Buying a new handgun what should I get?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I dont own one yet but is it better to buy online or local? Can i just walk into a gun shop & pickout any gun i want or is there protocol/background check/gun safety test?

All the guns so far looks quite nice, what are the price ranges on them?

At the Federal Level you simply need to have a background check which should take less than 10 minutes via a phonecall. You have to fill out some paperwork, that's it. You can conceivably walk in to a store and walk out with your firearm in less than 30 minutes.

That said, your state is free to require additional requirements: That's where waiting periods, safety checks, ID cards, etc come in to play. In CA you have to have a Firearm Safety Certificate, show how to operate the weapon safely, and there is a 10 day waiting period.

When you "buy a gun online" what you are actually doing is paying for a firearm and then having it shipped to a firearms dealer (someone who has a Federal Firearms License (FFL).) You don't actually take possession of the firearm until it's transferred to you by a dealer. Dealers usually charge money for this. Generally speaking you can't have a firearm shipped to your door, there are exceptions (of course).

Only cowards carry concealed.

Only people with no social skills carry openly.

Last edited:

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
peope sure get riled up in this thread when someone jokes about their guns..

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
peope sure get riled up in this thread when someone jokes about their guns..

Assuming that you're talking about me, I don't own any guns nor am I in the market for one.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Glock's feel cheap, I've never had one jam but they're too light

Unlike a sig sauer P229 .357

weight.. Is sign of reliability. If it does not work you can always hit him with it

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member

weight.. Is sign of reliability. If it does not work you can always hit him with it

Borris the bullet dodger. LOL

xorthen

Banned

You really need to reconsider that statement. If you think a Glock feels cheap you should try shooting a hi-point.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You really need to reconsider that statement. If you think a Glock feels cheap you should try shooting a hi-point.

Yeah...I would never call a Glock "cheap" feeling. I'll gladly admit that they're not my cup 'o tea...but I'd gladly take one for free. They really reliable as all hell.

On that note, my XD's are as well...both of them run like a swiss watch and one of them is even heavily modified.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Yeah...I would never call a Glock "cheap" feeling. I'll gladly admit that they're not my cup 'o tea...but I'd gladly take one for free. They really reliable as all hell.

On that note, my XD's are as well...both of them run like a swiss watch and one of them is even heavily modified.

Agreed. Love me some XD's.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What is the best handgun for gripping sideways?

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I daily carry a M&P Shield, chambered in 40. cal, 6+1 of Hornady Critical Defense.

Its small, light, easy to conceal in the summer, and carries enough stopping power for the highest of dope fiends.

Whatever you get, just make sure you practice and become proficient using it.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Whatever you get, just make sure you practice and become proficient using it.

See...this is 100% the truth. Ultimately,it doesn't matter what you carry, you need to know it literally like your own hand. When people ask me about concealed carry...I tell them range time, more range time, and when you're done with that...go to the range some more. Practice dry draw fire...and then do it some more. So many people take a class and think they're good to go.

On an ironic note, I do not concealed carry nor do I even have a license to...LOL?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.”

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
I don't prefer Glock, but I don't hate it.

It all comes down to what feels comfortable in your hands and is reliable. As was mentioned, Hi Points are shit. So stay away from that. Springfield, S&W, Beretta, and the better known brands are your best bet.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Hi Point shouldn't ever be mentioned in any thread about firearms.

The Glock 19 is literally the most comfortable hand gun I've ever gripped.

You simply can't go wrong with a Glock.