Arcadia #35 scans - Matrimelee

elbarto

Super Spy Agent
As usual, scans are quite large for maximum clarity. (files approx 250k each)

<a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_1.jpg" target="_blank">Full page advert for Matrimelee</a> (different from last months ad)

Matrimelee feature:
<a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_2.jpg" target="_blank">Page 1</a>
<a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_3.jpg" target="_blank">Page 2</a>
<a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_4.jpg" target="_blank">Page 3</a>
<a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_5.jpg" target="_blank">Page 4</a>

Mainly movelists this month, and a "which character are you?" quiz thingy.

Hadn't realised Princess Kurara's name is actually Clara.. you learn something new every day.. :)

<small>[ March 15, 2003, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: elbarto ]</small>

gozu+mezu

Morden's Lackey
AWESOME!!! this game rocks a lot look at all those stylish DMs, POOCHI-KANJI-OUME-OTANE TRANSFORMATION DM (GRIZZLY POWA). ORROF design really ass, it's like a fusion of JONES, SAMUEL L. JACKSON (in PULP FICTION), and a red dragons guy (from COWBOY BEBOP). All new characters rocks a lot, and the old one are really awesome (i really love KEITH new bad ass design).Stages seems really original and cool, and there is KURORO on background (Can KURORO be a secret character?).

NEW POWA INSTINCT really kick ass

Thanks a lot ELBARTO

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Everything I've seen so far looks good, especially the new characters, but I've yet to see anything that describes the one area I care most about, GAMEPLAY!

The game looks good, I get it, but I'm not plunking down $300+ until I see how it looks in action.

Excuse my rant, I'm just tired of not knowing whether I should be excited about this game or not.

But thanks for the scans Bart, they're really nice.

<small>[ March 15, 2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I been saying it from the beggining....and i will say it again this game is going to rock all!!

Just because its PI!!

Brad

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Man... it feels good to be getting excited again.

Although, like Average Joe, I just really want to see it in action.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
wow

motw = CRAP

matrimelee = GREAT

THANKS playmore & sun & brezza & noise !!!!

the neo LIVES on !!!

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Elbarto: buttrock drool_2 Thanks for getting the mag, scanning, and putting the pics for us to drool over!

Fran: oh_no After countless hours of MOTW vs. play, you make no sense to me. Ahh well, at least you're right about KOF98... :p

Peace

JHendrix

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
JHendrix:
Elbarto: buttrock drool_2 Thanks for getting the mag, scanning, and putting the pics for us to drool over!

Fran: oh_no After countless hours of MOTW vs. play, you make no sense to me. Ahh well, at least you're right about KOF98... :p

Peace

JHendrix
i suppose
you must be too busy with zelda
to realize
i was being sarcastic
as always
always misunderstood
because
what else can i do
this place is full of dickheads

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Thanks a million for the scans. This game looks real good so far. I hope it ain't as broken as Rage of the Dragons though.

<small>[ March 15, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
Cool - Looking good, thanks for posting the pics.

Any chance of close-ups of some of the new screenshots?

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
JHendrix:

Peace

JHendrix
Don't u know whatever fran says he means the opposite except when it comes to KOF98 and Mai...They are the only exceptions. :cool:

<small>[ March 15, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: NeoDragoN ]</small>

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
NeoDragoN:
Don't u know whatever fran says he means opposite except when it comes to KOF98 and Mai...They are the only exceptions. :cool:
PERIOD buttrock

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
NeoDragoN:
JHendrix:

Peace

JHendrix
Don't u know whatever fran says he means the opposite except when it comes to KOF98 and Mai...They are the only exceptions. :cool:
you,intelligent sir,are right :p

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
but the thing is:

i had faith in 2001
had faith in slug 4
rotd
and 2002

and well...

still have some left for matrimelee

not much,eh

lets just say there is a chance
that this game will be above average

and i consider average a game like WHP

how come?

because its power instinct after all

even without angela belti...

and because i hope the home cart will come with a nice colorful spine

a nice spine:
thats all there is to them playmore games

a reminder:

kof 2002 : 39800 Y
bio hazard rebirth : 5800 Y

the neo lives on,REMEMBER

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Thanks much for the scans, elbarto! Some interesting new info in this article, and in the site update Noise Factory made earlier in the week.

For one thing, Kurara is 14 years old in this game (not 13, as the previous Arcadia scans seemed to indicate). This means that NF is in fact moving the series forward, chronologically, as well as introducing a new plotline (the Princess Sissy event(s)) to the Gouketsuji Ichizoku saga.

I'm noticing some variations in the presentation of Olof Linderoth's official illustration. The most noticeable difference is the color of his suit. In <a href="http://www.noise.co.jp/gouketuji/image/oroff.GIF" target="_blank">the image on NF's website</a> and in <a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_2.JPG" target="_blank">the image on elbarto's 2nd scan</a>, Olof's suit is maroon or brick red. But in the illustration collage used in the advertisement shown in <a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_1.JPG" target="_blank">elbarto's 1st scan</a> (and used in 1 or 2 other adverts and fliers we've seen in the last few weeks), his suit is white. A less obvious difference, however, is Olof's sunglasses. In the maroon-suit images, his sunglasses look fairly normal. But, if you look closely at the white-suit image, you'll notice that the stems of the sunglasses (from the edges of the lenses to Olof's ears) are missing, and that the bridge across the nose is much thicker -- making them look less like sunglasses and more like a beaked domino mask (somewhat reminiscient of the ones worn by DC Comics' Nightwing or Green Lantern Hal Jordan).

