anyone here have a drone

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I was making fun of grown ass men who are so fucking helpless that they outsource even the work done on their toys. If that’s not ridiculous then you must be one of them. As I said, it started with buggies and trucks but is even more evident with drone people.

The comparison to 3D printers isn’t the product it’s the demographic. Most 3D printers ever made are already in the garbage. They are like bandsaws and guitars and sewing machines and exercise bikes, bought in a moment’s thrill and forgotten the second anything goes wrong or when the owner discovers how hard the thing actually is. Good intentions never followed up on. People with more spare cash than passion for anything. The drone probably has more dust on it than the Shake Weight.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I was making fun of grown ass men who are so fucking helpless that they outsource even the work done on their toys. If that’s not ridiculous then you must be one of them. As I said, it started with buggies and trucks but is even more evident with drone people.

The comparison to 3D printers isn’t the product it’s the demographic. Most 3D printers ever made are already in the garbage. They are like bandsaws and guitars and sewing machines and exercise bikes, bought in a moment’s thrill and forgotten the second anything goes wrong or when the owner discovers how hard the thing actually is. Good intentions never followed up on. People with more spare cash than passion for anything. The drone probably has more dust on it than the Shake Weight.
I really think your avatar should permanently be changed to this:

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 12.53.24 PM.png

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I understand your second point, but not your first.

It would not be ridiculous were I to outsource work on one of my toys to a professional. I would take one of my firearms to a gunsmith or a vehicle to a garage.

Unless you mean basic repairs and service?

Your post just seems angry to me about how you perceive people should act or what skills they should have.

Leave them be. Hang out and associate with the hobbyists you enjoy. Let the plebs be plebs. They will not harm you or the enjoyment of your activities.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If you’re comparing a car and a firearm to toy helicopter perhaps that’s the disconnect we are having. This is a made in China plastic doodad. You don’t need a license to work on it or (in most cases) operate it.

I have no problem with “gate keeping” but this isn’t it. Not even playing with your toys in a grown up way is like giving up on life. It’s like paying someone to play basketball for you. Why would you do that? I’m not attacking people for a lack of skills but rather a lack of engagement in the thing. Repair of RC shit is not some master course in watchmaking. This should be obvious when you see the droogs doing the repairs. Any fool can fix RC shit. It’s designed to be worked on. But you’ll never learn if you have a guy that does it for you.

A strange and extreme example of this is found in Mini4WD which is a super niche form of slot racing that I’m fond of. The car is like a model rocket in that once set it off, it’s totally on its own. No RC. So the building is ALL there is and yet still you see the overly monied kids actually buying completed cars. They want to show up, turn it on, and win. They are too dumb to build the car themselves but they tell themselves they just don’t have time or that building is for monkeys. I don’t even get how that can be satisfying. It’s like being the owner of a race horse but not the trailer or the jockey. The difference between KOF and a slot machine.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
People just don't care about fixing things, they just throw a thing out and buy a new one. Its about time and effort. I even had an argument with a family member who wanted me to buy a whole new kitchen sink just because there was a water pressure issue and that trying to fix it myself was a waste of time.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
If you’re comparing a car and a firearm to toy helicopter perhaps that’s the disconnect we are having. This is a made in China plastic doodad. You don’t need a license to work on it or (in most cases) operate it.

I have no problem with “gate keeping” but this isn’t it. Not even playing with your toys in a grown up way is like giving up on life. It’s like paying someone to play basketball for you. Why would you do that? I’m not attacking people for a lack of skills but rather a lack of engagement in the thing. Repair of RC shit is not some master course in watchmaking. This should be obvious when you see the droogs doing the repairs. Any fool can fix RC shit. It’s designed to be worked on. But you’ll never learn if you have a guy that does it for you.

