Bush picks Harriet Miers for Supreme Court

melchia

Franco's Trainer
I'm pretty happy about this nomination! She has a great record and would make an excellent justice, even though she hasn't had judicial experience. Miers, who has never been a judge, was the first woman to serve as president of the Texas State Bar and the Dallas Bar Association. I'm actually a little excited, as she used to run the Locke, Liddel, & Sapp law firm here in Dallas. This is a law firm I've been working with for the past year, and they are some of the sharpest attorneys around. While I've met Miers only once (she wasn't working for/with the firm at the time), she clearly has an excellent and vast legal knowledge. Her work ethic and ability to look at things objectively (ensuring the most ethical legal decision) make her a great candidate.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Only in the government could one get a high level job without experience.

It's like 3 mile island where the guys who ran the energy dept. had no experience and knew nothing about nuclear reactors.

She may be a great candidate, but still to have no experience in such a high office is bullshit imo.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I can't get a job at Chili's without experience.

:(

melchia

Franco's Trainer
Magnaflux said:
Only in the government could one get a high level job without experience.

It's like 3 mile island where the guys who ran the energy dept. had no experience and knew nothing about nuclear reactors.

She may be a great candidate, but still to have no experience in such a high office is bullshit imo.

She hasn't been a judge...doesn't mean she doesn't know how to interpret the law for the most ethical and legally correct outcome. She's been working in the legal profession (with an impeccable record) for pretty much all of her professional life (since she is no spring chicken, this is actually a substantial amount of time).

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
melchia said:
She hasn't been a judge...doesn't mean she doesn't know how to interpret the law for the most ethical and legally correct outcome. She's been working in the legal profession (with an impeccable record) for pretty much all of her professional life (since she is no spring chicken, this is actually a substantial amount of time).

She was STILL. NOT. A. JUDGE.

Another stupid move.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
VanillaThunder said:

Another stupid move.

I can think of several judges that are pretty inept, so I guess we will see...

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
melchia said:

I still cannot fathom having her as a judge in the highest court of the country with no experience as a judge.

Seems to me a poor choice on the part of Bush.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
Magnaflux said:
I still cannot fathom having her as a judge in the highest court of the country with no experience as a judge.

Seems to me a poor choice on the part of Bush.

Well if she isn't confirmed, feel free to tell me 'told ya so.' I'm biased, and I admit it. I've seen her work first hand and know the potential.

Tacitus

Staff member
melchia said:
I can think of several judges that are pretty inept, so I guess we will see...

At least you can analyze their ability and experience via previous decisions. You can't with this appointment. This reeks of Bush trying to slip someone who shares his rather extreme view through.

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
Not too familiar with her.

Is she a Scalia type conservative? Or is she more liberal leaning? Does anyone know at this point?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
anyone who thinks this nomination is in any way valid needs to slip and fall face first on a hot soldering iron.

for the children.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
VanillaThunder said:

Another stupid move.

For reference, Earl Warren was never a judge untill he became Cheif Justice of the Court.

There is a pretty good history of people becoming S.C. justices without having been a judge before.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
doesn't make it right.

This kind of stuff happens in Iran all the time. People with no experience in a field tapped for certain jobs beyond their qualifications - why? Because of nepotism.

This country is leaning more and more to a system just like Irans. Bush must be an Iranian.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
Stinky-Dinkins said:
Not too familiar with her.

Is she a Scalia type conservative? Or is she more liberal leaning? Does anyone know at this point?

She is actually a tad bit more liberal but nevertheless a strong conservative.

Tacitus

Staff member
JHendrix said:
For reference, Earl Warren was never a judge untill he became Cheif Justice of the Court.

There is a pretty good history of people becoming S.C. justices without having been a judge before.

"Then the nomination takes a 90 degree turn and goes through the wrist..."

;)

melchia

Franco's Trainer
wasabi said:
doesn't make it right.

This kind of stuff happens in Iran all the time. People with no experience in a field tapped for certain jobs beyond their qualifications - why? Because of nepotism.

Who said she doesn't have experience in the field of law?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Dude, get off her dick. you're only supporting this because you're from Dallas.

Apparently everything is bigger in Texas. Even the hypocrisy.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
You would have thought that Bush would have learned from Michael Brown....

...guess not. :kekeke:

melchia

Franco's Trainer
wasabi said:
Dude, get off her dick. you're only supporting this because you're from Dallas.

Apparently everything is bigger in Texas. Even the hypocrisy.

I'm supporting her because I have seen her legal work first hand and agree with what I have seen.

Tacitus

Staff member
melchia said:
I'm supporting her because I have seen her legal work first hand and agree with what I have seen.

Ok, since you've noted it a few times, subtly and you're obviously DYING to let everyone know... how have you seen her work?

(I feel like I'm in Carson's audience, HOW COLD WAS IT?)

melchia

Franco's Trainer
VanillaThunder said:
Ok, since you've noted it a few times, subtly and you're obviously DYING to let everyone know... how have you seen her work?

(I feel like I'm in Carson's audience, HOW COLD WAS IT?)

As I noted in my first post, I work with (not for) Locke, Liddel, & Sapp (the firm she used to run). Many of the filings and cases she worked on are ongoing, including about 1/4 of the entity structuring I work on.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Phoenix Down said:
You would have thought that Bush would have learned from Michael Brown....

...guess not. :kekeke:

He had no disaster experience minus the odd Tornado here in Edmond, Oklahoma.

He was not equipped for the position as head of FEMA. No experience = bad.

The private sector knows this, but no experience in government work is OK?