Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I'm sure they're getting absolutely pummeled by upset manbois asking where their handhelds are. My impression is that the company doesn't have all that many employees. It's probably quite a bit smaller than most people are imagining. Props to them for making these things though, they've definitely had a massive impact on this market.

For real though, I just want to play Lament of Innocence while I'm taking a dump. Is that too much to ask?? 😭😭

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Has anyone found one of these devices with decent face buttons and D-Pad? I've owned the Retroid Pocket 2+, and the Odin Lite. The buttons are awful. Playing something like Blazing Star, or any game that requires fast button presses is so frustrating they are basically unplayable.

I talked with one of the guys from Retroid and he said they would look into it, like 2 years ago maybe.

They never really mention in review videos if the buttons are good for these types of games, and they always seem to be trash.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They're less powerful, but it's one of the reasons I stick to Anbernic devices. The controls are usually really good.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
They're less powerful, but it's one of the reasons I stick to Anbernic devices. The controls are usually really good.

Seconded. The Anbernic D-pads have been the best I've found so far.

The RP3+ is good, but not perfect. I don't like playing fighting games on a handheld, except for ngpc games and I can do just fine with the dpad. But yeah, Anbernic just feels better. The Arc-D (am I saying that right?) looks pretty great in that department.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
new handheld coming with new UNISOC T820

Anbernic RG556

Anbernic-rg556-1.jpg

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
@Ajax do you know how to do the PS2 widescreen hack thing? I am a total noob to that and don't wanna go into a hex editor, etc. But the Castlevania games look dope running widescreen.

Anyone know how to implement the widescreen hacks in AetherSX2?!

Ajax

15 Year Member
Looks like you go into graphics > enable widescreen patches. From what I could see, that’s all there is to it. I haven’t had a chance to mess with it firsthand though.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Looks like you go into graphics > enable widescreen patches. From what I could see, that’s all there is to it. I haven’t had a chance to mess with it firsthand though.
Now I gotta go try!

So I didn't realize this was working. Looks to be that in games where there is raster HUD elements, etc. Those will still stretch. But the 3D stuff won't. Very cool.

Both Vania's are running 60fps at 3X on the RP4Pro. 😎 They run perfect on the 3+ at native res.

IMG_20240121_152329.jpg

Last edited:

Ajax

15 Year Member
My RP4 Pro came in! Been setting it up mostly, but it’s very cool. It may be my imagination, but it feels just a bit thiccer than the 3/3+ and it’s real nice.

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence does indeed run locked at 60 fps at 2x. It can handle 3x, but the display is only 720p, and 3x is way more than that. Probably load up Kirby’s Epic Yarn also and play through these two first!

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
My RP4 Pro came in! Been setting it up mostly, but it’s very cool. It may be my imagination, but it feels just a bit thiccer than the 3/3+ and it’s real nice.

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence does indeed run locked at 60 fps at 2x. It can handle 3x, but the display is only 720p, and 3x is way more than that. Probably load up Kirby’s Epic Yarn also and play through these two first!

Hell yeah, which color did you get? Mine should be here soon...it's still on it's journey out of China. I did the 4PX which cost extra, so hopefully soon.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I got the gray one with SFC style buttons. I’ll post a picture later on!

I’m sorry to break it to you, but 4PX is the slow option 😭😭 DHL is the faster one, but they’ve slowed down a lot after that strike a while back.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I got the gray one with SFC style buttons. I’ll post a picture later on!

I’m sorry to break it to you, but 4PX is the slow option 😭😭 DHL is the faster one, but they’ve slowed down a lot after that strike a while back.

hahaha sonofa....now I remember skimping on that thinking, "I'm in no rush":cautious:

Ajax

15 Year Member
Been having a lot of fun messing around with PS2 on this. The only game that hasn’t run well was Gradius V, which runs like absolute butt, interestingly.

Outrun 2006 runs nice at native resolution. We Love Katamari seems to run just fine at 2x.

IMG_1408.jpeg

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Really regretting this slow shipping I opted for. Bummer about Gradius - had it in my folder ready to go.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Yeah, maybe if you try the OpenGL renderer it will work better? It also has a widescreen patch, but only the original 4:3 area is actual playfield and it just kinda sucks.

Also, there’s an Initial D game for PS2 in Japan that’s dope, and that runs perfectly at 2x. If you haven’t tried it, check it out.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I've seen a handful of videos shitting on the PS2 compatibility with the RP4 Pro... Mainly for clickbait I feel, however this guys has streamed many hours of PS2 games and all I can say is I am excited/impressed

Last edited:

Ajax

15 Year Member
So I realized that there are different performance modes. I’ve been playing on standard this whole time, haha. Gradius V runs fine in the higher performance modes. Speech isn’t synced up properly, but who cares about that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've seen a handful of videos shitting on the PS2 compatibility with the RP4 Pro... Mainly for clickbait I feel, however this guys has streamed many hours of PS2 games and all I can say is I am excited/impressed

That's kinda funny, on past devices most of the reviewers are like "LOOK IT CAN PLAY XXX SYSTEM!" and the shit runs at like 8 fps.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
That's kinda funny, on past devices most of the reviewers are like "LOOK IT CAN PLAY XXX SYSTEM!" and the shit runs at like 8 fps.

I think I am also going too deep into the YT rabbit hole looking for videos with the device and I am coming across sooo many neckbeards making videos without even owning the device...."Before you buy the RP4+" etc....what a hellscape