Any Advice for an Interview?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Interviews fucking suck so hard. I'm sorry... There's a ton of good advice in this thread though.

Dress nice. Wear a suit and a solid color dress shirt. Make sure you know how to tie a tie properly (it's stupid, but a lot of interviewers are going to notice if you don't have a dimple in your tie).

Above all, try to relax. It's been said several times in this thread, but it will seal the deal if you can keep your cool and operate under pressure.

The interview for the job I have now was fucking brutal.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Don't forget to call and bug them. Ask for a manager or HR. Tell them that you turned in a resume (or app, if retail), and that you're following up with it. Call every week and bug them. I just did that for Target and they said they'll call me soon (I just applied yesterday).

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I usually do good on interviews my problems on getting the interview.
I've had some crazy interviews lately theres been a few when they have multiple interviewee's. One the other day had 25 people there.

I was going to make a thread about how to get a job in the new economy.
Mainly looking for general tips.
Every job I've ever gotten I got in person and on the spot. I hear these days even Taco Bell will only takes apps online. Seems impossible to even get the HR persons contact info until after the jobs been filled.
My school has a fulltime employee that goes over your resume with you so I'm going to take advantage of, obviously my resume isn't working.

Sounds like cover letters are a big deal these days as well, guess I should write one.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Don't forget to call and bug them. Ask for a manager or HR. Tell them that you turned in a resume (or app, if retail), and that you're following up with it. Call every week and bug them. I just did that for Target and they said they'll call me soon (I just applied yesterday).

wrong.
One or two call backs at most, beyond that you will just be remembered as that really annoying guy.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Today
I had sent out a resume along time ago and had an over the phone interview and never heard anything back from the corporate office. I stopped by yesterday and dropped off a business card. I followed up today by having $30 worth of coffee and pastries delevered to them along with my resume.
Corporate called me up a couple hours later and said don't go to the office or ever contact them again. Guess they dont like doughnuts.
I proceeded to find HR #'s and harang the hell out of them.
What do I have to loose except my $30, they allready told me I dont have the job and never will. I begged pleaded and cried, I had the unemployment guy call and offer several thousand to hire me, they hung up on him. I tried to call the main Hr guy one last time and do an elevator pitch and he hung up on me in three seconds.

I looked them up for the first time in months and financially they are in the death throes,
thank God for unanswered prayers I guess.

It was a high pressure sales job by the way. I think I should've pitched harder sooner.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
a big thing is the thank you. I have sent and hand delivered thank you cards for the interview/ consideration. if that is out of the question send a nice thank you email to the contact there for the interview. you will be suprised how far a thank you note goes.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Well, I had the interview this morning. It was supposed to be 30 minutes but ended up lasting 50. I feel it went pretty well. The recruiter said that so far I'm the only person that's interviewed since I'm the only person that submitted a resume she liked. Should hear back within the week.