Best Supergun to use?

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Why do people think Superguns only use $15 in parts?

The cheapest PSU is more than that. If you are buying parts in small quantities expect to pay more than $25 in shipping costs alone. I only got mine half done and already had $100+ invested in it. Mind I did have to buy alot of tools as I have never indulged in such a project before.

If you know what your doing, have all the tools handy already and just have to buy parts, I think $150+ is a reasonable figure to be working with.

You need -

Jamma Harness - $10+
DB15 sockets x 2 - $10+ inc shipping
RCA jacks - $10+ inc shipping
A box - $10
PSU - $15+
Resisters/Potentiometers - $10+
Happs/Sanwa buttons for service/test modes and credit feeding - $10+
RGB-NTSC video convertor - $80+
2 joystick/pads - $10-$150+ (even more if conversion is required)
Kick Harnesses = Extra Cash

Okay, so if you want everything on that list and you really wanted a budget supergun, your not going to get change out of $150 even if you built it yourself.

If anyone has built a $15 supergun please feel free to unleash the secrets ;)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Neorichieb1971 said:
Jamma Harness - $10+
DB15 sockets x 2 - $10+ inc shipping
RCA jacks - $10+ inc shipping
A box - $10
PSU - $15+
Resisters/Potentiometers - $10+
Happs/Sanwa buttons for service/test modes and credit feeding - $10+
RGB-NTSC video convertor - $80+
2 joystick/pads - $10-$150+ (even more if conversion is required)
Kick Harnesses = Extra Cash

First of all, that UK supergun pictured there is RGB-only (TVs in Europe accept RGB through scart) so it doesn't need an expensive RGB->NTSC encoder.

About prices on some of the other parts (the common ones like DB15 sockets, RCA jacks, Resistors..), I don't know about you in USA, but I don't need to have most of that stuff shipped, I just go to my local electronics store (and I ain't talking about Radioshack) and buy them for less than 1€ a piece.

About pads, it is possible to mod cheap console ones for around 10$. Of course big sticks made with real arcade parts are more expensive.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Okay, so according to you there are 15 parts in a supergun and they cost 1 euro a piece.

Great job. You've done really well.

Sarcasm aside, its still impossible to build a supergun for $15 unless most of the parts are somehow free.

I would like to see what a $15 supergun looks like, please post pictures :D

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Neorichieb1971 said:
Okay, so according to you there are 15 parts in a supergun and they cost 1 euro a piece.

Great job. You've done really well.

Sarcasm aside, its still impossible to build a supergun for $15 unless most of the parts are somehow free.

I would like to see what a $15 supergun looks like, please post pictures :D

I never said you can build a supergun with 15$, genius. I'm just saying that your breakdown parts lists with prices can't be generalized, and definately doesn't apply to the UK supergun pictured. Anyway I'll say that supergun has MORE than 15$, but definately LESS than 100$, in parts. Are you happy?

Last edited:

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
gamejunkie said:
Wow $362... It only has about $15 in materials and a couple hours of work...

It was this guy I was referring to. You just joined the argument in the middle somewhere :D

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Neorichieb1971 said:
It was this guy I was referring to. You just joined the argument in the middle somewhere :D

Well, if it was that guy who you were referring to, then quote him just like you did now. When somebody has quoted you 30 minutes after your post, and you reply 15 minutes after that without quoting anybody, then it is normal to assume you are talking to the later poster and not to somebody else in the previous page.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Amano Jacu said:
Well, if it was that guy who you were referring to, then quote him just like you did now. When somebody has quoted you 30 minutes after your post, and you reply 15 minutes after that without quoting anybody, then it is normal to assume you are talking to the later poster and not to somebody else in the previous page.

That would be correct, if it were not 5am here I would probably of done that.

Take it easy. ;)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
OK, no problem, it's just that I'm bored at work (12:48 PM here) and there's few activity in the boards as always, so I was just happy to talk to somebody. Don't worry, take care and have a good sleep ;)

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Neorichieb1971 said:

My super gun is going to cost less than $15 because it's for a Naomi.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, for a Naomi, if you already have a suitable PSU connected directly to it and a Sega I/O (you NEED and I/O anyway, and remember to ground it), you just need to wire the DB15s to a JAMMA connector for controls, and then hook the RCA jacks on the Naomi to a self-powered audio system and the VGA video to a VGA monitor (it will possibly work in hi-res only though).

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Whats this talk about a sound problem with the PGM?

Both of my super guns that I have gotten from D-Lite havent had any problems what so ever with the PGM. :conf:

Kiel

20 Year Member
Oh, I see... :annoyed:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Spike said:
Whats this talk about a sound problem with the PGM?

Both of my super guns that I have gotten from D-Lite havent had any problems what so ever with the PGM. :conf:
No shit??? OK, I must be doing something wrong then. I'm wondering if there's something with the PGM settings themselves.

Kiel

20 Year Member

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Here I come with questions again...

If the supergun is made for only RGB, will it need a modification to display correctly on a hdtv? Does this hold through for consoles as well?

How many kick harnasses would I need to play JAMMA, MVS, CPS1/2 and PGM? Those are the standards for the games I'm interested in, so...

Oh, does the SG also need a seperate power supply?

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I love the idea and design of many superguns, I can see they are made very small in order to clog up less space than necessary- what puts me off is the mess of wires and boards. I'm a bit neurotic that way.
I was wondering if it is theoretically possible to make a supergun which houses the boards themselves and keeps everything tidy and out of view. beyond the issue of size, would such a thing be possible? something like a draw beneath the system in which to place the arcade boards?
its a shame I don't know anything about electronics, I have some ideas that I'd be aching to implement (aesthetically).

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
DevilRedeemed said:
I love the idea and design of many superguns, I can see they are made very small in order to clog up less space than necessary- what puts me off is the mess of wires and boards. I'm a bit neurotic that way.
I was wondering if it is theoretically possible to make a supergun which houses the boards themselves and keeps everything tidy and out of view. beyond the issue of size, would such a thing be possible? something like a draw beneath the system in which to place the arcade boards?
its a shame I don't know anything about electronics, I have some ideas that I'd be aching to implement (aesthetically).

I'm planning to begin work on something just of the sort. I have everything needed to complete the task, just need the time... After next Wed. all that will change! WOOT!!!

To build this mug I'll need measurements for lots of different boards. Average width, length, and height of most Jamma boards and setups (ie capcom).

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
gamejunkie said:
I'm planning to begin work on something just of the sort. I have everything needed to complete the task, just need the time... After next Wed. all that will change! WOOT!!!

To build this mug I'll need measurements for lots of different boards. Average width, length, and height of most Jamma boards and setups (ie capcom).

wicked. keep us updated? I'd be really interested in seeing the end product.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Dreamer said:
Here I come with questions again...

If the supergun is made for only RGB, will it need a modification to display correctly on a hdtv? Does this hold through for consoles as well?

How many kick harnasses would I need to play JAMMA, MVS, CPS1/2 and PGM? Those are the standards for the games I'm interested in, so...

Oh, does the SG also need a seperate power supply?

I don't know how a HDTV works, but I think they should be able to accept regular RGB too as long as they have a scart socket, it's just that you wouldn't be able to use the "high definition enhancements", but you don't really need them anyway.

You have some confusion, all the arcade boards you listed are JAMMA, there's not a single kick-harness for JAMMA. MVS doesn't need a kick harness. CPS1, CPS2 and PGM need a different kick harness each so you'll need 3, but each one should be kept with the corresponding board and just attached to the supergun when you are going to play that board.

About the psu, depends on how the supergun is built, some are smaller and have a external psu, some are bigger and have an internal (usually arcade) psu for better performance and compatibility.

About having a board "inside" a supergun, of course is possible, but not really practical unless the box is really big, and therefore bulky. Anyway be careful with overheating. And remember that not all arcade boards are that "ugly" with exposed pcbs, many of them are already in nice "boxes", lile MVS multi-slots, CPS2, Atomiswave, etc.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Ah, I see, thanks Amano.

CPS2 games like D&D won't need a kick harness, since they don't use all the buttons, correct?

Is changing the kick harness just plug & play? If you have more than 1 CPS1/2 etc. board ,you'll have to change the kick harness each time, right?

Arcader

New Challenger
Dreamer said:
Ah, I see, thanks Amano.

CPS2 games like D&D won't need a kick harness, since they don't use all the buttons, correct?

Is changing the kick harness just plug & play? If you have more than 1 CPS1/2 etc. board ,you'll have to change the kick harness each time, right?

It's not exactly plug and play, well it depends on whether you superguns kick harness is permanently attached or detachable. If its detachable it will be plug and play with CPS1/2 if not you will only be able to plug and play with just CPS2 or just CPS1 becuz when you change from CPS1 to CPS2 (or vice versa) you will need to reconnect the wires for the different harness.

Also the PGM doesn't require a kick harness it only uses 4 buttons, its just like an MVS.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
About having a board "inside" a supergun, of course is possible, but not really practical unless the box is really big, and therefore bulky. Anyway be careful with overheating. And remember that not all arcade boards are that "ugly" with exposed pcbs, many of them are already in nice "boxes", lile MVS multi-slots, CPS2, Atomiswave, etc.

putting a fan in the compartment would help then?
I guess for things such as MVS the all inclusive supergun would have to be too big, I concur. but if design>practicality, then maybe getting around the issue of bulkiness would not be a big deal. its just a matter of seeing how bulky, bulky really is.
since I don't know how a supergun really works or is built the next question will probably be ridiculous.

is it at all possible to make a supergun which simultaneously connects to multiple boards? ofcourse only one board would be 'on' at any given time, I'm just wondering this with respect to the idea of an all inclusive supergun.

and just as a concept idea - a supergun built into a TV set, kind of like you have with the superfamicom and dreamcast custom TVs?

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
DevilRedeemed said:
is it at all possible to make a supergun which simultaneously connects to multiple boards? ofcourse only one board would be 'on' at any given time, I'm just wondering this with respect to the idea of an all inclusive supergun.

and just as a concept idea - a supergun built into a TV set, kind of like you have with the superfamicom and dreamcast custom TVs?

This is possible (correct me if I'm wrong). You could wire 3 or more jamma harnesses to all the stuff that makes it work (ie video convertor board, joystick ports, audio ports, etc...). Then take a 2pole 3position switch and wire it to the 5v and 12v lines coming from the psu. Before you turn the supergun power on select the board you want to play and they power on.

On second thought you would probably have to do some kind of ciruitry to switch all the video feeds... Or would it be possible to just solder the red, green, blue, and sync wires from each board directly to the convertor board without losing quality or hurting any of the boards that aren't powered on?

I'm thinking about not designing this with MVS in mind. They are to damn big to fit inside an enclosure once the carts are in place.

You're making me all giddy to start this right away!