Blue's Journey MVS- No Sound

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
I got a blue's journey off of ebay that was supposed to be working, brassoed the pins, reflowed solder on the PCM, ZMC and the LS139 next to it. Also read both the V1ROM and M1ROM and both match up exactly when compared to a downloaded rom. Also tried the uni-bios CRC check for the PROM, that tested okay. Switched slots, touched up all the solder on the eproms. Literally get no sound what so ever, and it kills all sound to the rest of the board even on a separate cartridge in slot 2. Another thing I notice is the G in the MAX PRO MEGA, is missing a little towards the bottom. Any help is appreciated.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Clean the cart edge with an eraser.

And Post board pics--Front and back.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I would also clean the cartridge slot on your mobo.

Brasso probably didn't help. It probably removed some of the gold platting.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
I shouldn't say I cleaned the whole thing with brasso, I had a couple corroded pins and it was having some graphical glitches, but after I cleaned it, all the graphics are fine. And the cartridge slot was cleaned out recently, have no other issues with any other games.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
return it to be honest. did you get it listed as a boot?

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
return it to be honest. did you get it listed as a boot?
I did, I saw it when it was listed. Sucky part is that it was listed as working and even came with a shockbox. I wanted to avoid shipping all the way back to California.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
I just wanna play Blue's Journey :(, if worst comes to worst, does any one have one for sale? I doubt anyone can match the $40 I paid for it.

mikey

Marked Wolf
I don't think the sound will work because the original 8M boards that blues journey uses don't have the pcm and zmc chips and the bk1 and 256 boards do.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

I don't think the sound will work because the original 8M boards that blues journey uses don't have the pcm and zmc chips and the bk1 and 256 boards do.

I agree.

Saludos

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
It never did. The M1 wasn't made to work with the ZMC and even if it did, you'd have sound glitches since you can't easily add the other V ROM to it. You can't easily boot a pre-ZMC/PCM game using a new board set and vice versa.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Oddly enough, I had a Blue's Journey boot a couple days ago. It was built on a PROGBK1/CHA256 combo and it seemed to work perfectly including sound. So I know it can be done. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to dumps the roms before I converted it to an Ironclad.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
It's doable but most of the games would require some M1 hacking. I imagine working boots are rare.

I had a look on mvs scans and saw the game has an odd v rom layout. They arranged it so the addresses don't overlap like they do on most old games. That makes it work on PCM boards without hacking the addresses in the M1. This still leaves the ZMC issue if there's more than 32K of actual data on the ROM but I haven't looked. If it has less, it should work unmodified or else I think the sound/music will glitch or mute due to ZMC banking not being configured.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Okay, so for some reason, I compared my board to the one bootleg on mvs-scans, and removed both jumper R4, and J13. Game booted up the same as usual, no sound, I switched to metal slug 3 in slot 2, and it crashed after a couple seconds, and restarted. Started up again with no sound, switched between games, and for a brief second it said M1-Rom error. Started up again with sound... Played for a couple minutes, and now there's no sound again. So, I was assuming the jumpers are to blame here, then I put them back on, and it still is doing the same thing. What the hell is going on with this thing?

Last edited: