Big Red - Not Able to Start a Game

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Hey guys,

I need some advice as to where to start looking.

When I boot up my Big Red 4-slot things look normal. I'll see the Neo Geo splash screen, first game will start in attract mode and then cycle to the next game and so on.

Both Player 1 and Player 2 buttons don't appear to work. Nothing happens when I try to start a game.

But I can enter the UniBIOS (4.0) 'In Game Menu' by holding A B C and pressing player 1. Pressing A B C does nothing but it should bring me to the main 'UNIVERSE BIOS Menu'.

I have a spare 4-slot motherboard and I installed it and I'm getting the same behaviour.

What do you think is going on?

Thanks.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
ABC must be held at power on or during a reset to access the menu. If you're stuck in MVS mode, you'll need to coin up before you can do anything.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
ABC must be held at power on or during a reset to access the menu. If you're stuck in MVS mode, you'll need to coin up before you can do anything.
OK, you got me sorted. It was in MVS/Arcade mode. I don't know how it changed from home/AES mode. So that is why player 1 and 2 weren't giving me credits.
I had forgotten that you need to hold A B C while powering on to get into the UniBIOS. I setup home mode a long time ago and don't really use UniBIOS for anything else.

Thank you Neo Alec!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
MVS mode is the default, so if it was set to home mode but then went back to MVS it means your board doesn't have a battery that was able to keep the setting for that long.