Aquarium fishy

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
2. Great way to fuck up the glass. Use a dedicated sponge instead, something like a filter sponge. Don't want to get your hands wet and keeping fishes at the same time? Better buy a dog. Always wash your hands before coming in contact with the aquarium water.
3. Most of them don't have a clue. Don't bother asking people working for a big chain store, do your own research.
5. Depends on the breed. Most cyprinidae are hardy and can take it. Depending on the breed, most poeciliidae are also hardy enough. There's nothing stopping you from using a mix of cold and warm water to prevent it from being too cold/warm.. Personally, I use about ten liters of filtered water (to prevent algea growth because our water has a high amount of silicates in it) and normal tap water, I usually change about 1/4 of the water.
6. It's better to put the fish with the store water into a bucket, then slowly add aquarium water to it during the next half an hour or so, then use a net to add the fish to the tank, never put that dirty ass store water into your own tank.

I never had problems with my PH value, I don't know what you're doing wrong. Decorations (don't buy any of that tacky shit, like a shipwreck or other trash, they look shitty, are possibly painted with lead paints and the fish don't care anyway) are cheap: add some stones, some wood and buy some plants. Don't buy colored sand either, use natural white ones. If you aren't completely incompetent, you'll only have to buy plants once. You don't need chemicals or "cleaning supplies" (whatever that means, never use any sort of household cleaners to clean anything in your tank) either. Only the beginning is expensive, after that the costs are more than resonable. I'd recommend buying some fertilizer though.

Lots of great advice here.

The filter that cane with your bundle uses dedicated cartridges, which is how they try to make money off you. I use an Aquaclear HOB filter and even though they sell packaged media, I buy a big piece of filter sponge at a pond shop and cut that to size.

I have hard water, so I use API tap water conditioner and stresscoat. A bottle of each easily last over a year. These are great products and if you get to know your local aquarium/petshop owner, they might sell it to you for $5 for a bottle refill. Shops buy the product in bulk.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Never bought new sponges for my current aquarium. Been running six years now. From my experience it's just not needed to completely switch them out, only clean them in some aquarium water (to prevent excessive loss of beneficial bacteria) once the flow noticeably decreases.

We got fairly hard water with a PH value around 7.5, but I keep mostly livebearers, so it's fine.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I remember when my cousin was at his I’m-16-and-hate-my dad stage. His dad had one of these fish tanks he loved so to get back at him one day he squirted a bottle of dish detergent in the tank...:lolz:

Your cousin probably fucked a kangaroo

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Never bought new sponges for my current aquarium. Been running six years now. From my experience it's just not needed to completely switch them out, only clean them in some aquarium water (to prevent excessive loss of beneficial bacteria) once the flow noticeably decreases.

We got fairly hard water with a PH value around 7.5, but I keep mostly livebearers, so it's fine.

The only reason I switch the sponge out is because I buy it for so cheap. I get a square yard of filter sponge for $10, at a local pond shop, so I can that down to 30-40 sponges for my filters. I usually have two sponges in the filter and remove the lower one and put a new one on top.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Not sure what happen to fishboy shroom but here is the update to aquarium we bought. Its been half a year and no fish died yet and the grass is alive and growing.

We went cheap on the fishes just in case they die but so far they are healthy and lively.

1 betta fish
6 albino cory (these guys are fun to watch)
8 neon tetra

Also just bought a pleco and 3 snails. These guys cleaned up the aquarium nicely. All the green algae is now gone. We will probably add one more type of fishes and increase the albino cory & tetras.

179849215_2863807463844233_7381966246401676453_n.jpg
182628915_1688007294730204_1585857933913341053_n.jpg

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Pretty cool setup, HDRChampion. I've never seen grass growing underwater in an aquarium before and that's mighty neat. Is it a special kind of grass, or just normal lawn stuff? I've seen grass growing underwater in flooded fields out in the forests where I live though.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Pretty cool setup, HDRChampion. I've never seen grass growing underwater in an aquarium before and that's mighty neat. Is it a special kind of grass, or just normal lawn stuff? I've seen grass growing underwater in flooded fields out in the forests where I live though.
i think it was called dwarf hairgrass or something like that....It took about 3 weeks to start growing. I think i should have to used another pack of seeds to really fill up the aquarium.

Probably going to start adding some plants next. I bought japanese moss balls for the bonsai tree but thinking of just having them as decoration pets too. I heard they can live for over hundred years.