anyone here work alot of overtime?

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i worked 11 hours a day monday through thursday for 4 months last year and normal 8 hour fridays, but this year i didnt do anything until now.

i wonder if there are very many industries these days that have an ample amount of overtime.

also if you work overtime how do you keep from going insanely bored?

Last edited:

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
My workdays start around 9:00 and usually end around the same time in the evening. My schedule is basically 9:00 until when ever the shit that needs to be done gets done.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
My workdays start around 9:00 and usually end around the same time in the evening. My schedule is basically 9:00 until when ever the shit that needs to be done gets done.

Same, only I start at 7AM daily (to be online for our east coast team) and normally work until 9 to 10 at night. On one hand, there is a shit ton to do. On the other, I'm a workaholic and that's just what I do. I'm salaried, so I don't get overtime, but people do notice and I get compensated for it in either bonuses or nice salary bumps at review time. Still, even my boss... and my boss's boss... tell me I should take it easy. That's the biggest thing I'm working on this coming year. Seems stupid, I know, but I've always been happy working a fuck-ton.

Last edited:

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
im hourly. but my work is very basic once you get the hang of it. So overtime is just a matter of becoming tired mentally, not physically. we are allowed to listen to music or radio at work so we do that and i listen to coast to coast am.

when i first started though we got 12 hour days, i dont think itll be past 10 anymore as no one wants to be forced into a second 30 minute lunch and we arent allowed to waive it

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
When I was a cable contractor I was lucky to work less than 60 hours a week. It was hard work but it paid pretty well.

I used to work 45-50 at my current job, but after a few years I got them to give me the equivalent wage for that amount of hours as salary for only working 40 hours a week. I'm much happier with the free time.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Same, only I start at 7AM daily (to be online for our east coast team) and normally work until 9 to 10 at night. On one hand, there is a shit ton to do. On the other, I'm a workaholic and that's just what I do. I'm salaried, so I don't get overtime, but people do notice and I get compensated for it in either bonuses or nice salary bumps at review time. Still, even my boss... and my boss's boss... tell me I should take it easy. That's the biggest thing I'm working on this coming year. Seems stupid, I know, but I've always been happy working a fuck-ton.

I'm envious, I don't mind working the hours I do, but I work a trade where I am usually driving place to place fixing things. The labor can get quite tedious at times and is not helping my already shitty joints. Also I'm rarely compensated for my extra time, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i actually make in 40 hours what i did in 60.But i want to get into a nice house within a few years with a big down payment, so i started the overtime again recently. houses are expensive out here.

When I was a cable contractor I was lucky to work less than 60 hours a week. It was hard work but it paid pretty well.

I used to work 45-50 at my current job, but after a few years I got them to give me the equivalent wage for that amount of hours as salary for only working 40 hours a week. I'm much happier with the free time.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
At my job we aren't allowed to get overtime so we have to cut if we go over. Not sure if I'd go all out if we were allowed it though. My time is pretty valuable, even though I usually don't do much that's constructive with it

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Overtime at my job is strictly optional. I usually try to work 45-50 hours a week, those extra hours at my pay really add up fast. Otherwise I just chill some weeks and just work 40-42.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
6 to 6 Mondays to Thursdays
6 to 4:15 on Fridays
6 to 12 on Saturdays

some weekdays they ask us to stay till 8 or 10...

So yeah, lots of overtime.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
i actually make in 40 hours what i did in 60.But i want to get into a nice house within a few years with a big down payment, so i started the overtime again recently. houses are expensive out here.

You're lucky, though. Pasadena has some bargains if you look around, and I absolutely love-love it out there. I lived in Old Town for over three years, and I still miss it. I may find myself buying something out there one of these days as well.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
You're lucky, though. Pasadena has some bargains if you look around, and I absolutely love-love it out there. I lived in Old Town for over three years, and I still miss it. I may find myself buying something out there one of these days as well.

i work all the way in downey/bellflower. but i cant see myself ever living out there. pasadena is close to everything. i prefer south or east pasadena. above the 210 has always been a little sketchy, but it seems lately that the area that seems more than a little off has expanded.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Overtime on Sundays 4 hours double pay no need to bust my balls on the week day.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member

I've been in the cable biz in one form or another for ten years now and yeah dude 60 minimum. There's been busy weeks where i left my house at 6am and got home at 10 pm 7 days in a row. Crazy fucking job.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I've been in the cable biz in one form or another for ten years now and yeah dude 60 minimum. There's been busy weeks where i left my house at 6am and got home at 10 pm 7 days in a row. Crazy fucking job.

Yep. I did that for several years, then I took a job as a sysadmin. I took a decent pay cut to begin with, but after a few years I'm making the same money (if not more) in 40 hour weeks. I feel bad for anyone working in cable with a wife and kid(s), I don't get how they have any time for their families.

Zorro, best of luck with the house buying venture. It's about that time I look into doing that myself.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i average a 10 hour day with a couple of scattered hours over the weekend on email and catching up on paperwork. sadly salary here too. at least its a decent check at payday.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I work in the Aerospace industry. I just got the job in June and I found out that they were behind schedule not long after I got there and now we're on 12 hour shifts. Our regular day is 9 hours Monday-Friday with every other Friday off. Weekends and off-Fridays all count as overtime. We work 12 days on 2 days off so all I know is OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME. At first it was cool cuz I was broke but now I'm caught up on bills for the most part and it's killing me. I had a daughter on the 4th of July and I barely get to spend time with her.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
i worked 11 hours a day monday through thursday for 4 months last year and normal 8 hour fridays, but this year i didnt do anything until now.

i wonder if there are very many industries these days that have an ample amount of overtime.

also if you work overtime how do you keep from going insanely bored?

What are you working in, the auto industry?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i am assuming you mean paid overtime?
I usually work very long evenings, but that is the way it is. Stuff needs to get done, and I want to do it

With the current US job market, you need to prove you are worth something. At the same time, employers are low balling like crazy.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The part's plant where My GF's brother works is going full bore. All the OT you want. 11 hours a day, 7 days a week if you want.

Neogeomaniac67

New Challenger
My job has mandatory OT. I work 7 days every week and usually 12-16 hour days. Have been working these hours for the last 8 years. The only days we get off are holidays and vacation time. Gets old but the money is nice.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
In my field, OT is there due to projects and the needs of the business. Also, I get on call pay for issues outside normal business hours. Sunday issues tack on an additional 35% per OT hour. Night work comes with 15% on top of hour.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Ot varies in my field of work. Overtime is time and a half and Sunday's are double time. During the summer work picks up and you are required to work at least 15 hours of OT. If you don't have your hours by friday night they could force you in on the weekend. In the winter time they require you to work 10 hours ot. They kind of go into budget mode and keep track of how much ot you work in the winter. Alot of Sunday ot requests are denied in the winter. When I first started working for my company it really pissed me off being forced to work on the weekends but now with a kid and mortgage It doesn't hurt to put in a few extra hours here and there.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I work a lot of overtime at the psychiatric community I work at. Lots of shifts are open due to underemployment, so why not get paid more? plus they offer some pretty good holiday pay, but it does get pretty irritating working with psychiatric patients 10 hours a day for 8 days straight. makes me appreciate my days off (and my paycheck) so much more