A strange and extreme example of this is found in Mini4WD which is a super niche form of slot racing that I’m fond of. The car is like a model rocket in that once set it off, it’s totally on its own. No RC. So the building is ALL there is and yet still you see the overly monied kids actually buying completed cars. They want to show up, turn it on, and win. They are too dumb to build the car themselves but they tell themselves they just don’t have time or that building is for monkeys. I don’t even get how that can be satisfying. It’s like being the owner of a race horse but not the trailer or the jockey. The difference between KOF and a slot machine.
1630092309340.png1630092311873.png1630092313229.png1630092314517.png1630092317054.png1630092319956.png1630092321090.png1630092322270.png
1630092324610.png

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
We need @NeoSneth to comment on the current state of drones.

Hah. I only build quads on occasion now. Mostly when I see something new, and mostly small ones. I 3D printed the NanoLongQuad for a build recently. I liked the idea of a quad built around a battery for longevity.

The commercial options are soo damn good now. The flight controllers handle everything. Unfortunately I couldn't comment on the feature comparison among Parrot, DJI, and others. I'm probably most impressed with the new wave of auto-follow quads.

I see BJZ's point. It was true even 6 years ago that many people buying these were not hobbyists. I asked someone which radio frequency he had for his long distance quad, and he mumbled about what does it matter and blocked me. I would note, fixing a commercial quad and a hobby quad are very different. I know exactly what each piece does in a hobby quad, but commercial quads have things tucked away in molded plastic. There's not always schematics either. Even if there were instructions, sometimes I don't want to dive into a hobby that deep. Nothing wrong with that. I can replace the screen on my iphone, but the guy that does 100's of them can do it in 10 minutes with better quality. Drone repair sounds like small business opportunity for someone.

I can also confirm with BJZ that 3dPrinting is still very hobbyist. Every Xmas the subreddits are flooded with people expecting it to work like their HP laserjet. Next to my motorcycle, my 3d printer gets wrenched on the most... It's not even that bad, but it all takes time. For this reason, never buy a used 3dprinter...or quad.

For Lagduf and your sister, I would warn that most international tourist locations have a very strict no Drone policy. It's posted everywhere. You can thank the *****ese tourists for that one. That's been the case for the last 4-5 years tho. Bad behavior by others have ruined it for people that just want nice photography.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You’re right that it’s not gatekeeping - what it is is you attacking people based on your perception of how a thing ought to be used and your own (admitted) inability to understand how a person could enjoy something else other than you.

Live and let live.

I have no problem with “gate keeping”

🙄

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hah. I only build quads on occasion now. Mostly when I see something new, and mostly small ones. I 3D printed the NanoLongQuad for a build recently. I liked the idea of a quad built around a battery for longevity.

The commercial options are soo damn good now. The flight controllers handle everything. Unfortunately I couldn't comment on the feature comparison among Parrot, DJI, and others. I'm probably most impressed with the new wave of auto-follow quads.

Yes and it was this fact which drew my interest in the first place. Even for someone who had never before flown a drone before I was just floored with this tech. It is literally incredible and sign of times to come regarding future technology.

It was like playing a video game, almost. Except I’ve played games with worse flight controls.

That was sort of the point of my bumping this thread.

For Lagduf and your sister, I would warn that most international tourist locations have a very strict no Drone policy. It's posted everywhere. You can thank the *****ese tourists for that one. That's been the case for the last 4-5 years tho. Bad behavior by others have ruined it for people that just want nice photography.

That’s a shame. I know she will research the relevant laws but she’ll basically be in the bush in Kenya with some of her native friends. I don’t even think they even have le enforcement out there.

But as you say “nice photography” is the point of any drones i would be interested in.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I am thinking of getting a drone since I am at a much less densely populated area and I want to get some aerial shots of the surrounding area. I am half serious as I don't want to use it a few times and shelf it either. I do like youtubers (especially real estate and cars) that incorporate drone footage.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Last year two dams broke and flooded my home county. Pro media coverage was bullshit to nonexistent so I was very grateful some kid drove up there with his drone and took some amazing video of what the damage looked like. For the most part though when I see a drone I have the urge to blow it out of the sky with my paintball gun. One bullshit brat hobby deserves another. The only thing more annoying than drones are men wearing flipflops and those goddamn scooters you rent for $1 and then, apparently, dump in the gutter.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey Duf, fuck you for bumping this nearly 6 year old thread