Anybody here got love for the Mortal Kombat Games?

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
ShmengeTravel said:
Anyone here notice that the MK series is noticably harder than most SF/KOF games? Like seriously, in KOF or SF I can make it at least through the first 4 rounds flawlessly, but I'll be damned if I can make it passed the 2nd opponent in UMK3.

This is with all machines on hardest difficulty, btw. In my head, I'm comparing UMK3 with CvS and SF2T. Out of those 3, UMK3 is definitely the hardest. I think CvS and SVC Chaos are probably the easiest games ever released, CvS with it's nearly invincible "jump-toward, light punch" feature and SVC with it's "just-crouch-and-light-kick-through-the-whole-round" feature. Man, good times.

Edit- also, proof that I use the search function.

As much as I loved the series when I was younger, I really didn't enjoy playing the games by myself, due to the shit AI the games were always stuck with. Sadly, bad AI for the series persists to this day. They were only really playable with other people, but after 2, my interest kind of wained.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
I cared somewhat for the series the first two games. Trilogy was fun in a clusterfuck MK sort of way, but I lost complete interest in MK after MKT.

II is the only one that I think genuinely plays pretty well, given its time and context. Well, I guess UMK3 wasn't so bad too, but by then it lost its novelty which MKII still had a bit of.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sometimes I'd play thru UMK3 on the SNES just for the chance to get to play Pong at the end.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
MK has not aged well. I tryed firing up MK II on mame the other night, even with a USB saturn pad the movements are hard as hell to input.

I mean, I have gone years without playing street fighter, but it's like riding a bike. The MK shit has such hard timing for certain moves, even a simple forward-forward-punch doesn't always register normally.

Anyway, I stopped playing when I couldn't even beat the 3rd guy up the ladder...

The graphics use to look a helluva lot better too.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
I used to watch people play MK2, but i got into it with MK3 and UMK3 on arcades. Defineltely the best in the series IMO. Specially UMK3 because of the amount of characters, and the combos.

I always thought this game was pretty solid, i kinda wonder why it hasn't made it tournament wise in a retro games convention (along with KI 1 or 2), given that both were widely played in the 90s.

Because compared to to Streetfighter 2 it doesnt have a chance as a fighter.

NEO-FREAK-UK

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I enjoyed enjoy the MKs back in the day.

Had them on the old 16bit's.

And for me the series peaked with Trilogy on the PS - played the hell out of that one.

Don't like the 3D versions.

But playing them nowadays just can't compare to the depth of the SNK fighters - there's no going back for me.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
NeoDragoN said:
I got alot of love for the MK games, UMK3 has definately sparked my interest again recently!

I just played MK Armageddon today, it was all so promising, fantastic CG intro, loooooaddds of characters, kreate your own character....but oh it falls short because of the absolutly shitty fatality system!

The fatality system has just ruined this game for me completely, anyone else should be aware of this!

Anyhow like most people MK2 is the high point of the series for definate, i still like MK3/UMK3 but MK2 had the rawness of MK still without being too stupid, i do really like the combo system and animalitys in MK3 though :)

MK4 was'nt to bad i used to love the breakers on it, some real nasty shit but i don't think 4 was as bad as people said, i think Gold on the DC was actually worse if i remember right? I might have to pick Gold up again....

As for Deadly Alliance & Deception....i like em, deception is obviously the better of the pair but they both actually have great stories and play quite well, although the kombo system is quite stiff it still felt like MK.

I hope they release MK2 on the XBLA.

Edit : Oh yes Mk Trilogy was pretty cool too, must pick it up again! Which version though?

:mad: MORTALLLL KOMBBBATTTT

(for those who don't know, neod and I have been engaged in HARSH PROFESSIONAL LEVEL TOURNAMENTS on MK2 recently.. I always whip his ass in the end though) :emb:

Last edited:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
In retrospect, I enjoyed the era the games came out of and how they were a part of the early to mid-nineties arcade scene, more than the actual games themselves.

I know all my friends and relatives wanted to play MK1 and 2 at the time, so I was kinda forced to get into it, but I actually don't remember enjoying the core gameplay at all. Fatalities were, and will always be completely awesome and groundbreaking, IMO.

There was a brief period of time when I thought that MK1 looked amazing and SF2 looked old and shitty; that was probably the first time seeing the game (as it was perched next to SF2CE at the arcade). My, how time has changes that perception.

Marek

Banned
I always thought the gameplay was rigid and horrible.

What Rade said about fatalities though.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I will always have love for MK2...the rest is shit though.

NEO-FREAK-UK

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Populous said:
I always thought the gameplay was rigid and horrible.

I agree.

And If you wanted MK style visuals and streetfighter-esque gameplay you needed KILLER INSTINCT - My SNES didnt know what hit it when that motherfucker came out :D

Rade K

20 Year Member
Killer Instinct was for assholes.

Another tacky piece of shit in a long line of overrated Rare abortions.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Rade said:

couldn't have said it better myself

NEO-FREAK-UK

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Rade said:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

But ya know what, I'd rather be an asshole that enjoyed a videogame, than just an asshole that didn't. :lolz:

Peace out,
NEO-FREAK.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I've been an MK fanboy since I was a little un sneaking in games at hockey rinks.

UMK3 is my fave, MK4 is the worst. I've liked all of them from DA on.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I still have a soft spot for MK.

Many people will agree that UMK3 is the deepest of the series and the best for competitive play. And MKII is the best presentation wise. But I think I would flat out hate the series if it weren't for nostalgia. All the hype about fatalities as a little kid drew me into the series..in short, if it wasn't for hype+being naive+nostalgia I would go as far as saying the series is garbage.

Rade K

20 Year Member
NEO-FREAK-UK said:
Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

But ya know what, I'd rather be an asshole that enjoyed a videogame, than just an asshole that didn't. :lolz:

Peace out,
NEO-FREAK.

I swear, everyone in the UK has the stamper bros. flaccid penises planted firmly in their mouths.

NEO-FREAK-UK

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Rade said:
I swear, everyone in the UK has the stamper bros. flaccid penises planted firmly in their mouths.

Seems like a kinder fate than to have their heads planted firmly up their own asses like certain others.

Why such Prejudice man? We're talking about fucking video games here, why take it so damn seriously!!!!? :lolz:

Get over it, man.

Peace out,
NEO-FREAK.

Last edited:

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
NEO-FREAK-UK said:
Seems like a kinder fate than to have their heads planted firmly up their own asses like certain others.

Why such Prejudice man? We're talking about fucking video games here, why take it so damn seriously!!!!? :lolz:

Get over it, man.

Peace out,
NEO-FREAK.

:tickled:

Good luck getting anyone here to realize that.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
If you have Ultimate MK3 for XBLA, hit me up so you can rip my spine out. In the game, of course. :tickled:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I used to love the MK series, but I have since grown up.
I'll play MKT here and there, but it's more so because its one of the few fighters more broken than SvC Chaos.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Terrible idea.

Can anyone explain why Block has to be a separate button?

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
OrochiEddie said:
I used to love the MK series, but I have since grown up.
I'll play MKT here and there, but it's more so because its one of the few fighters more broken than SvC Chaos.

Are you sure about that? I mean, need I remind you you can beat the entire game by just crouch kicking in SVC Chaos. That's pretty damned broken to me.