Ask me any KOF98 question (Gameplay)

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
And thou shalt receive an answer. Protect this thread from perish and derailment, and forever let the joys of KOF 98 soothe our souls. Amen.

Edit: Let's keep this to KOF 98 (NOT UM) Gameplay questions eh? This is so you guys can get better at the game, let's take advantage of it!

Last edited:

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
What do you think it is about the fighting engine that makes it so widely considered to be the best in the series?

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
The roster is just plain fun, some characters are a bit overpowered, but just a tiny bit. Nothing is gamebreaking, the few infinites are really not feasible in real play. Only a handful glitches can be effectively used in battle, and they are easily counterable. Any character can beat any other character.

Combos are not crazy enough to be considered unfair.

The speed of the game is just right, neither too fast or too slow, just right. This is not a game that you base on frames like SF3, but you could very easily use frames to your advantage, the speed of the game is just right so that you can punish your opponent in between attacks if you time it just right. Command throws have to be timed just right for them to work effectively, and this is good.

Counter CD does balanced damage, just right for the cost of one stock. Regular throws do good damage. 2 modes of play, advanced is undeniably better but if skilled enough you can wreck some havoc with extra, extra is a really fun fresh change every once in a while, spices things up a bit.

One of the few things I dislike tho, is the mood faces that affect the characters. If you don't know what I'm talking about, hold start during the character order select and you'll see the mood faces. They affect the carrying over of stocks and the assists whenever your character is being beat on by a throw or a dizzy. Can affect the outcome in high level play.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
TELL ME, where in Japan is that Japan city stage where they're under a bridge and there's cars and the Neo Geo Land in the background.

I MUST know.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
TELL ME, where in Japan is that Japan city stage where they're under a bridge and there's cars and the Neo Geo Land in the background.

I MUST know.
Hmmm, I know it's a real place, I've heard the name of it before but I can't remember. I knew this question would come up too, haha, I just knew it. One of the few q's I knew I wouldn't be able to answer

Someone else must surely know the answer! Help a brotha out!

Anyways, ask away folks, I am the kof 98 encyclopedia!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member

I MUST know.

Ask Fran, he knows.

He posted one pic of it some years ago after his japan trip as well as other important videogame buildings ( Capcom , Nintendo.. )

I used to have those photos, but I had to format my laptop drive and I am not sure they are stored in my other computer

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Why was the neo original given the sub title: "Dream Match Never Ends"?? :conf:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Any character can beat any other character.

i don't really agree with that,but who cares :)

if i remember correctly the "mood faces" are always the same when playing using the homecart

but they change on mvs

TELL ME, where in Japan is that Japan city stage where they're under a bridge and there's cars and the Neo Geo Land in the background

it's esaka,the district in osaka where the snk building and neo geo land used to be

well actually the snk / playmore building is still there

but sadly both neo geo land and the other game center located right beside the door of the snk building are gone

neo geo land shut its doors forever when i was there in january 2004

the hero / japan team fights in esaka in kof 94 and kof 95 too

many audio tracks mention "esaka",so it is not very difficult to figure it out

funky esaka - goodbye esaka - etc

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
i don't really agree with that,but who cares :)
Naw, I still stand by what I said but yea, it's easier for SOME characters to beat others. Like I said, some are a bit overpowered like Daimon for example. But it's still the most balanced kof if you ask me. It's all a matter of opinion of course.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
it's esaka,the district in osaka where the snk building and neo geo land used to be

well actually the snk / playmore building is still there

but sadly both neo geo land and the other game center located right beside the door of the snk building are gone

neo geo land shut its doors forever when i was there in january 2004

the hero / japan team fights in esaka in kof 94 and kof 95 too

many audio tracks mention "esaka",so it is not very difficult to figure it out

funky esaka - goodbye esaka - etc

Thanks,

How in the shit would I know "esaka", the name of a song in a japanese game, means a district in Japan? Smart ass.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Thanks,

How in the shit would I know "esaka", the name of a song in a japanese game, means a district in Japan? Smart ass.
Hey relax, he wasn't trying to start any shit at least from my perspective. He answered your question too. Relax, and play some 98.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
if i remember correctly the "mood faces" are always the same when playing using the homecart

technically, 99.9% on some chars.

I used to have 3 KOF98 homecarts back in the day and in every of them Ralf, Clark and Benimaru were always happy on all of the carts.

But from time to time, Benimaru used to have the neutral mood.

Also, my Takuma was always in red mood. always.
One day I picked up a O.Chris, Takuma and Terry team and I thought my cart wasn't working well... guess what ? Takuma was Yellow and Chris white.
They both were in red faces all the time.

