Arcade1up better than real cabs?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I have nothing against the arcade 1up cabs, but, and I know this is gonna sound autistic, to me an arcade cab should have a warm phosphor glow emanating from a CRT screen. Otherwise it’s not an arcade cab. I don’t care how people spend their money, and I guess it’s cool if kids get to see sort-of what arcades were like, but personally I have no interest.

It's not autistic to prefer mom's homemade spaghetti to a restaurant's. We understand.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I have nothing against the arcade 1up cabs, but, and I know this is gonna sound autistic, to me an arcade cab should have a warm phosphor glow emanating from a CRT screen. Otherwise it’s not an arcade cab. I don’t care how people spend their money, and I guess it’s cool if kids get to see sort-of what arcades were like, but personally I have no interest.

To anyone who's not into the hobby we sound as autistic as stamp collectors, with or without arcade cab monitor preferences.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I read you loud and clear. I prefer my candy, but didnt want to gut it to make a mame cab, or spend however long/much is needed for a proper PC set up.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I recently picked up a pair of them (one vert, one horiz) for $100 each. If they don't go in my garage sale, I'll probably do something with them. The game selection is meh.

Maybe put a 60-1 in the vert for my family.
Take the Horizontal and do a two player, 3 button CP for my 4 year old nephew. Put games on there the he would be into (Megaman Power Fighters, TMNT, captain america/avengers, Metal Slug, X Men, King of the Monsters, Prehistoric Isle 2, Dungeons and Dragons, Space Harrier, etc.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'd like a vertical one so I can make it a permanent TATE cab. Nice score!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah I like my marvel super heroes one. I modded it ages ago. Haven't turned it on for a while because I've been busy working on another RetroPi project for consoles.

Was trying to set up Jaguar for it (never played a Jag before) and apparently no one gives enough of a shit to get it running well on a Pi. Ah well.

Back OT, it doesn't feel like a real cab, swapping carts/boards, etc. But it's nice to turn on, play some random arcade games and then get back to life at hand.

That's a lot of work for such little payout. The Jag is a miserable system...and you'll need to rig some kind of controller to emulate those shitty lower 12 buttons. For games like Alien v Predator,you're going to need them.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

For everyone agreeing with this are you an 80's cabinet collector, or does this pertain to all cabinets?

The reason why I ask is when it comes to the late 80's and up a flat screen doesn't bother me one way or another, however games like Donkey Kong, Centipede, Missile Command, and Pole Position feel slightly off on a flat screen to me. Maybe it's the later games ended up on PSN and XBLA a lot, but I'm curious about it.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Preorders for the Golden Axe 2 cab are up on Arcade1up’s web site for $400...it’s a direct to consumer sale.

I really wanted to like this cab but they dropped the ball with game selection. Moonwalker, Shadow Dancer, Alien Storm, Eswat all should have been included. I mean if this thing had 10 classic Sega games I would totally be on board. And what the fuck is Wrestle War. Never played it but looks like shit.

I am tempted because because I do love Golden Axe...but unfortunately this will never be marked down since it’s sold direct and I can’t justify buying this just for the 2 Golden Axe games.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Isn't Revenge of Death Adder not even emulated properly? How'd they get around that?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Preorders for the Golden Axe 2 cab are up on Arcade1up’s web site for $400...it’s a direct to consumer sale.

I really wanted to like this cab but they dropped the ball with game selection. Moonwalker, Shadow Dancer, Alien Storm, Eswat all should have been included. I mean if this thing had 10 classic Sega games I would totally be on board. And what the fuck is Wrestle War. Never played it but looks like shit.

I am tempted because because I do love Golden Axe...but unfortunately this will never be marked down since it’s sold direct and I can’t justify buying this just for the 2 Golden Axe games.

I would never pay for retail for any arcade1up. I think the maximum is $150 maybe $200.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I looked at that Golden Axe cab. If someone was a huge fan of the games I could see how that would be attractive. Hell, I really like the looks of that Burgertime cab. The thing that kind of got me when looking at all their cabinets were the game selection. They seem kind of strange what games are included together on the different machines.

I think the 1up stuff is kind of a mix between a collectable and a toy. I do like the looks of some of them and am growing on the idea of little cabinets, but I always liked some of the old arcade cabarets. I kind of want to like these things but just can't seem to for whatever reason.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Ya I not going to spend $400 on this. Shame it’s not available at Walmart or Target as it’ll never get marked down on the A1Up site.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member

I agree. They needed more games added that would support the 4 player option control panel. Death Adder is the only 4 player game as the others are one or two. Wrestle War is about par to the other similar arcade wrestling games but it's only a 2 player and originally a vertical screen game.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Isn't Revenge of Death Adder not even emulated properly? How'd they get around that?

It’s not, probably still hiccups and has the same problems as MAME. Wouldn’t be surprised if if played like crap.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I know Death Adder is a decent game, but it seems like a bad move to make a cabinet based around it. I understand why (4 player), but most people who would be interested in the cabinet are probably more interested in the original Golden Axe.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
So if you're playing against others in SCRABBLE, how do you keep your letter tiles hidden from the other players?!!

Yugioh which is MTG clone-ish had a ps1 videogame with a 2P vs. duel option. They'll figure it out. :lolz:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So if you're playing against others in SCRABBLE, how do you keep your letter tiles hidden from the other players?!!

You think that’s bad. What about Battleship, lol

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
You think that’s bad. What about Battleship, lol

I'd figure they're gonna ask players to improvise (or worse, buy) dumb add-ons like a cardboard divider, or make them use their phones to display hidden player information which would make that table pointless.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Or Stratego....or Go Fishy!

Stratego.. all you do is just take turns moving a piece and shouting, Stra! Te! Go!

Hell, just try playing Guess Who?

I've seen setups like that for gaming tables and thought they were pretty cool for doing stuff line Dungeon's & Dragons, where the map reveals as the characters move along it. As for playing board games.. I want to see it play Arkham Horror with all the expansions!

Also, because of this thread I got sucked into looking into those silly cabinets more and am shocked at the amount of after market upgrades, and conversion parts made for them.

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So looks like there will be an Outrun cab in the near future. A lot of folks were speculating about that so not a huge shocker I suppose. Curious to see how this comes out and what games are included.