Alcohol and weight gain

ChrisB

Another Striker
Anyone given up alcohol completely and lost weight?
Ive given up alcohol for about the last 3 months and lost only about 2lbs, apart from having a lot more energy I haven't noticed much weight loss.

Used to drink daily pretty much

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ive given up alcohol for about the last 3 months and lost only about 2lbs, apart from having a lot more energy I haven't noticed much weight loss.

what do you do now instead of drinking?

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Could be that you are replacing alcohol with food without realizing it. Liquor doesn't have that many calories. Neither do dry wines. What did you drink? Have you seen any difference in the mirror? The scale isn't typically a good indicator of overall fat.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Beer has a ton of calories.

We're talking as much as 180-300 calories per 12 oz. depending on type of beer. WTF.

ChrisB

Another Striker
what do you do now instead of drinking?

Eat man!! seriously nothing really I haven't substituted the alcohol with anything else, not even soft drinks really.

I used to drink about 2 large glasses of red or white wine a night, and drink about quarter of a bottle of scotch of a weekend.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

i stopped cold and lost the weight over night. it really depends on what your drinking, how much and how often.

i was drinking lots of vodka, whiskey, mikes harder lemonade, Lime-A-Ritas and 40z malt likka almost daily

thats a lot of sugar and empty calories

ChrisB

Another Striker
Could be that you are replacing alcohol with food without realizing it. Liquor doesn't have that many calories. Neither do dry wines. What did you drink? Have you seen any difference in the mirror? The scale isn't typically a good indicator of overall fat.

It could be possibly, but I haven't noticed that really, just eat 3 meals a day, don't eat junk or fast food. All these videos you see say you will loose weight that is all, you do feel healthier but I haven't noticed any weight loss.

Well when I look in the mirror I just don't see any difference, im 5ft 10 weight is 12st 6 pounds,

ChrisB

Another Striker
i stopped cold and lost the weight over night. it really depends on what your drinking, how much and how often.

i was drinking lots of vodka, whiskey, mikes harder lemonade, Lime-A-Ritas and 40z malt likka almost daily

thats a lot of sugar and empty calories

Okay cheers, I was drinking 2 large glasses of wine every night, no more than that though, weekend was about 1/4 quarter bottle of whisky

That is the thing there tons of empty calories in alcohol, also its slows metabolism down, how old you are? im 37

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Eat man!! seriously nothing really I haven't substituted the alcohol with anything else, not even soft drinks really.

I used to drink about 2 large glasses of red or white wine a night, and drink about quarter of a bottle of scotch of a weekend.

You'd be surprised how many calories you need to drop to lose weight.

Check out this calculator:

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-calories-per-day/

Put in your details and look at the difference between calories needed to maintain your current weight and calories needed to steadily reduce your current weight. It's probably in the region of 400-500 calories a day right?

Cutting two large glasses of red wine a day is going to cut out about 400 calories, so you're there or there abouts, the weight will start to move, but it won't drop off unless you either cut more calories or up the exercise.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Okay cheers, I was drinking 2 large glasses of wine every night, no more than that though, weekend was about 1/4 quarter bottle of whisky

That is the thing there tons of empty calories in alcohol, also its slows metabolism down, how old you are? im 37

im 31

thing is i tend to eat really healthy and only ate like shit when i was boozing so there is that as well.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yes alcohol is a major calorie killer but when it comes to losing weight it's all about what you eat. Last year I went from 215 at 6ft to about 175 just by maintaining under 2000 calorie diet. Running, weights and calisthenics is all I did for a work out about 3-4 times a week. I used a calorie calculator on my phone to manage how many calories I was consuming and burning a day. During this Winter I managed to put on 15lbs from drinking, eating, and not working out this winter but I could tell you guys from experience that drinking a few beers a week isn't what it is killing you. Stop I eating like shit and exercise if you really want to see results.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Stopped drinking when I was 14. Got fat for a while anyways.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Weight, in and of itself, is a rather poor indicator of general health.

Sugar and alcohol are close cousins from a metabolic standpoint. Both of them place a large burden on your liver and your insulin/glucagon system. After a certain amount of abuse, you body will degenerate into a pre-diabetic state, and your liver will begin to "rebel" by rapidly converting sugar and alcohol to fat. The fat will concentrate around your waist area.

The location and type of fat is critically important to its effect upon your health. Sub-cutaneous fat, which is more evenly distributed throughout the body, can actually have a protective health benefit up to a certain point. Fat which is localized around the mid-section, a.k.a. the "beer gut," is associated with nearly disastrous health condition that you can imagine (heart disease, many forms of cancer, diabetes, just to name a few).

The take home message here is that sugar, specifically fructose, is terrible for you (this includes both table sugar as well as HFCS). Stack it up with alcohol with the sugary drinks, and you're just setting yourself up for disaster. Pay less attention to weight, and more attention to where it's distributed. The beloved American reverse hourglass figure should set off alarm bells - this is a serious sign that your liver has had enough of your bullshit. You do not want to piss off your liver.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member

Liquor in terms of hard alcohol (whiskey, vodka, etc) doesn't have many calories, less than 100 calories per ounce really. However when you are mixing it with soda, syrup, juice etc - you introduce a ton of sugars that will definitely contribute to weight gain.

I drink a lot of beer, but my diet is otherwise healthy, I'm quite active and my body type isn't susceptible to gaining weight so it's not really a big deal. I think alcohol alone will not affect your weight, but more so a combination of diet and exercise - I guess drinking would just be a subcategory of diet anyhow.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
OP congrats on quitting alcohol. What made you do it?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Liquor in terms of hard alcohol (whiskey, vodka, etc) doesn't have many calories, less than 100 calories per ounce really.

That's about the same calories per ounce as french fries.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
liquid calories are what you have to cut.. basically anything that isn't water, tea or coffee

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
My problem wasn't the alcohol, it was all the shitty food I ate while drunk. :D

ChrisB

Another Striker
OP congrats on quitting alcohol. What made you do it?

Been drinking regularly from the age of 15, I started to gain some weight recently, the job I do at the moment is office based I used to go to the gym but i quit that just dont have the time unfortunately, and wanted to see the effects of quitting, I watched loads of videos saying give up and you will feel the health benefits and loosing weight, but as "Galfordo" has said maybe I shouldnt concentrate on weight per say