Are there bootleg Cowboy Bebop DVD sets floating around now?

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
The price spiked after Bandai's U.S. branch was dissolved, and the sets were running over a hundred bucks. Then they dropped to eighty or so, and now down to fifty and sometimes cheaper. I ordered a set through an Amazon seller, but without even opening the plastic wrap, it looks wrong. Insert looks like the wrong paper, badly cut, and the colors and inks seem wrong.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
there probably is. how much do you care about pirates/like your dvd player?

edit: I think it being region free instead of ntsc would suggest a bootleg that could mess up your player, even if it 'works'.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
What the fuck? Glad I only paid around 30€-ish for the Region 1 remix set some time ago.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Didn't know this had become such a hot item. I see them at the store all the time for the price Panda linked to.

A few years back, I got a copy signed by Toshihiro Kawamoto, the show's character designer.

Still my favorite anime to date, I just wish there would have been a bluray re-release/remaster at some point. At least Michiko to Hatchin finally came out on bluray 2 weeks ago after waiting 3 years for localization; the Bebop spirit lives on in that show.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I've got the original release in the giant black box the year it came out. Only place I saw it wanted 85 bucks for it, thankfully it was after Christmas and I had a 50 dollar gift card to the mall so I snagged it. It even came with a CD with MOST of the songs from the show, not all of them. I know they came out with a remastered version but that was years ago and before Bandai closed up shop.

Bebop and Sailor Moon are the two series I'm glad to have on DVD when I look up the insane prices. I thought the quality of the first season of Sailor Moon was horrible and I see official sets go for double of what I paid. I'm glad I got the final season (Sailor Stars) from a FanSubber in Canada that burned his own DVD's from the original Japanese Laserdiscs so the quality is really good compared to the shitty Chinese knockoffs I've seen online.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
if you're actually considering buying a "bootleg", why not just download the set for free off of a torrent site? it's piracy either way.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
if you're actually considering buying a "bootleg", why not just download the set for free off of a torrent site? it's piracy either way.

Do you actually buy stuff sometimes or do you really pirate everything?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Didn't know this had become such a hot item. I see them at the store all the time for the price Panda linked to.

A few years back, I got a copy signed by Toshihiro Kawamoto, the show's character designer.

Still my favorite anime to date, I just wish there would have been a bluray re-release/remaster at some point. At least Michiko to Hatchin finally came out on bluray 2 weeks ago after waiting 3 years for localization; the Bebop spirit lives on in that show.

There actually is a bluray remaster box set, it was just only released in Japan. You can import it and mux in your own English subtitles ( or even English audio ) from the US DVDs if you so desire.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I had the same problem with buying Star Trek: Deep Space Nine DVDs from a third party on Amazon.

It's why I pretty much stopped buying from third parties on there.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Did they ever do one the width of a single regular DVD case? The one I got looks kind of like they took a scan/printout of that oversized insert and jammed it into a normal DVD case cover.

Well, if you bought this then you just got yourself a fake boxset.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I got mine from best buy for 30.00$ USD and it's the whole series. I have seen a lot of boots floating around on the internet. I was unaware Bandi USA dissolved.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
There actually is a bluray remaster box set, it was just only released in Japan. You can import it and mux in your own English subtitles ( or even English audio ) from the US DVDs if you so desire.

Or wait for the US release next year

http://www.toonzone.net/2013/08/otakon-2013-funimation/#.UkXV5n8qfTp
At its industry panel late Saturday afternoon, FUNimation Entertainment brought Sunrise’s Masayuki Ozaki on stage to make further announcements on titles FUNimation will be distributing from the studio. Chief among the announcements was a trailer announcing director Shinichiro Watanabe’s Cowboy BeBop, which will be rereleased digitally and on Blu-ray in 2014. The series recently received a thorough HD remaster that was released on home video in Japan.

Additionally, other Sunrise anime were confirmed that were not previously named at Sunrise’s industry panel: Outlaw Star, The Vision of Escaflowneand its theatrical film A Girl in Gaea, My-Hime, the spinoff My Otome and its sequel OVA My Otome Zwei and prequel My Otome 0~S.ifr~

Additionally, Mamoru Hosoda’s film Wolf Children will be released as a Blu-ray / DVD combo pack on November 12th, 2013. FUNimation also confirmed that more episodes of the shonen action series Fairy Tail will be released on home video, with details still to be announced.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
This is kind of interesting. I got a set from RightStuf a year or so back, when they regularly appeared in the weekly specials dirt cheap.

I shouldn't be too surprised though. I've got a couple other sets that sell for stupid amounts now, later volumes of Maison Ikkoku, Marmalade Boy, City Hunter, etc.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This is kind of interesting. I got a set from RightStuf a year or so back, when they regularly appeared in the weekly specials dirt cheap.

I shouldn't be too surprised though. I've got a couple other sets that sell for stupid amounts now, later volumes of Maison Ikkoku, Marmalade Boy, City Hunter, etc.

City hunter is BOSS btw. If you haven't seen it yet check out the alternate universe series Glass Heart. Really cool to watch if you're familiar with Ryo and Co.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member

Maison Ikkoku is completely OOP now and since it's a really good show, it makes sense for it to go up in price. We'd have to be talking about thousands of dollars before I'd let my sets go though ;)