Atomiswave Media

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Hi, do any of you folks know where I can download some AW Movies and screenshots??

I am going to be buying a base unit soon, I need a good buyers guide, as I hear most of the games Royally suck!

Also, what do you guys think of demolish fist??

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
A base unit? You mean just the mobo? I'd steer clear of that as its difficult to pick up carts by themselves at the moment. Pretty much nothing is that great as of this time, even Neowave.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Well I picked up Demolish fist for a pretty reasonable £35. So I will have at lease 1 game when i get the unit, But ideally i would like GG Isuka or rumblefish.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
From eBay eh? killercabs? I'm not really a fan of GG. Rumblefish...well it looks nice.
Meh <goes to play Shock Troopers>

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
J0e Musashi said:
From eBay eh? killercabs? I'm not really a fan of GG. Rumblefish...well it looks nice.
Meh <goes to play Shock Troopers>

I like the way rumblefish plays, personally. But you might want to wait a year before you really start buying games, as someone whos played 4 games on the system so far I can say it hasn't really hit it's stride, PLUS when NGBC comes out a bunch of loose carts should hit the market.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Demolish Fist for 35 GBP is decent. It's not a real impressive game, but it's gotten so cheap that it's not a bad deal. GG Isuka is a nice game, Rumble Fish is pretty hit or miss (some really like it, everyone else seems to hate it, little gray area).

I paid $310 for a loose GG:I, and RF tends to go for $250-$275 loose on here or eBay, so neither is too cheap.

I play my copy of GG a lot more than I played my copy of Rumble Fish.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
The best thing to do right now is to buy a mobo bundled with any game other than Demolish Fist, and then, if you like it, buy it separately as it is very cheap. Since you already have it, then you only have to choice the game coming with the mobo.

I think there are some videos here:

http://www.snk-capcom.com/htm/videos.htm
http://www.insertcredit.com/

My opinions on games:

Demolish Fist: I think it's worth it's current price tag. Just an average game, moderate fun, specially with 2 players.

Rumble Fish: The most original AW game. I've just played the PS2 version and enjoyed it a lot. Of course, you have to consider if it's worth it having the expensive arcade version when you can have the port for a fraction of the cost.

GGX 1.5: Everybody knows about it. Nice game, but again, it's possibly better to have the ports of X or XX.

GG Isuka: Weird game. The controls (a button for turning) kill me. It's also very chaotic with more than 2 fighter in screen. I would rather have the port, as it is much easier to get 4 simultaneous human players in it, plus extra game modes.

KOF Neowave: As good as 02. Therefore, I have enough with my 02 MVS. 02 itself is also ported, and even Neowave is coming to PS2.

Knights of Valour: Some people like it, but it didn't really catch me. Can be a bit repetitive at times.

Dolphin Blue: It's the only one I still haven't played (counting ports). Again some like it, others don't. I think I will like it at least a bit, and I'll find out soon since I should be getting it next week.

So on the end, in my opinion the existance of ports conditionate a lot what AW games to get, as they are very expensive. The 3 oldest games possibly won't be ported (DF, DB, KoV) but the rest, and most of the upcoming important ones (such as NBC) are already ported or will be.

Buying an Atomiswave for home use is not very recommended, it really hasn't that many games nor even good ones. I would wait for something really good, such as NBC before buying it, but that game is going to be expensive as hell, and when it drops in price it possibly will be already ported. Actually when it comes out we should expect more and cheaper loose carts to appear in the market, but I thought the same with Neowave and it wasn't that noticeable, although lately quite more loose carts are on the market, but still pretty expensive.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
FrostbayneAucti said:
The one I'm waiting for is "Dirty Pigskin" Looks like mutant league football.

Yeah, when does that release? It's been up on the Sammy Atomiswave page for as long as I can remember, but it's still not out... :conf:

To (hopefully) compliment Amano's post: I have Dolphin Blue (along with KoF Neowave, GG: Isuka, Knights of Valour, and Demolish Fist). I like it quite a bit. I've played it far more than any of my other carts. It is clearly modeled after Metal Slug, but it's not on that level. But the graphics are pretty sharp and it plays very cleanly, and the running/swimming/dolphin riding mechanic is pretty original, at least. Also has a good difficulty curve. The final boss packs suitably insane firepower, but practice and smart dodging will keep you from getting hit. The price has stayed surprisingly high on DB, consistently drawing $225+ on eBay.

And on Isuka, Amano is right on. It's all in how well you like/dislike the turn mechanic. It's pretty weird to have to hit a button to turn around, and also kind of weird to use the same button+another to change planes (just like Fatal Fury), but it works okay after you get used to it. I had played the PS2 version pretty extensively before I got my ATW cart, so I knew what to expect and I don't mind the turn button. And after it becomes second nature you'll find yourself pulling off some cool sequences with it- you can land nasty special move combos with Sol that end in his wall-kick without touching the ground that include at least one mid-air turn.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I thought Dirty Pigskin had already been released, as there's a pic of the cab in Sammy's website. Oh well.

About Isuka, of course it is just a matter of time to get used to the controls, but well, I'd rather just play GGX or XX instead. It's a matter of opinion.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
I might get the rumble fish, the animation looks awesome, but then again, gg isuka looks pretty neat, i know these games have PS2 ports, but solid state arcade hardware always beats DVD/CD consoles!!! I still have my old Ghosts n Goblins PCB, there are arcade perfect ports of this for a few formats now. But playing the old Hardware version just feels right somehow. :)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Yep, nothing can beat the "true arcade". If you don't take ports into consideration, then I'd say Rumble Fish is the best AW game. By the way, I'm wondering if used through VGA this game looks better, as some other AW games look shitty in hi res (Neowave and KoV). I beat it does.

Anyway, taking care that ports of a system like AW are arcade perfect with almosy non-noticeable loading (not "inferior ports" like alwats happens with Neo Geo games), have extra modes much more suited for home use, and that I use the same TV to play both arcade games and console games (I only have a supergun, I understand most people here have cabs so it's a different story), I'm afraid I'll have to pass on AW games that are ported, unless they are really cheap.

Last edited:

Arcader

New Challenger
If you are referring to how Rumble Fish looks on a PC monitor, then I'd have to say it doesnt look as good as on a TV screen, the characters are more pixelly and the backgrounds didnt impress me much on the PC either.

This is just IMO and was tested on a 21" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB CRT monitor.