Cab Restoration: Killer Instinct 2

TobyPC

n00b
I scooped up this Killer Instinct 2 cabinet for 180. It was converted to a Neo Geo 4 slot. It happened to have Strikers 1945 Plus in it.. which more or less covered the value of the cabinet altogether!

Today, I started stripping the oil based paint off of it to expose the artwork underneath. It's tedious but it's coming along decently.

I guess the main purpose of this thread is to track the progress of this. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll come across a Killer Instinct 1 or 2 board down the line to complete it.

I'm going to work on this as I have the time and money to do so.

20180413_122025_HDR.jpg

20180506_143643_HDR-1.jpg

20180506_182407.jpg

20180506_182426.jpg

20180506_185642.jpg

There's some little flaws but overall it doesn't look bad at all, I think!

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wow I'm impressed you could remove that paint without ruining what was underneath, nice job!

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
What product were you using to strip the paint off?

TobyPC

n00b

I got lucky and this was painted over with oil-based paint. So, I'm mostly using paint thinner for oil paint and a plastic scraping tool to minimize scoring of the artwork.

I'm just being patient not to overexpose the artwork to the thinner.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
People swear by Citristrip to remove paint and not harm the artwork underneath. Maybe easier to work with than straight paint thinner.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Rubbing alcohol on a magic eraser will take latex off of vinyl side art. It takes alot of elbow grease, and you gotta take it slow, but it will remove the paint without fading the art.

TobyPC

n00b
I did end up using citristrip today. It did prove to be very useful but it also soaked a bit into the vinyl and some areas and made it pliable. It did tear the vinyl a little bit. I did my best to clean it up.. but I'm going to wait a couple days for the vinyl to harden again before touching it.

20180507_145721_HDR.jpg
20180507_145746_HDR.jpg
20180507_124316-1.jpg

The next time I do this I may just stick with the paint thinner because although it was quite a bit slower it was a lot more controlled.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
You did an amazing job, the cabinet looks great. Good luck on the restoration

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Unbelievable save!!! Hope you find all the missing parts and bring it all back to its former glory.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Wow, the artwork was mostly in pretty nice shape under there.

TobyPC

n00b
Many thanks for the compliments!

There are some goobers on the artwork; especially where the citristrip sat a little too long. The artwork got wrinkled a bit in those areas, but I was able to shrink them down a bit with a heat gun and pressing down with my finger to smooth out.

It should clean up decently if the vinyl hardens back up again.

Also, I think the original CP overlay is under the generic one...

TobyPC

n00b
20180517_003515.jpg

Today I pulled off the control panel and started filling in the gaps with wood filler. Sanding. I was able to uncover the original control panel art by carefully pulling off the cheap overlay. It had some minor damage but I touched it up with some paint and a paintbrush.

Not sure if I'm going to get reproduction art for the top or just finish fixing this up

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
I have the same problem on a KI1 cab however. The paint job on it is done very well. Looks like it was sprayed on. Damn near impossible to remove. It was so tough that I swooped up another empty KI cab. Your work gives me hope. Great work man.

TobyPC

n00b
I'm still looking for a KI or KI2 board for it. I want to bring it to its former glory!

If I can't get the game, I may as well convert it into a rampage or something.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
I'm still looking for a KI or KI2 board for it. I want to bring it to its former glory!

If I can't get the game, I may as well convert it into a rampage or something.

Maybe put a pandora box in it

TobyPC

n00b
Maybe put a pandora box in it

If I can't get a working Jamma board by the time I get the monitor and power supply sorted out, ill probably stick an old gaming pc in it and wire it up for mame in the short term.

Last edited: