Batman ‘91 Pinball: Data East

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Played this one again tonight. I try and get some rounds in every Summer that I make it to the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk. Hollywood Arcade still has this one, plus so many other classics.

Stern’s Godzilla is my favorite new era pin; however, I can’t think of a better pin all around than Batman. The scoring gimmicks, the flow of the playfield, the sound…it just hits the spot.

What’s your favorite(s) pinball?

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I mostly remember the Batman table for the upper-right museum thing, for getting more balls in play. Was a nice take on multiball mechanics as you re-lock balls to get even more.

Speaking of Data East tables, I always have to play Royal Rumble when I see it just for the OOOH YEAH.

I know of 3 Godzilla tables in my area; it seems to be a popular pickup. It's a sweet table with so many toys and stuff, especially the collapsing building.

I think my favorite currently is Black Knight Sword of Rage. The boss monster fights are just so cool, with pumping music as you decapitate hydras and shit.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I mostly remember the Batman table for the upper-right museum thing

¡SHOOT THE FLUGELHEIM!

That sound bite is up there w/ the ‘Ohh YEAH’ you mentioned. Data East had a sweet sound team in the pin division.

*Flugelheim became a Swiss-Army knife tier slang word (2nd in versatility only to ‘fuck’ in my circle in High School).

-I’d shoot Kim Basinger’s flugelheim
-your mom is a flugelheim
-have a taint? Nope-that spot between your balls and anus, is a flugelheim
-shut your flugelheim
-etc, ad naus and so forth

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Good way to see what’s near you on route.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I have most of the big names in my collection (except Medieval Madness, and with the current prices it's clear I'll never have it), but my favorite is still Fish Tales, with WhiteWater as a close second. There are many different aspects that can make a favorite table, and it really depends on what kind of player you are. Fish Tales is fast, easy to understand, with great flow on the criss-cross ramps and well-balanced scoring for players with normal skills - champions can abuse Super Jackpots and get monster scores, of course, but it's easier said than done and you have to hit the deadly center captive ball. The relatively short ball times and the fact that you always know how many points you need to get ahead of your opponents (and where to get them) make it perfect for multiplayer, something that's very important for me, but that others might value less. Oh, and it's got one of the best Video Modes ever.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What’s your favorite(s) pinball?
I was never a pinball fan like I was with video games (who was?), but two 90s memories:

1. Medieval Madness. Crowds would gather at the dollar theater's arcade, which was incredible on its own, around at night. If you could play this for a while and have ten people watch you while waiting for the movie to start, you were a god.

2. My best friend got a pinball for Christmas one year. Black Pyramid. Truth be told it wasn't a great pinball, but you better believe every time I went over I would bashfully ask if we could play it. Looking up pictures now, the art for that pinball was sick. Pinball art, bro.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've only played a few of them but the one's I played I really enjoyed and that was Terminator 2, Adam's Family, Theater of Magic, and Bride of Pinbot, Cirqus Voltaire. If it wasn't for the amount of maintenance involved I probably would have owned a Terminator 2 since I had a opportunity to purchase one at a reasonable price over 10 years ago.

I've played bunch of the good ones in video games and I'd be happy with any one of them to be honest but the price they go for now in days and the constant repairs is a major turn off. Rather visit some spot from time to time and get my pinball fix or just play them in a video game.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
We had a Medieval Madness at a previous job and I played the hell out of it. I even kinda got good at pinball for a while. Fantastic game. It has this nice lighthearted feel and the gimmicks are fun.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My favorite pinball machine still is Gorgar by Williams, love the cool sounds, the overall design and fast gameplay. It has many sound FX also found in Defender, Robotron, etc., back then this dragged me in like a magnet. The goal is to beat Gorgar with a hiscore by luring him out of his cave and chasing him around the table. You can always hear his heartbeat which gets quicker and quicker the longer you play on one ball, eventually he'll start yelling at you and then die with a long scream.

It's a pretty simple machine but what's there works very well IMO.

Gorgar is part of the Xbox360 collection Williams Pinball Classics, btw., that's my main go-to version.

Last edited: