Any reason to own an original Xbox in 2023?

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
The clock capacitor juice is really tasty.
Ha!
But he brings up a good point. When I learned of this issue a year or two ago, I opened mine up, and the clock capacitor had already begun leaking. It wasn't too bad fortunately, but I'd imagine if not addressed, the acid will eventually eat away at the motherboard. It's a particularly common problem with early board revisions due to the cheap capacitor they used, but apparently can effect just about any unit, so it's worth checking yours.

tDRG

n00b
Ha!
But he brings up a good point. When I learned of this issue a year or two ago, I opened mine up, and the clock capacitor had already begun leaking. It wasn't too bad fortunately, but I'd imagine if not addressed, the acid will eventually eat away at the motherboard. It's a particularly common problem with early board revisions due to the cheap capacitor they used, but apparently can effect just about any unit, so it's worth checking yours.

Thanks for the more serious reminder, it's a pretty big issue. It's one thing for caps to bulge or stop working, but inevitably leaking acid is not good.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
When I learned of this issue a year or two ago, I opened mine up, and the clock capacitor had already begun leaking.

The first Xbox I owned croaked several years ago due to this. The traces got eat up, which causes it to randomly turn on or off without touching the power button. I hated to lose it since it had one of the first generation modchips in it, but was at least able to transfer the HDD to another console.

The first thing I did afterwards was rip the ones out from a few clunker Xboxes I had sitting around from trade deals.

tDRG

n00b
The first Xbox I owned croaked several years ago due to this. The traces got eat up, which causes it to randomly turn on or off without touching the power button. I hated to lose it since it had one of the first generation modchips in it, but was at least able to transfer the HDD to another console.

The first thing I did afterwards was rip the ones out from a few clunker Xboxes I had sitting around from trade deals.
Yeah, it's one of the first things I see in original Xbox discussions now. That's too bad.

metouto

n00b
Is there any reason to own an original Xbox now? It seems like mostly everything has been remastered, ported, or is backwards compatible with the 360. I know people used to use them for emulation boxes but there seems to be better ways here on APK Hooks. I just don't think I'll ever use mine again for any reason, am I missing anything?
While the original Xbox may not be as relevant as it once was, there are still a few reasons why some people may choose to own one:
  1. Nostalgia: For those who have fond memories of playing games on the original Xbox, owning one can be a way to revisit those experiences and relive the nostalgia associated with the console.
  2. Exclusive Titles: While many games from the original Xbox have been remastered or made backward compatible on newer consoles, there are still a few exclusive titles that haven't been re-released. If there are specific games you enjoy that fall into this category, owning the original Xbox would allow you to play them.
  3. Collectibility: Some people enjoy collecting gaming consoles, and the original Xbox can be a valuable addition to a collection. Owning the console along with its original accessories and games can be appealing to collectors.
  4. Modding and Homebrew: The original Xbox is known for being mod-friendly, and some individuals enjoy the process of modding the console to run custom software, homebrew games, or emulation. If you're interested in tinkering with hardware and exploring alternative uses for the console, it can still have value in that regard.
Ultimately, whether or not there is a reason for you to keep your original Xbox depends on your personal preferences, nostalgia, and specific use cases. If you feel that you won't use it and don't have any attachment to it, it may make sense to sell or donate it to someone who would appreciate it more.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
While the original Xbox may not be as relevant as it once was, there are still a few reasons why some people may choose to own one:
  1. Nostalgia: For those who have fond memories of playing games on the original Xbox, owning one can be a way to revisit those experiences and relive the nostalgia associated with the console.
  2. Exclusive Titles: While many games from the original Xbox have been remastered or made backward compatible on newer consoles, there are still a few exclusive titles that haven't been re-released. If there are specific games you enjoy that fall into this category, owning the original Xbox would allow you to play them.
  3. Collectibility: Some people enjoy collecting gaming consoles, and the original Xbox can be a valuable addition to a collection. Owning the console along with its original accessories and games can be appealing to collectors.
  4. Modding and Homebrew: The original Xbox is known for being mod-friendly, and some individuals enjoy the process of modding the console to run custom software, homebrew games, or emulation. If you're interested in tinkering with hardware and exploring alternative uses for the console, it can still have value in that regard.
Ultimately, whether or not there is a reason for you to keep your original Xbox depends on your personal preferences, nostalgia, and specific use cases. If you feel that you won't use it and don't have any attachment to it, it may make sense to sell or donate it to someone who would appreciate it more.
You motherfucker, why are you using chatgpt to generate posts?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Just what we need - another bot trying to take our jobs. Soon we'll all just be AI bots responding to each other.