Capcom Open to Takeover?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'll take it one further. Imagine all of the old Capcom legends (Inafune, Funamizu, Mikami, Kamiya, Okamoto etc...) all pitching in to buy Capcom. Usurping the house of Tsujimoto and reclaiming what they helped build.

I think I already brought this up.

Honestly, guys, I think that Capcom lowering its guard is all about this:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/feature/hit2013/02.html

They have been talking about Resident Evil's enduring value for a while now, and it's clearly their biggest IP. I think they're trying to make the company attractive for people to buy into so they can get an infusion of cash to maintain business operations without having to go to the Japanese banks for a bailout. Their forecasts probably aren't good and they're looking to stay afloat until they can get some money again. It's a desperate measure, but probably not as desperate as a bailout, which requires massive company restructuring, allocation of resources, cutting staff, closing offices, etc. It's basically like pushing the reset button and they're trying to avoid that.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Hmmm I see what you're saying. So you think they wrote up a phony plan just so the investors would reject it. Then, knowing full well the media would catch wind of the news, simultaneously make themselves look as attractive as possible for a potential buyer?

If that's the case then those Tsujimoto's are more crafty then I give them credit for.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Hmmm I see what you're saying. So you think they wrote up a phony plan just so the investors would reject it. Then, knowing full well the media would catch wind of the news, simultaneously make themselves look as attractive as possible for a potential buyer?

If that's the case then those Tsujimoto's are more crafty then I give them credit for.

I don't think that the press release about Resident Evil is bogus, honestly. The franchse is popular despite the hits its taken recently, they already have a successful movie series (Sony's second most lucrative movie franchise after Spider-Man), and the focus has been gradually shifting towards the kind of typical action fare that general audiences weaned on effects driven thrills are willing to spend money on.

The following is not a criticism, just an observation.

The dystopian messages of the series' origins and the genre's roots are all but gone now. The series PRETENDS to have them but that's not the same thing. Even Resident Evil: Revelations, a mea culpa to the older fans in my opinion, is something the current Capcom would have NEVER released first on a major platform in this day and age, and they initially didn't: it first came out on 3DS. A 'classic' RE game for 'hardcore' fans on a 'niche' platform.

Resident Evil 6 and this press release from September of last year are both indications to me that Capcom has had this one in the chamber for a while. They've been wanting to expand the popularity of the franchise to other marketing opportunities, and with the company in poor financial straits right now, something they probably forcast back in September, they started trying to sell possible investors on the potential of the franchise to generate revenue from numerous avenues of opportunity, not just games.

That is just my .02 on the subject.

Last edited: