capcom v. snk2 ethics

flipmode59

Zero's Secretary
throwing is cheese. it will always be cheese. only permissible throws are with brawlers. i don't know about you guys, but the way it's always been around here, be it in several different arcades, friends, misc places, throwing is pure cheese. i've played some people online who do share this view too, so it's not colloquial. whenever someone throws, it's ETHICAL AND NECESSARY to let the other person throw you back. i follow this rule. it's fair since throws do seem to slip in by accident every now and again.

roll => throw => roll => throw

ok, wtf is that lame shit?

taunting in the middle of matches and getting away with it is fun. it adds amusment to the game. breaks the tension, per-se, even when the other person is losing. unless they're a pissy ass sore loser.

i just got my ass whooped by three different people.

i played somoneone who actually used yamazaki! *YAMAZAKI* first time i play against someone who uses him. i was in awe. he took out like 1.5 people on my team, but he lost the match. regardless, he used yamazaki really well! i need to learn how to use this mofo asap. and ralph and clark need to be included in cvs3.

yee haw.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
all the people I know use yamazaki, what's the big deal? I personally find them to be at a disadvantage when I'm in k-groove, because it's so easy to just defend almost anything he can throw at you.

flipmode59

Zero's Secretary
he used him really well. I don't know, I'd just really like to learn how to use him. No one else seems to use him good whatsoever, so, it was refreshing to see someone who uses him really well.

Actually, I disagree with your 2 main points. You can tech out of throws, so I don't feel they're cheesy and taunting is rude unless it's among friends...or it gives you a power-up like 3rd Strike.

theneocheesewedge

Geese's Thug
ok, so you're complaning about getting your ass thrown after they roll? wtf? you're kidding right? spock
where i play, the only thing rolling is good for is RCing (talk about cheese :rolleyes: ). rolling gets your ass thrown, alot. during a roll you are complete vunerable to throws. it's what they did to balance them out. if your're playing someone who rolls alot, throw him, or jab. simple as that.

flipmode59

Zero's Secretary
nah, i'm not complaing about throwing. i don't have a problem beating compulsive throwers, i just find it really cheesey.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
flipmode59:
throwing is cheese. it will always be cheese. only permissible throws are with brawlers. i don't know about you guys, but the way it's always been around here, be it in several different arcades, friends, misc places, throwing is pure cheese. i've played some people online who do share this view too, so it's not colloquial. whenever someone throws, it's ETHICAL AND NECESSARY to let the other person throw you back. i follow this rule. it's fair since throws do seem to slip in by accident every now and again.
LMFAO!!! You mean people still do that?!? Scrub.

Take some time to read this article, it's very enlightening:

<a href="http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm" target="_blank">http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm</a>

X

Y,
We use to do that throwing back in Miami. The problem is that when you are raised in a "no throw" enviroment you are easily susectable to throws in another enviroment because you are noy accostomed to it. Its like eating strange food from another country :) . I find it hard to throw myself and have been trying to get good at throwing and defending myself from throwies. I guess I am at a disadvantage, becasue most people throw at least 3 times per match.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yes flipmode59, I totally agree with you.

Last night I played some rounds of CvS2 against my buddy Stefan, and guess what, HE MOVED! Honestly! That little cocksucker just WALKED AWAY FROM ME and didn't let me hit him!

I was really pissed, and immediately thought about posting an CvS2 ethics topic on my fave video game bbs, but you beat me to it, so more power to you. Cheesy stuff like this totally ruins the experience for me. If ppl only knew about the fun of CvS2 matches without jumping, rolling, throws or supers, just light and medium punches and kicks!

Shiva Nataraja

Crazed MVS Addict
It is a freaking game. Why should you complain about throwing? It is a mean to win like any other. Moreover, like it was stated in a previous post, they made the throws vulnerable to the throws for one reason. Would you let to see CvS2 or KOF to turn into a roll-fest?

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Shiva Nataraja ]</small>

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
What's the big deal about throwing? If ti was so bad they wouldn't code it in :rolleyes: it's all part of the game, play to win.

i'm quite certain Art Of Fighting 2 would be near-impossible without throws.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Takumaji:
Yes flipmode59, I totally agree with you.

Last night I played some rounds of CvS2 against my buddy Stefan, and guess what, HE MOVED! Honestly! That little cocksucker just WALKED AWAY FROM ME and didn't let me hit him!

I was really pissed, and immediately thought about posting an CvS2 ethics topic on my fave video game bbs, but you beat me to it, so more power to you. Cheesy stuff like this totally ruins the experience for me. If ppl only knew about the fun of CvS2 matches without jumping, rolling, throws or supers, just light and medium punches and kicks!
What???? You mean there are actually people that move around in CvS2?? That just ruins everything :(

Okay, seriously though. I've been playing since the days of Street Fighter 2 World Warrior. I vividly remember being on the receiving end of "cheap shots" (tick-throws) from some guy, and boy was I pissed about it because there was nothing I could do, that such a simple tactic worked so well. I think it was the discovery of these "cheap shots" that led to the "throwback" policy described in the first post.

