And now here they are!

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
The most daredevil group of daffy drivers to ever whirl their wheels,

in the ..... Wacky Races!

Don't know if any of you have seen this commercial, but it's better than a lot of actual remakes of shows coming out these days.

I would totally watch it.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Nice, it is so good because it skips all the terrible conversation and human interaction in most of the current movies.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
he kicked Muttley out! Then again...I only see one head after he picks up Penelope and they are going around that curve...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How do people still know about this IP? It's from 1968.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
A lot of those cartoons survived in reruns straight through the 80s and even into the 90s.
Many of them could still be watched on cartoon network's retro channel boomerang well into the 2000s and beyond.
I was born in the late 70s so lots of those cartoons weren't quite retro when I was growing up.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
i get that. but the 90's were 30 years ago. i guess their target demographic is 40-60 year olds?
There was a Whacky Races boardgame from a prominent company a few years ago, and I thought the same thing.

I loved the show as a kid, I'm just surprised it's still relevant. I imagine most of Hanna Barbara brands are fading away.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
i get that. but the 90's were 30 years ago. i guess their target demographic is 40-60 year olds?
There was a Whacky Races boardgame from a prominent company a few years ago, and I thought the same thing.

They were still rerunning it in the late 90s.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I get that, but no one became attached to the IP via a Dreamcast game. which was 23 years ago...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I loved the show as a kid, I'm just surprised it's still relevant. I imagine most of Hanna Barbara brands are fading away.

I agree it’s strange. You’d have to be late 50s or in your 60s to have watched the show as a child.

I definitely watched the reruns as a child on occasion but they’re not a standout cartoon memory.

My assumption is that it’s just creatively bankrupt corporations mining their backlog of IPs to make something cheaper.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

WTF?

Godzilla is from 1954 and still sells hundreds of millions of dollars worth toys every year.

Beowulf is on Amazon as a paperback for $10. It’s ten centuries old.

The pope has made a pretty good living off the Bible and its fans and that’s 2000 years old.

Also, this ad was made for France.

Also, people in their 60s kinda have all the money. Why not target them?

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
There was a short lived reboot about five years or so back.

I loved that show as a kid.

There is an auto show in England where they have reproductions of the cars and costumed characters. They do a little staged race and drive through town.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Wacky Racers fandom seems to vary greatly by region. There has always been WR merch in Japan and I get the feeling a lot it is exported to like…Spain or some place. Poland is probably only now just discovering it. Maybe it’s big in Belgium.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
WTF?

Godzilla is from 1954 and still sells hundreds of millions of dollars worth toys every year.

Beowulf is on Amazon as a paperback for $10. It’s ten centuries old.

The pope has made a pretty good living off the Bible and its fans and that’s 2000 years old.

Also, this ad was made for France.

Also, people in their 60s kinda have all the money. Why not target them?

Godzilla isn’t a great example as it has consistently had new films, spin-offs, etc since the 1950s.

Godzilla is iconic. Wacky Racers isn’t.

That said when are we getting a new Godzilla film? I thought they were making a followup to Shin Godzilla. New monster-verse film?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
There are a lot of Godzilla movies but there have been two long breaks in the series, nine years between the goofy period and the good stuff and then twelve years between the good stuff and the J rocker pretty boy stuff. The merch never stopped. There is a Criterion BR now.

And people still buy specifically Godzilla 1954 stuff. The film itself is better than any of its sequels. You can still buy new GKs and UFO toys and shit based on the 60-70 year old Godzilla. For some people it’s like golden age Superman or pie eyed Mickey. None of the other stuff does it for them.

Wacky Racers may seem less iconic to us because we also got the two million other shit HB cartoons and nobody cares. It’s not that great, for sure, but the Japanese may have experienced it in more of a vacuum and it may have really stood out. I know the LD boxes are really nice, that was about 30 years ago when those came out. There was at least one capsule series from Bandai/Konami, they’re still all over eBay.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
@Lagduf I know Im a bit older than you (41), but I definitely watched Wacky Racers as a kid. Just like Looney Tunes, Flintstones, Jetsons, Mr Wizard ect...

Just because it originally came out before your time, doesn't mean you aren't familiar with it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Many of the Criterion movies do not contain the English soundtracks. It's not up to the Criterion standard.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Many of the Criterion movies do not contain the English soundtracks. It's not up to the Criterion standard.

Dubs are for retards, that’s probably why.

Godzilla 1954 is however really two movies. The US and OG versions are massively different, there’s no Steve Martin in the JP one and there’s no character equivalent either. The OG is considerably more bleak. I’ll watch either version. The DVD I have has both.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
@Lagduf I know Im a bit older than you (41), but I definitely watched Wacky Racers as a kid. Just like Looney Tunes, Flintstones, Jetsons, Mr Wizard ect...

Just because it originally came out before your time, doesn't mean you aren't familiar with it.

I’ve absolutely seen it. I’m only 2 years younger than you lol.

I still agree with NeoSneth, it’s a weird series to reboot. Maybe it will do well.