Artist needed for arcade cabinet marquee

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I'm nearing completion of a mini MAME cabinet and need to figure out the artwork before moving any further. I'm mainly concerned about the marquee. I need an artist that can replicate the feel of the sci-fi arcade artwork from the 80's. I want the cabinet to look like an original game from this era.

This may turn into a need for side art as well, but for now I may end up going with something simple such as colored stripes on the side.

Some marquees that stood out after a quick search are Moon Patrol, Asteroids Deluxe, and Space Duel. I also like Spy Hunter even though it isn't really space-themed, the colors, stripes, and style looks great. I also like the sci-fi stuff I've seen from Oliver Frey.

20725484452_998d962a6b.jpg

20734793365_e98975c2fa.jpg

20741745811_f3a5b49d17.jpg

20708554546_4d5d6539b8.jpg

Here are some pics of where I'm at with the project. We are building 2 cabinets from scratch with everything custom made.

20112523194_2e20a97abd_n.jpg
20725796552_edfe2fe27e_n.jpg

Let me know if there's anyone out there looking for an art project. Send me a PM so we can discuss the details and pricing.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The cabinets look nice, the button layout is not so hot, 8 buttons is awful but it's a matter of preference more than anything else. Good luck!

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
The cabinets look nice, the button layout is not so hot, 8 buttons is awful but it's a matter of preference more than anything else. Good luck!

Don't listen to this guy. The button layout is excellent. I like how you have the classic straight 3x2 for Street Fighter, the four button for Neo Geo, and enough buttons everywhere to make nearly every other layout work. You have created the intelligent gamer's layout. Perhaps I'd move the buttons all the way to the left down just a smidgen, but it's still fine exactly where it is.

I'm thinking about modding my Qanba Q4RAF with your kind of layout. I just can't play Street Fighter on it. The punches shouldn't be shifted to the right. It's irritating as hell.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Don't listen to this guy. The button layout is excellent. I like how you have the classic straight 3x2 for Street Fighter, the four button for Neo Geo, and enough buttons everywhere to make nearly every other layout work. You have created the intelligent gamer's layout. Perhaps I'd move the buttons all the way to the left down just a smidgen, but it's still fine exactly where it is.

I'm thinking about modding my Qanba Q4RAF with your kind of layout. I just can't play Street Fighter on it. The punches shouldn't be shifted to the right. It's irritating as hell.

Yeah, I'd rather have 8 than 6 and regret it when there's a need for 8. I used this exact layout for a custom fight stick: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?255271-Custom-Fight-Stick-Thread&highlight=

It is my version of the Mad Catz 8 button layout. Instead of the offset bottom row I have the top and bottom rows centered.

Back on topic, this thread is about the need for artwork. I can make a separate thread showing the build process later. Thanks for the feedback.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Don't listen to this guy...

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Back on topic, this thread is about the need for artwork. I can make a separate thread showing the build process later. Thanks for the feedback.

Please do. I'm interested. I'll contain my button layout bickering to that topic, too.