows/linux/osx is not the games native hardware therefore there can be issues (the x-1 carts are not emulated)
2. SNK is making $0 off of any cart sales at this point, so its not helping them
3. Its cheaper
4. It saves space
5. You don't have to change the cart to play another game

Get your ass out of your head, IDK why you think you better for spending more money and wasting more time. I used to collect (real) carts and what not but it got to the point where it didn't make sense to not get an 108 for some of the fighters.
Its not replacing all my carts but it is saving me money and time.

You're the only one getting pissy in this thread because people won't listen to your cheapass ways. :oh_no:

The phrase is 'head out of ass' by the way too.

Kaike

Geese's Thug
You're the only one getting pissy in this thread because people won't listen to your cheapass ways. :oh_no:

The phrase is 'head out of ass' by the way too.

Im aware what the phrase is. Sorry I was bringing the rage left over from the thinking of switching to MVS thread. And what's wrong with being cheap? Right now I'm 21, a student and I'm trying to create and fund a fully produced radio quality EP (like a album but smaller). I am broker than broke. Not everyone here is 32+, has a full time job and can spend tons of money, but hopefully we do all want to play Neo Geo games. When did it become about something other than playing the games?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

I find it ironic that you should worry about whether or not you're supporting a corporation but you're not willing to help your fellow man by allowing them a market for resale after they spent their hard earned money on legitimate goods.

...but then you wouldn't be supporting those pirates. :crying:

If you want to throw out names I've got several for you.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Well, some people simply don't want that fake 1937572-in-one stuff.

The point of this thread is to compare initial and long-term cost between the homecart system and MVS, not a contest to find the cheapest way to play Neo games. Roms would win here anyway.

Kaike

Geese's Thug
I find it ironic that you should worry about whether or not you're supporting a corporation but you're not willing to help your fellow man by allowing them a market for resale after they spent their hard earned money on legitimate goods.

...but then you wouldn't be supporting those pirates. :crying:

If you want to throw out names I've got several for you.

My so called fellow man aren't making new games for me to play.

Kaike

Geese's Thug
Well, some people simply don't want that fake 1937572-in-one stuff.

The point of this thread is to compare initial and long-term cost between the homecart system and MVS, not a contest to find the cheapest way to play Neo games. Roms would win here anyway.

Why not? Just so they can be all snooty?