Best Supergun to use?

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Since I don't have money (and space) for a cab right now, I was looking into a Supergun.

But I know next to nothing about them...do all of them have stereo, RGB? And how do you connect them to your TV, RGB cable I presume?

Also, what kind of controllers can you use on them?

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I will let others answer before I contribute my two cents :)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, the video outputs depend of it is American or European... Here in Europe, since out TV's accept RGB through scart, superguns just use this video option.
About stereo, take care that most JAMMA boards are mono only, but a supergun can also be made in order to output stereo sound for the boards that support it. Sound is usually wired to the scart connection, sometimes to just 2 standar RCA jacks.
About controllers, most superguns have DB15 male controller ports compatible with Neo Geo controllers, and custom or modified controllers wired accordingly.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Well, you could do this yourself (like me)... Or you could let D do it. His work is wicked awesome. You can get any type of video connection you need depending on your situation. I personally would love to see something like the following made... Maybe I'll work on it this summer. I would really like to encase the board while in use.

supergun2ng.png

Arcader

New Challenger
If you want to play alot of different Jamma games then I recommend the Raven Games Supergun MKII. It is compatible with all Jamma boards.

It uses an SCART for video input. Personally I use the Cyprus SCART to YUV converter which is very good and compatible with all the games I have (Atomiswave, CPSII etc..). Also I like the way they designed their kick harness to make it detachable from the supergun using a 9 pin connector, this makes it much more practical to change from CPS1, CPS2, MK etc... and you can easily have a kick harness for every board you own.

D-Lites new one looks pretty good too, hopefully he will use an arcade power supply this time.

C.A.R25

Genjuro's Frog
All a supergun is...

... is something that allows arcade PCBs to be played on a TV (or RGB monitor)... If you know how to wire a cab, then even making a SG should not be hard, the concepts are the same with exception to certain things converting the RGB signal to work on american type TVs (or you may not have to do that if you have an old RGB monitor, or even have a SCART type TV).

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Arcader said:
D-Lites new one looks pretty good too, hopefully he will use an arcade power supply this time.
I have used arcade PSUs in superguns, but since it needs to be enclosed, the supergun is quite large compared to these more compact ones. And considering how few boards need the -5V line or more amps on the others, it's an easy call to go with the Ault SC200 (the "Jameco PSU") for most applications. I assume the Raven supergun doesn't use an arcade PSU? How are they enclosing it if they do?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
If D-Lite will make one for you, get it from him

They're hot and reasonably priced

that and the sexy bitch is talented

Ill6

Marked Wolf
The Raven one does include an arcade supply (on the plus side) but its quite a big box (on the down side!).

Arcader

New Challenger
Yeah it has an arcade power supply. Also its not that big, not nearly as big as the supernova which practically empty inside its box.

The Raven SG is pretty much cramped inside due to the arcade PSU.

I found a picture of what the Raven SG looks like on you site D-Lite, seems like you have one or somehow got a similar box.

4Guns.jpg

The Raven SG is the same size and color as that white SG in your pic

*Edit* wrong pic

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Arcader said:
Yeah it has an arcade power supply. Also its not that big, not nearly as big as the supernova which practically empty inside its box.

The Raven SG is pretty much cramped inside due to the arcade PSU.

I found a picture of what the Raven SG looks like on you site D-Lite, seems like you have one or somehow got a similar box.

4Guns.jpg

The Raven SG is the same size and color as that white SG in your pic

*Edit* wrong pic
Funny you found that pic. I have never seen a Raven supergun. That white one I made uses a case I got from Jameco (just down the street). And that's the smallest you can get and still include the arcade PSU on the inside.

And I don't much like the color. Since I made that I found a similar shape case that's all black and has a nicer finish.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Found a pic on their site too:
supergun2smallj.pg.jpg

Not a very pretty supergun. They ask $362 for it with one 6-button pad. Shipping is extra. Of course theirs doesn't do anything but RGB through SCART, so it's largely useless in the US. :/

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
D-Lite said:
Found a pic on their site too:
supergun2smallj.pg.jpg

Not a very pretty supergun. They ask $362 for it with one 6-button pad. Shipping is extra. Of course theirs doesn't do anything but RGB through SCART, so it's largely useless in the US. :/

Wow $362... It only has about $15 in materials and a couple hours of work...

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I plan on getting one from D-Lite in the coming months. He rocks at electronics and making Superguns!

GAMEFAN

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Ok, thanks for the info people.

So, I guess i'm looking for a Supergun that outputs RGB and has Stereo (for the boards that support it). Also, what about the kick harnass? Is this just 1 kind for use with CPS1/2 PGM, JAMMA etc? Oh and is it possible to connect PS2 pads/sticks to it?

Arcader

New Challenger
Yeah D-Lites guns are nice (I know, I own one ;) ), but I dont think you can use it for everything.

You can use his guns for most things but Im unsure if you can get sound for PGM and in the pic it looks like the kick harness is only for CPS2 games, but you will have to wait for D-Lite to reply.

Also being in the Netherlands I assuming u must have an SCART connection?

I don't think you can mod PS2 pads for it, you can just buy some MAS sticks though so thats not a problem or mod some Saturn pads.

Uberia guns are also nice too bad the guy doesnt make them anymore due to commitments or something.

The cheapest one is prolly the MAS Supernova http://www.massystems.com and it comes complete with 2 sticks but only outputs to S-Video so the quality wouldn't be as good as SCART or component.

Last edited:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Yeah, the ones I make are generally good for most systems. Most meaning most JAMMA standard boards, Neo, CPS2/3, PGM (sound works fine with the arcade PSU), and others. The limitations are really only CPS1 (and not many people do that) and I believe MK has a different harness. I went with most popular options in CPS2/3 (same standards). You have to request that with MAS since they do CPS1 as the standard (lord only knows why).

In terms of PGM sound, I'm hopefully going to figure that out today/tomorrow.

gemen

Mickey's Coach
Gamefan said:
Yeah, I plan on getting one from D-Lite in the coming months. He rocks at electronics and making Superguns!

GAMEFAN

Indeed, I have seen D-Lite portable Neo Geo, the one comes with lcd screen and super gun, it's a well done work. I am very impressed. If I'd buy a supergun, I will buy from him definitely. Plus he only live 40 miles away from my home, save on shipping too :).

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
I use a MAK supergun, its nice and compact (unlike my home made ones) and has all the buttons and switches you need, its perfect for my one slot, but if i use my AW i have to put something under it. Check out my DC stick with full arcade Microswitch buttons Essential for shooters methinks!!

The Mak only outputs RGB, but to be honest s-video is inferior, so get yourself a TV or monitor that supports RGB!

beh3moth

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Dreamer said:
So, I guess i'm looking for a Supergun that outputs RGB and has Stereo (for the boards that support it). Also, what about the kick harnass? Is this just 1 kind for use with CPS1/2 PGM, JAMMA etc? Oh and is it possible to connect PS2 pads/sticks to it?

Many arcade boards have different kick harness, you should have a separate connector for each. CPS3, CPS3 and Naomi (through Capcom I/O) use the same kick harness, but CPS1 and PGM are diferent.

About connecting PS2 controllers, you need to mod them. Another possibility is to use a PS2->Neo adaptor, but it won't work in all superguns.

You should look for a SCART RGB-only supergun, but the ones sold in UK shops are really expensive, I'd look for something more home-made.

@D-Lite: let me know if you figure out the sound problems with the PGM, as I said in my case it was about that odd sound pin-out in the JAMMA harness.