Best handheld for Neo Geo emulation

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I've been out of the loop. Which is the best out there for both Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo emulation? I'm talking about the quality of the emulator, hardware stick etc. I'm guessing its between PSP and GP2X..

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
I wasnt aware that the GP2x could do neo (just cd or carts as well?) but i'd say i prefer the gooey analog stick on the gp2x than the lame-o Sony d pad. Unless you have the Alpha Dpad for PSP, id say go for the GP2x in terms of control.

I've only played CD romz on the PSP so i can't judge the speed or anything though :emb:

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
GP2X does NOT have an analog pad. It's digital, and it's also pretty crappy - it's one of the biggest complaints GP2X owners have. And on PSP you can switch between the dpad and the analog pad on the fly. Neither system is ideal for controls. But PSP at least gives you some choice.

So personally I would recommend the PSP over the Gp2X. Not only is NeoGeo and NeoCD emulation very good, there are also the many other benefits over the Gp2X, including lots of good new REAL games being made for it. With GP2X you ONLY have emus and homebrew. And that gets boring faster than you may think.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Diggerman said:
GP2X does NOT have an analog pad. It's digital, and it's also pretty crappy - it's one of the biggest complaints GP2X owners have. And on PSP you can switch between the dpad and the analog pad on the fly. Neither system is ideal for controls. But PSP at least gives you some choice.

So personally I would recommend the PSP over the Gp2X. Not only is NeoGeo and NeoCD emulation very good, there are also the many other benefits over the Gp2X, including lots of good new REAL games being made for it. With GP2X you ONLY have emus and homebrew. And that gets boring faster than you may think.
Oh what-ever, nancy.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
gp2x owns for MVS , check youtube for vids

runs 2k3 perfectly / motw etc.

I want one but I just can't be assed.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
kernow said:
gp2x owns for MVS , check youtube for vids

runs 2k3 perfectly / motw etc.

I want one but I just can't be assed.

go with the PSP

at least you can play some new releases (GnG) every now and then

I'm sure with time they'll smooth out all those kinks in the NeoGeo Emu too

kingbuzzo

Zero's Secretary
the new pad on the gp2x is actually much better, and if it's not for you, there are plenty of new 3rd party designs available.

Also, tv out is a pretty sweet feature that the psp has some difficulty in doing.

apples and oranges still.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
roker said:
go with the PSP

at least you can play some new releases (GnG) every now and then

I'm sure with time they'll smooth out all those kinks in the NeoGeo Emu too

I probably would to be honest, as I could play GNG , and its not got stupid batteries.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
You also asked about NGPC emulation. I don't know about the GP2X, but last I checked the emu for PSP sucked ass. It'll run, but slow and sound doesn't work well at all. It may have updated since I last checked, but I doubt it - the developer never seems to work on it :(

califoreigner

Dodgeball Yakuza
Mattroid said:
You also asked about NGPC emulation. I don't know about the GP2X, but last I checked the emu for PSP sucked ass. It'll run, but slow and sound doesn't work well at all. It may have updated since I last checked, but I doubt it - the developer never seems to work on it :(

huh, well... i still give subbie an A for effort.
sorry to hear you're leaving the scene. i never
did peep out iris, but will be sure to now. as
w/ all legends, you know? ;) anyways, gl
w/ the new J-O-B. i would have started a
thread for you, but we've never even talked.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
califoreigner said:
Umm, was all that directed at me? If so, more than half must be over my head since I have no idea what it's referring to. I didn't mean any offense by my comments about the emulator, it just sucks that one of the emus I'd like to have the most on my PSP rarely updates. Of course, I'm glad someone has even considered making one at all - that's awesome. I just wish we'd see it come to completion.

califoreigner

Dodgeball Yakuza
sorry bro, not directed at you. one of our
members- subbie, is (was) a developer on
the psp mod scene known as PSmonkey
who created ngpsp the emu in question.
he recently moved up the ranks to bigger
things and he's no longer allowed to do any
freelance work as a result. and i doubt any
offense was taken. he seems to be a cool cat

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
okay, cool. no harm done. I was just a bit confused :P

5yn@ps3

New Challenger
My mate has a Ver. 2 GPX2, and he's just had to send it back to be repaired. The stick just broke and stopped registering directions. It was crap before it broke, which is a shame. The GP2X is a quality bit of kit, and the NG emulation is pretty damn good.

I just hope they release a Mk 3. with either a decent 'proper' d-pad or a joystick like the NGPC, instead of the current half-assed effort.

Stifu

Kabuki Klasher
I take it his unit was defective from the start... That said, the joystick can still get better, of course. A MK3 GP2X with a NGPC quality joystick would be awesome.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
califoreigner said:

Thanks for the kind words. I've been kind of busy and tired so I did not notice it till today.

I do have a newer ngPsp I never released. It's not full speed but atleast now MOTM runs at 50fps. It's just waiting on the GUI (like I mention).

If you want early, just PM me for it. :)

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Macdaddy_93 said:
Im using my PSP and find it very good, cannot stop playing neo turf masters!!! :glee:
Without a doubt the best game to play on the PSP. I even bought the cart since playing on the PSP.