Thankfully, Arcadia has provided furigana for the kanji in the new characters' names. It's nice to see that I was reading Hikaru's surname correctly (it's "Joumon"), but apparently the surname of Shintarou and his brother is "Kuno," not "Kunohe" as I had interpreted it. While we're on the subject of Shintarou's brother, I'd been pronouncing his first name as "Montarou," based on the spelling used in NF's website (http://www.noise.co.jp/gouketuji/c13_montaro.htm). Arcadia's furigana, however, indicate that his name is pronounced "Buntarou." Looking back at NF's website, the filename of his illustration (http://www.noise.co.jp/gouketuji/image/buntarou.GIF) supports Arcadia's furigana. So, at this point, it appears that the Kuno brothers' names are Shintarou and Buntarou.

elbarto:
Hadn't realised Princess Kurara's name is actually Clara.. you learn something new every day.. :)
While we're on the subject of names, I still believe that "Clara" is an erroneous spelling. Her name, when rendered in English in her previous Atlus appearances, has always been Kurara. NF's website has both her page and her illustration files named as "clala." Her name in the opening animation of SGI/NPI is spelled "Clara," but several other character names are misspelled in this opening (Annie, Thin Nen, Oume, & Otane -- spelled "Anny," "Chinnen," "Ume," and "Tane"). Oftentimes during development of fighting games, the programmers misspell character names (especially beneath life gauges) during the design and testing phases (remember Mai's name spelled as "May" in the early screenshots of KOF EX2?). Eventually, these typos are fixed just prior to a game's release. I'm still of the opinion that "Clara" is just another example of this sort of error, and that Kurara's name (and the other aforementioned 4 characters' names) will be corrected for the final release. At least, I hope so.

Looking at the screenshots of Olof and Shintarou <a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_2.JPG" target="_blank">in elbarto's 2nd scan</a>, it appears that the fatty rockband's rear-projection screen does have at least one other phrase besides DEBU (Japanese for chubby; tubby; fatass). The kanji phrase appears to be "hyakkan" (百貫). A "kan" is an old Japanese unit of weight measurement, equal to about 8.33 pounds. Hyakkan -- or 100-kan -- would be about 833.33 pounds. SFII fans will remember this word from E. Honda's so-called "flying butt smash" technique from SFII' Turbo, "Super Hyakkan'otoshi" [Super 100-kan Drop].

The caption on the first Olof screenshot indicates that this is a projectile attack, while the first Shintarou screenshot is identified as his "Zudadada Kiick" (F-D-DF + Kick). The 2 Hikaru screenshots depict her "Chronograph" and Ippatsu Ougi techniques. Sadly, while the technique charts provided by Arcadia do list at least one technique for each character not found on the location test movelists, they still don't provide the names of each charater's Stress Shoot and Ippatsu Ougi techniques (the Level 1 and Level 2 "super combo" techniques). They do, however, indicate that some characters will have more than one Stress Shoot. Buntarou's first screenshot depicts his "Gekisoku! Slider!" technique, while the second gives us a nice shot of a Kuroko in the background.

Moving on to <a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_3.JPG" target="_blank">the third page of elbarto's scans</a>, the screenshots of Pochi/Poochy and Kanji depict each character's Stress Shoot (Pochi/Poochy calls forth Kintarou's giant bear attack, "Totsugeki Caesar," from GI2/PI2, while Kanji brandishes a short sword). In Oume's screenshot, she appears to produce a large mirror, as a ghostly purple image of herself grapples her opponent and sucks away at his face. According to the caption, this is her Ippatsu Ougi, and it causes life drained from its target to be transferred to Oume's life gauge. The caption for Otane's screenshot indicates that this image of the young Otane is not part of a transformation, but rather a victory pose graphic. However, the technique charts for both Oume and Otane list an extra item just below their Stress Shoot and Ippatsu Ougi (normally these are the last 2 items on each character's chart). This extra item is called "kinjite" (roughly translated, this would be a "forbidden technique") -- I believe this is a classifier (like Stress Shoot and Ippatsu Ougi), rather than a proper technique name. Given that Oume and Otane's "kinjite" occupies the last line of their technique charts, I wonder if performing "kinjite" will, like an Ippatsu Ougi, require 2 (or even 3) levels of the Stress Meter. Note also that, while Otane's "kinjite" command is QCFx2 + C, Oume's is QCFx3 + C. Given the above-average complexity of the lever-command, and the possibility that it will require Stress Meter levels, I wonder if "kinjite" might not turn out to be the technique to allow Oume and Otane to transform into their younger selves. Up to this point, we've seen absolutely no indication that transformations / alternate forms exist in SGI/NPI, but I've been desperately holding out hope that NF wouldn't leave them out (they were one of the unique, defining elements of GI/PI, ever since the series' first installment). Another nice look at Kuroko in that last screenshot, btw.

