Best Dollar You've Ever Spent?

Most of us have heard the phrase, "Best dollar I've ever spent". That said, what real-life purchases have made you say the above phrase aloud? (Note: It doesn't have to be limited to $1; it can be any given amount; see examples below.)

-Best $12.50: Getting to see Rifftrax Live: Sharknado last week.

-Best $0.25: Played a grabbing machine game at a diner in New Jersey 21 years ago, failed to win stuffed animal; teenage girl wins it; I tell my aunt, "That's the one I wanted, oh well." Girl overhears me, gives me prize instead. I give a giant grin and thank her multiple times. (I still have the stuffed animal today.)

-Best Dollar: Bet one dollar chip on a number in roulette during my Christmas Las Vegas vacation back in 2001, lands on my number; I win $36 (more on that later).

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Go on. I want to hear more about how the cashier reacted.

Well the problem was that the SKU was attached to another game that happened to be discontinued, (I'm not sure which one it was), but she said she wouldn't sell the game to me for that price, I wanted to talk to the manager and he came out and said "Sir, I'm sorry I can't sell it for this price." I told him that for a retail store to trumpet that they beat any advertised price but won't match their own price is very poor customer service and I would like the contact number for the DM. I was rand up rather quickly and quietly and was on my way. The store across town pulled all copies and covered the barcode after that.

JasonToddLives

Armored Scrum Object
You just reminded me: a few years ago I saw a young kid lose a few quarters in a grabbing machine with his mother over his shoulder, complaining how he was wasting his money. As soon as he was finished, I put in a quarter and won the stuffed animal he was trying to get. Then I handed him the toy right in front of his mom. She was not amused.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
sapphire_logo_header.gif

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
bought a copy of mr. do's castle for atari 2600 for a buck once...
bought flintstones dino peak with box for $5.
bought US copy of Cotton for turbo duo for $10.
stupidest fucking mistake i ever made when i was 14 and was retarded: passed on US copies of top hunter and some other less valuable US AES title for $10 a piece at a game store because i already had the NGCD versions... wasnt 30 minutes later on the ride home that i realized how fucking stupid that was.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Gas money. Back in the 90s when two bucks could get you somewhere for an entire weekend.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
$15 - Mega Man X2 and X3 carts in perfect shape off some other kid in HS

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Two quarters, two tries, and two stuffed animals (a cheetah & a tiger) for my kids.

True story; I have *never* won anything in a claw machine before or since.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
$60 shipped Mars Matrix CPS2 off ebay: 2 were listed from separate sellers at the same time. Everyone started a bid war on one which ended at $150 before shipping. Guess they failed to see the other.

1986: Helped my father do a simple bathroom replumb at a closed bowling alley getting converted back to a warehouse / commercial space. $100 job and walked away with a 100% working and clean Centipede, Millipede, and Firepower Pin as the building owner wanted them gone. How my arcade world first started.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Bought a pack of baseball cards for 8 bucks at a trade show and got a Babe Ruth autograph card, which I sold it on the same day for a nice profit.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Loaned a girl a dollar before the bell rang for 1st period in high school. Took her to a friends house that afternoon cause she needed a ride to the construction site her dad was working at in the same subdivision. I was homeless at the time and was crashing in his garage. Banged her out in said garage on a couch they were going to donate to Goodwill. Fucked her so hard we broke the springs out the bottom. She cried for me to take her to her dad afterwards cause either it hurt or she just had issues. Didn't speak to her for years after that. She found me on Facebook one time when I was back in the town I grew up in and was having a pretty rough go at it at the time. After realizing she was still DTF (I told her I didn't remember her, she sent me a pretty reminding picture), banged her out again on my way to eat dinner with the folks. Haven't spoken to her since.

P.S. $25,895 for an FR-S :)

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Got a NES on Xmas day. next day I took the few dollars i had and bought Contra. I was less than 8 at the time. Still playing that cart to this day.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
This is a tough question. I'm really struggling to think.

I bought a rail card tat gets me 33% off all train journeys. That is the only thing I've ever bought that's been really worth the money (lame I know).

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
SNES port of Populous, with manual, for a dollar, from one of my friends. He didn't understand the game and was frustrated with it, so he sold it to me for a pittance. I LOVE that cartridge to death and still play it on a regular basis to this day. For those not familiar, it's a real-time war/strategy game where you play a god that controls the landscape and weather, using them to help your people/worshippers and screw the opposition. While the game mechanics are always the same, there are different "skins" or motifs to change things up, visually. Waging divine war between two armies of mice, on a confectionary landscape riddled with cake and candy houses never gets old.