Awww..fuck.. I just nutted myself

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
WoodyXP said:
Yeah.. there's alot of good games for PC Engine. Keep an eye on Ebay(I know you're on there).. namely Dreamstars... they let DUO-Rs go cheap.. for like $110 or so. You can also ask for standard shipping.. which is much cheaper if you don't want to deal with exorbitant EMS prices.

I'll have to check dreamstars out, thanks for the heads up!

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
EvilMike said:
I never thought I'd see hate for someone discovering a retro game they missed out on.

Yeah, seriously. I always enjoy hearing about people who develop an interest in things I have a passion for.

One time, I wound up talking with my co-workers about playing SF2 in the arcades back in the olden days. So, for some after-hours mayhem, I brought in my Neo Geo to the office where I work, and I was surprised how quickly they took a shine to it.

Nowadays, as a joke, they still occasionally quote that goofy announcer from SVC Chaos: "No Escape!".

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
No, no. I have been sorely misunderstood here.

Like I said in my post above it's when these guys get all elitist and talk down to you over their supposed superior knowledge of games, music, movies etc because they just discovered something I knew about 10 years ago.

As an example, there is a guy I know who recently told me about how amazing Secret of Mana was and how much of a dumb fuck I am for playing shit like King of Fighters when I ignore classics like that. Assholes like that don't deserve the respect to be told I finished Secret of Mana in 1995.

Wanna know what he was playing back then? Donkey Kong Country lol, missed out on everything else because of that. He also fully believes the Mortal Kombat series is vastly superior to street fighter let alone any SNK games. The guy doesn't even treat these as worthless opinions as I do about my opinions(after all what do I know?), he thinks they are truths.

Funnily enough I have ceased all efforts to stay in touch with this particular smartassed, condescending, hypocrite tosser.

I'm not sure how my post was so badly misinterpreted though to be honest. It was pretty clear I thought.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Lovergoat said:
I'm not sure how my post was so badly misinterpreted though to be honest. It was pretty clear I thought.

Though the replies in general apply to your original viewpoint, I could be wrong here but it seems to me it's moreso Zero's hostile-ish elitist POV that sparked the replies that it did. I don't have a problem with anyone (re)discovering an old game, and being happy to talk about it. But if they act all stupid about it, then yeah, that's straight up dumb.

BTW Lover, that's good you dropped that loser. There's always going to be those type of lame-ass people out there. Don't let one asshole infiltrate your thoughts like that. He sounds just like one dude I used to "kick it" with in high school. Out of sight, out of mind.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I'll stir the pot a little bit. I "was there" when Super Metroid came out. I bought it when it was released. I beat quickly and became bored with it. I got rid of it in about a week. And yes, I was very thorough: I didn't just fly through the game. I never saw what the big deal was.

I guess I like arcade type games more. Get a quick fix, then get out.

So I went back to playing street fighter.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
EvilMike said:
I never thought I'd see hate for someone discovering a retro game they missed out on. You people are pathetic elitist losers.

I'm so fucking awesome I played this game before you.

icon29.gif

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Zero Satori said:
Poseurs make-up a good reason to be negative about the state of how video game players are seen nowadays.

No one's gonna rag on someone for playing old games. It's just the facts that a lot of these people didn't give a shit about games like Metroid when they first came-out, and instead were all caught-up in their own stupidity playing less-quality but more-advertised and/or more-cool games during that particular era. Now, suddenly, a lot of these people are patting themselves on the back for "discover[ing] the joy of an old treasure" as if it wasn't their own dumbassed fault they didn't see it the first time around.

SPINMASTER X hit the nail on the head when he said that people like this, more often than not, go "back and [play the classics] in an effort to get some knowledge and act like they were all about it the whole time." Whereas everyone who was smart and saw a good thing when it first came around sits-back, tries to laugh it off, then realises that 90% of the "gamerz" populace nowadays is exactly like this. Another good example is how, like, for ten years, only the most dedicated SNES players cared about "Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past" but then it shows-up remade on Game Boy Advance and Nintendo offers it on a bonus disc for GameCube and voila!--Instant poseurism of a classic game.

"Duhduhduh guyz teh old Link game iz za shit yeh i play tem all teh time."

Dude, what the fuck are you talking about? How old are you? You sound like the most bitter of elitists.

When Zelda: A Link to the Past came out, it was a big deal to everybody who owned a SNES... At least, it was around here. Same story with Earthbound and Super Metroid and many others that people would now consider "hardcore."

But, anyway, I got into the original Phantasy Star games through PSO. Are you gonna try to tell me that I'm not a real Phantasy Star fan?

It brings a smile to my face whenever anybody goes back to discover or rediscover the classics. Period. If you truly loved games from that era and regarded them as classics, you would just be glad that people were taking the time to discover them. You wouldn't care if somebody got into Super Metroid through Prime. Find something else to cry about...

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I got into Real Bout 2 after I played MOTW. That doesn't make me love RB2 any less. What a great game.

Come to think of it, I got into Black Sabbath after listening to Ozzy's solo stuff. Damn, I suck............

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Lovergoat said:
No, no. I have been sorely misunderstood here.

Like I said in my post above it's when these guys get all elitist and talk down to you over their supposed superior knowledge of games, music, movies etc because they just discovered something I knew about 10 years ago.
Precisely. There's nothing wrong with people going-back and playing old games, but it really becomes a problem when (for instance) hordes of people gather around an age-old franchise and spend weeks researching it on the Internet in order to prove their gamer-ballz to video game players who knew all this stuff and maybe even forgot it ten years earlier.

I'll give all the respect in the world to the thread-starter for picking-up Super Metroid; it's one of the most solid all-around games from the sixteen bit era, but (as Lovergoat explained) got lost amongst more casual gamers in the waves of releases coming from Sega and Nintendo's side in the battle to win the console war. The problem with "jumping on the bandwagon" really doesn't apply to Neo-Geo.com members, for the most part, but it's a pain in the ass to go to Game Crazy and hear some sixteen year old kid try to impress his friend with "Did you know that Samus is really a girl?!" :oh_no:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
jimcarreydy5.jpg

Who cares... really. What does being one of the first to play Super Metroid(or any game) do for you? Does it make you a better person? Does it get you laid? Does it get you a raise at work? How about when you try to get into a Night Club and the bouncer asks for your credentials? Is he gonna care if you played Super Metroid back in the 1995? Nah.. probably not... he'll throw your faggot ass across the street I'd bet.

I love this thread.

Last edited:

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
WoodyXP said:
Who cares... really. What does being one of the first to play Super Metroid(or any game) do for you?
It's not about being the "first one" to play the game; it's how ridiculous the gaming scene has become with people playing old games and then trying to tell others how awesome those games are, all the while being completely oblivious to the fact that they might be speaking around people who already know. Not everybody does this, of course, but it seems to be becoming more and more prevelant in the gaming community to have people who "discover" games going around trying to be cool about it.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Zero Satori said:
It's not about being the "first one" to play the game; it's how ridiculous the gaming scene has become with people playing old games and then trying to tell others how awesome those games are, all the while being completely oblivious to the fact that they might be speaking around people who already know. Not everybody does this, of course, but it seems to be becoming more and more prevelant in the gaming community to have people who "discover" games going around trying to be cool about it.

Are there guidelines for etiquette when speaking around seasoned gamers? I just laugh at the people. If somebody wants to play Donkey Kong or Primal Rage and tries to act slick then more power to him. I would think it's funny and feel good that somebody still appreciates the game.

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Zero Satori said:

Hmm, seems to me, I just hear people talking about Halo and Madden.

You sound like a tard. All you're doing is whining. Shut the fuck up.