Anyone tried botox for migraines?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
My doctor mentioned that it might be worth a shot since I've had migraine headaches pretty often for a long time (I've gone through lots of different meds for them).

Anyone tried it? I'm tempted, but it's not cheap and usually isn't covered by insurance.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Haven't tried it, but I remember reading an article in Time magazine earlier in the year about the many new uses that the medical industry is finding for Botox, and migraines were one of things discussed, so, it seems legit.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Have you been scanned? My Mom had chronic migraines, so the doctor suggested going in for a (cat?)scan to find that there was a cyst on her brain, which they were able to dissolve with a very specific medication. Within a week, my Mom was out of the hospital and hasn't had a migraine since.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I've had several CT scans. Most recent was maybe three or five years ago or so, I think. Never showed anything abnormal. I would love to have something identifiable (and fixable, like that cyst was) show up. Solve the migraines for good would be awesome.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Have you been scanned? My Mom had chronic migraines, so the doctor suggested going in for a (cat?)scan to find that there was a cyst on her brain, which they were able to dissolve with a very specific medication. Within a week, my Mom was out of the hospital and hasn't had a migraine since.

Mine gets extremely bad migraines to the point where she starts throwing up so much that she has to go to the hospital for IV hydration. She went to a bunch of doctors and scans. The only thing that helps is this thing that looks like an epi pen. When you feel a migraine coming, you inject with it and about 75% of the time it'll kill the migraine. They're one time use though, and insurance typically only pays for 12 per year or so, and buying them yourself they're like a million dollars each, obviously, because America. So you have to choose your battles.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
you know the difference between a migraine and a headache?.......gender
--NeoSneth

In all seriousness, i have also considered botox for headaches, but mine are mostly tension headaches. I can go to bed with a headache, and wake up with the same one in place. Botox is more suited for those kind of headaches. Some "migraines" are caused by vascular issues. Botox has a low chance of having an impact there.

Marek

Banned
So where do they inject you? Right into your skull?

Lol you're never going to have scalp wrinkles again

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object

I was told there was a tumor on my brain when they did a MRI of my head when I first started getting migraines. I thankfully don't get nearly as many as I used to. I am able to push through about 90% of them anymore with just temporary visual disturbances and then just take some Excedrin.

I haven't been tested in quite a while since they've gotten better, but wonder if they could have tried something like this with mine.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
if you have good insurance, get scans. and get them again later on.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Pour the pig botulism on your brain.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I used to get migraines a lot but it turned out I was just dehydrated most of the time. After drinking at least two things of water every day, that issue went away. I haven't had a migraine now maybe in 15 years.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I get cluster headaches every 2 or 3 years for couple weeks straight every day...man they are hell, but even with that i dont think i want to inject shit into my head/face area...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I used to get migraines a lot but it turned out I was just dehydrated most of the time. After drinking at least two things of water every day, that issue went away. I haven't had a migraine now maybe in 15 years.

It seems like that's what ends up happening for a decent number of people; one factor is causing the problem and if that's fixed they go away. Hard to nail it down sometimes though. I've tried cutting out caffeine, alcohol, etc, no luck. Oh and I've tried drinking lots more water too.

I checked and my insurance will cover the injections if my dr says they're necessary, and she's already done that, so I got a consult scheduled. Nothing else has worked, would be nice to try a new approach.