Terry was like 50%-50%.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
japanese people rarely make sense when trying to speak english.

I thought 98 was just that a 'dream' match, so it's not part of continuity. i might be completely wrong but thats what i thought.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I thought 98 was just that a 'dream' match, so it's not part of continuity. i might be completely wrong but thats what i thought.

Duh.

Dream match never ends, doesnt really make all that much sense. Clearly the matches do end.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
1.) What do you think of Lucky Glauber both in the game and as a character design?

2.) When will UM come out for XBLA?

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
1.) What do you think of Lucky Glauber both in the game and as a character design?

2.) When will UM come out for XBLA?
Very good question!

I think Lucky is a great character, both gameplay wise and character design wise.

He has really long reach with his long arms and legs, can poke or hit you from far away easily. He can keep you at bay and confuse you with his various projectiles. You can confuse your enemy to a point where they'll be trying just to get close to you. Master the Down Down A/B/C/D moves, and it'll be real hell for your opponent. Predict where your opponent will move and keep a cascade of falling basketballs falling on him. And guess what? If your opponent comes close, you can either go ahead and do some up close fighting, or immediately get some open space again with his qcf B/D move. Down D into qcf B/D works wonders. He can hop backwards with a Back, Back, Down + A to gain some space backwards too, Kyo style (Lucky actually hops further back)

He can connect his qcf x 2 B/D DM off a C, Fwd B, and his qcf x 2 A/C DM is one of the best anti air moves in the game. Predict your opponent will jump, and have your fingers ready for a quick DM motion, see your opponent jump, or roll forward, or do something stupid, and let him have it. A nice chunk of damage, quick and easy.

Lucky is a mindgame character, and unorthodox, he has his unique fighting style. He is great and a lot of fun to use, but he is more of an intermediate character. if you're just getting into the game or you're still a newb, than stick with the Iori, Kyo, Ryo, etc characters until you start feeling more comfortable.

Character design wise, I like it. It's obviously stereotypical as hell, but that's what makes it cool. Him constantly yelling WOOOOOOOOOO! AND YEAAAAA! AHAHAHA! never ceases to make me chuckle.

Now your second question, I'm afraid I don't know it. I tried googling it quickly but couldn't find an answer. I wanted this thread to be more about the original 98 not UM ;) I guess I'll go ahead and edit the OP. :D

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Arthas:

Advantages / disadvantages of Orochi New Face Team compared to regular New Face Team.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Arthas:

Advantages / disadvantages of Orochi New Face Team compared to regular New Face Team.
Alright, sorry it took me a long time to reply to this, had been very busy lately, anyways!

One thing everybody should know is, the regular and orochi new face team have the exact same basic attacks, command moves, throws, pokes, whatever, the only things that change are the special moves themselves.

So if you learn the basic moves of one of these characters, you can apply a similar style to either the regular or orochi version of the character.

For example, a basic combo with yashiro would be, jump D, C, fwd A, hcb C, whereas a basic combo with o. yashiro would be, jump D, C, fwd A, hcb fwd C.

Only thing that changed was the special move finisher there.

I think I should throw out my personal opinion of which version is best of the 3 Orochi characters.

Yashiro - O. Yashiro is the better version
Shermie - Reg. Shermie is the better version
And Chris - Reg. Chris is the better version

Bear in mind these are my own personal opinions.

Special note on Chris tho, because both versions are incredibly strong. You won't go wrong with either version, however I'll give the slight edge to the regular Chris version. And I also believe the learning curve on the reg. Chris version is a little higher than that of the Orochi version, but once you master the character, the regular Chris version comes out on top. Regular Chris just has some crazy high and low mind games, and his teleport moves work wonders.

Now, notice O. Yashiro, and regular Shermie are the grappler versions. No surprise here as grapplers are incredibly powerful in this game. Reg. Shermie is a very complete grappler, similar somewhat to Clark. I feel O. Shermie is the weakest out of all the Orochi versions. While she is fun to use, reg Shermie is just plain better.

And finally, on to Yashiro: Reg. Yashiro is a very good character, but it pales in comparison to his godly Orochi version. I think I should note that O. Yashiro is my BEST character. Not necesarily my favorite to use, but the one I am most effective with. I wreak havoc with him, I get cursed at and yelled at all the time for my "cheap" play. It IS cheap, once you master his mindgames, he is simply a nightmare. The players best suited to fight against a pro O. Yashiro, are ones that are good with O. Yashiro themselves, and know how to counter him. I was gonna write a guide to O. Yashiro once but I got lazy and never came around to it, maybe I will do it someday. He is simply a monster.

If you have any more specific questions Topher, feel free to ask, I'll happily reply!

Last edited: