Amazon is forgettable (unless you have Prime)

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Prime pays for itself with Christmas season shipping alone.

I once bought a wooden dog house from Amazon with free prime shipping. A dog house!

325lb tool chest. Free 2 day FREIGHT shipping (I think it took 3 days...but so what...). Sears was charging $70 more and I would have had to take a seat out of my van and drive 90 mins round trip.

I appreciate local B & M's; both big and small, and will use them where possible and when things are equal, but sometimes you just can't.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I fought getting prime for years, but last January I signed up for the trial to test it, but goofed and ended up signing up. I was going to cancel it, but after I checked out their streaming music package, the few exclusive movies they get over Netflix, and the fact within the first quarter just over 4 items I got paid for more than 1/2 of it in shipping and 20% preorder/buying within 2weeks of release discounts I'm not going back. It's just too damn handy getting stuff same day or next day and the music streaming is excellent so there's no way I'm going back to free pandora or satellite radio either.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
The add-on items are a huge benefit too. I just added a board game my kids wanted, "CodeNames" for $7. It's normally $15 on amazon and $20 in the stores. They randomly discount it to $7 as an add-on for prime members.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Amazon prime only pays for itself if you don't take into account the real cost of mass consumption.

All you really are doing by using amazon prime is wasting less money.

Every commodity you buy is a piece of your own death.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Also: Prime Now.

Ordered a Fire Tablet last year, on thanksgiving. At like 11am. Got it by 1pm the same day. Brother in law ordered an Amazon Echo Dot yesterday, thanksgiving day - got it within an hour. I've needed some random piece of shit on a given day and didn't have time to run to home depot. Prime Now'd it, and had it in less than 2 hours.

In some areas in the city you can even get food delivery. Amazon Prime+PrimeNow is the absolute shit. Someone said they could charge $200 and they wouldn't bat an eye. I was ready to say "yah I dunno about 2 hundo.." but in reality, I agree. That shit is amazing.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
all of my office supplies for the windy warehouse- boxes, packing labels, paper, pens, packing tape, bubble wrap... even some of the furniture and tools.. amazon.

dry goods like toilet paper, detergent, paper towels, cleaning supplies- amazon- with the dash buttons. am i low on something? push the button where i store that shit. get notification on phone. boom done.

general stuff? amazon.

free streaming music, movies, and ebooks? all amazon. never pay shipping anymore. if i need something now there are a lot of other B&M stores that price match amazon.

it's well worth the $100/ yr. The wife and I have a 'household' account. so we share one prime membership between both of our accounts. even better.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
GCU > Prime.
I did nearly all my shopping online at Best Buy this year. I don't want to wait around for Amazon's shitty Lighting Deals. Amazon used to be the place for Black Friday but that was years ago.

Yup, dat Gamers Club Unlocked....

20% off all games, not just pre-orders. Frequently $10 in rewards certificates for pre-orders on top of the 20% off. Then add in my Elite Plus reward zone level, as well as the bonus from using my RW platimun card and pre-orders edd up being much more than 20% off. I think I'd calculated that I'd gotten the $100 version of Halo 5 for just under $50 after all the rewards and such.

And Elite Plus rewards level is free 2 day shipping. Elite Plus level rewards is free, GCU is $30/2 years. Add in that all I generally buy online is either from a forum, feebay, or BB and I've got no need for Amazon. And besides, they're on my "they can kiss my ass" list.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
You get 20% off new games too with Prime, and you don't even have to preorder. I think they let you buy new games (within a week or two) and still get the 20%.
For games alone, GCU is objectively better than Prime. The Prime discount expires after a certain period of time. GCU is 20% off new (as in not pre-owned) forever, even if they are on sale (except Black Friday).

edit: And if Amazon puts Best Buy out of business, you can kiss the Prime discount goodbye.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Only thing bad about Amazon is that i have to pay taxes...

They tax digital downloads in DC which is against the law, 100%. I hope they get class actioned and Bezos gets raped in the ass until his spirit leaves his body.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
For games alone, GCU is objectively better than Prime. The Prime discount expires after a certain period of time. GCU is 20% off new (as in not pre-owned) forever, even if they are on sale (except Black Friday).

edit: And if Amazon puts Best Buy out of business, you can kiss the Prime discount goodbye.

I doubt they will put Best Buy out of business. I love Best Buy and still use them for Appliances and other stuff plus they have price matching. All the Best Buys around my way are pretty busy. All I have to do is show them the price of what it's going for on Amazon and they sell it for that price. Also use them when I need something that same day. Also use Pc Richard from time to time and Micro Center.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Only thing bad about Amazon is that i have to pay taxes...

uh. i dont pay taxes. I believe that is based on states.

Anyways, it's worth it if you use even part of their services. Hell, dont forget Audible.
I've never regretted the Prime service. You can usually buy stuff off ebay marketplaces for the same price if you are really anti-amazon for some reason. Shipping is slower, but price is the same.

I would never get GCU. I use prime for day to day items, and I rarely buy electronics at BB.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I do love prime, but buying from Amazon isn't always the cheapest option. They do factor some shipping costs into the price often, and I've seen better deals from 3rd party sellers or even ebay. It all depends on what you're buying. You have to shop around.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I do love prime, but buying from Amazon isn't always the cheapest option. They do factor some shipping costs into the price often, and I've seen better deals from 3rd party sellers or even ebay. It all depends on what you're buying. You have to shop around.

this is certainly correct, but there is a convenience factor for me. I'll pay $1 more if I dont have to see the people of Walmart.
I like ordering stuff while I'm travelling, so it is all there when i get home from a week of work on the road.

The credits from selecting NoRush shipping are actually quite nice too. I stacked up quite a bit of Prime Pantry credits by selecting snail mail shipping instead of express.