<a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_4.JPG" target="_blank">The 4th page of elbarto's scans</a> has some more nice stuff. Annie's screenshot, according to the caption, depicts her "Cosmic Throw" (her Ippatsu Ougi from GI2/PI2). Her technique chart seems to indicate that it is now her Stress Shoot technique (executed as a Command Throw -- the caption indicates that it, naturally, cannot be countered with a Guard). Keith's screenshot depicts his "Knuckle Bomber" technique, while White Buffalo's shows him calling forth a pillar of fire in the shape of a huge totem pole (this appears to be either his as-yet-to-be-named Stress Shoot or Ippatsu Ougi). This totem pole reminds me of Angela Belti's "Thunder Wall" technique, and suddenly I'm bitter all over again about her absence in SGI/NPI. Kurara's screenshot depicts one of her costume-change victory poses, while Reiji's shows his Stress Shoot. This appears to be similar to his "Ryuuki Shouenzan" Ippatsu Ougi from GI2/PI2, in which he launched his "Gekishou Hadouha" projectile, followed by a rapid sequence of punches & kicks, concluded by his "Ryuuenshou" leaping uppercut. His technique chart gives the command for his Stress Shoot as "HCB,F + C, then F-D-DF + C" -- leaving me with the impression that the projectile / rapid attack sequence is activated by the HCB,F + C, with the uppercut being manually input at the end with the F-D-DF + C. The last screenshot depicts Saizou's Ippatsu Ougi -- a "shadow copy" of Saizou emerges from the shadows beneath his opponent to attack him. Arcadia, commenting on how ninja-esque this is, says "Kore zo Shinobism!" [This is Shinobi-ism!] (a parody of SFZero's Guy -- "Kore zo Bushinryuu!" [This is Bushin-Style!]).

<a href="http://elbarto.netmag.easyspace.com/arcadia35_5.JPG" target="_blank">The 5th page</a> indicates that certain characters Hissatsuwaza (aka, "special moves") will be slightly altered if performed mid-Dash (the example screenshot depicts Reiji's mid-Dash "Ryuuenshou" uppercut). While the 'personality quiz' on this page is entertaining, I wish NF would publish an updated Gouketsuji family tree already.

Thanks again for the post, elbarto!

--Chris

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Fran:
but the thing is:

i had faith in 2001
had faith in slug 4
rotd
and 2002

and well...

still have some left for matrimelee

not much,eh

lets just say there is a chance
that this game will be above average

and i consider average a game like WHP

how come?

because its power instinct after all

even without angela belti...

and because i hope the home cart will come with a nice colorful spine

a nice spine:
thats all there is to them playmore games

a reminder:

kof 2002 : 39800 Y

the neo lives on,REMEMBER
I never expected SNK quality in any of the releases after SNK's Demise......and i did'nt get it i guess thats why i kinda like ROTD and think 2K2 is good.....i have never had high hopes for the playmore/mega/evoga games just for the simple fact they are'nt SNK......but this game is Power Instinct......and PI has never had the best animation, therefore i don't expect it in this game......yeah i hope its animates nice, but i expect it not to.....PI has always just fallen back on its kickass backgrounds, awesome music, and all round stupid ness.....this is why i still play PI2.....shame about Angela....gotta love that whip.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Wow!..Thanks for posting the pics.
Awesome looking game.. drool

Retaliator

Armored Scrum Object
"kof 2002 : 39800 Y
"

That is ... not fair ... but true in fact.

The art in BHR is far far superior than that in `02 although in the long run you maybe have more fun with `02.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Fran:
JHendrix:

Peace

JHendrix
i suppose
you must be too busy with zelda
to realize
i was being sarcastic
as always
always misunderstood
because
what else can i do
this place is full of dickheads
You know, say one thing and mean another. If I didn't know better I'd say you were a chick. :p

BTW, I haven't been buisy w/ Zelda, only thing that I've touched this week besides the Neo has been Operation Flashpoint on PC. Besides whats with the Resident Evil love? I thought you didn't play games outside the Neo anymore... :p

Peace

JHendrix

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
Daaaaaammnnnnn, the game looks phenomenal. It's lookin better and better.

The characters look pretty sweet and more interesting than in RotD. The Native American is cool as well the monk and karate guy. And I'm curious about the guy in the green; he seems he has a goofy characteristic like Shingo. And btw, the girl in the red hood has one of the best asses I've ever seen :D

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Retaliator:
"kof 2002 : 39800 Y
"

That is ... not fair ... but true in fact.

The art in BHR is far far superior than that in `02 although in the long run you maybe have more fun with `02.
what i wanted to say was :

rebirth is a remake

its still bh 1,sure,but 40 % of the game is new

and the old stuff is basically redone from scratch

and its one of the most amazing games i have ever played

price : 5800

kof 2002 is a "new" kof with only O N E new sprite ( athena )

and its worse than 2001 in oh so many ways

price : 39800

funny eh?

playmore should use the loot to hire the old snk programmers / artists

they only seem to care about converted carts and fan made inserts

idiots