But guess what? When SF2 Champion Edition came out, there were no more "cheap shots". Throws became completely reversable because they changed the game engine to make it impossible to throw someone in block stun. And on the first frame when a character comes out of block stun, it became possible to "Reversal" throw. Ever try to tick-throw the CPU in Champion Edition or Turbo Hyper Fighting? YOU CAN'T. (unless you're Zangief, but SPD doesn't count...)

Throws have become weaker and weaker over time in Capcom fighting games, and fighting games in general. Making the throws do less damage. Adding in Tech Hits to reduce damage on throws. Changing Tech Hits to nullify any damage whatsoever. Removing the "Reversal frame" ability upon getting up from a knockdown. Actually the only time throws have been "good" in a Capcom game was X-Men vs. Street Fighter. They did huge damage and a lot of them allowed you to followup with combos afterward, often leading to infinites. God that game was stupid, but I sure had fun throwing people.

So why the fuck do some scrubs still complain about throwing? I guess old habits just die hard, and it's easier to complain than it is to *gasp* actually get better and find a way around the problem.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
BBH:
[...] Throws have become weaker and weaker over time in Capcom fighting games, and fighting games in general. Making the throws do less damage. Adding in Tech Hits to reduce damage on throws. Changing Tech Hits to nullify any damage whatsoever. Removing the "Reversal frame" ability upon getting up from a knockdown. Actually the only time throws have been "good" in a Capcom game was X-Men vs. Street Fighter. They did huge damage and a lot of them allowed you to followup with combos afterward, often leading to infinites. God that game was stupid, but I sure had fun throwing people.

So why the fuck do some scrubs still complain about throwing? I guess old habits just die hard, and it's easier to complain than it is to *gasp* actually get better and find a way around the problem.
Yup.

I can understand complaints about ppl pulling off cheap infinites all the time, but I never ruled out/reglemented throwing in any way. Take SF2 Chun-Li, a grappling monster if played right, with aerial grabs, etc., but once you figure out how to defend against jump-in attacks and don't walk into her button-mashing multi kick, most scrub-techniques don't work anymore.

You're right, in the newer SF/vs games, throwing has lost most of its scrubbing potential.

Hell, flipmode59 should play a few matches against a skilled Goro or Shermie player for a quick cure... too bad Goro is not in CvS2, would have been fun to use him online against all the grappler-haters... :cool:

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Stop complaining. I grew up in the arcades, and I never saw this "complimentary throw" rule. The only rules were, you put up a quarter: you got next, and you asked permission before challenging someone playing the single player game.

Throws are part of the game, and if you don't know how to deal with them, you will occasionally fall victim to a player who uses them too much.

This reminds me of Counter-Strike players who constantly whine about the Arctic Warfare Magnum. It's part of the game, and it has its own weaknesses. The best strategy is to keep out of the open.

Shino

Ninja Combat Warrior
NO, Throwing is not pure cheese

I understand what you mean, by roll => throw => roll => throw method, but that can be countered, and they get thrown, if you know its coming
roll throw is definately cheese.

The Worst kind of Throw cheese is
HIT => Block => Throw,
that is so cheezy, you can call it NAcho.

Now can throw for example, when they missed with a Dragon punch, and while they are falling down, YOU CAN THROW.

Or when someone is trying to speed jab you in close distance, YOU CAN THROW.

Or when they jump in to your body, YOU CAN ThROW.
now if you jump in to their body, thats cheese.

You are allowed punish them for their mistakes, with Thowing. wink

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
flipmode59:
nah, i'm not complaing about throwing. i don't have a problem beating compulsive throwers, i just find it really cheesey.
Give me a break. Then just break out of it. If the rolling throws screw you up, then you are NOT a good player. Throwing can be broken, and rolling is a joke once you catch on to the opponent's patterns.

Please stop complaining about an easy to solve problem.

Spike

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
flipmode59:
You sound like someone with no skill, and I would love to play you. Spike Spiegel 2 is my handle. Look me up.

This isn't 1992, anymore. Get out of the time capsule.

Spike

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Hahah throwing is cheese? please. this place sounds more like gamefaqs every day.
What next, tourney level combos cheese?
gimme a break, if you dont like it, dont play it.
Seems like certain people constantly need to validate the skill they have in it, and god forbid some of you actually loose a match, geez, ready the 51 50's.

I've played cvs and 2, I have no idea what people see in it, as a capcom and snk fan it has quirky controls & dumbed down chars. its anyones game, because its one of the most unbalanced pieces of shit I've seen in my day. The first cvs sucked, the second is no exception.

ABSOLUTELY nothing of interest is in the online spot to me currently. I dont want to take whatever is available just cause its online. Put kof 98 online, thats where the real matches will be for me. That will never happen though, so I cant complain.

My friends and myself have meetings at my place once in a while, and we can play kof or sf3 third strike for hours and not get bored. CVS just feels to weird, its unbalanced and was thrown together VERY SLOPPY. People wonder why cap is ready to throw in the towel, frankly I miss capcom older sf days, but thats my opinion.

"Tony the pony, so thats what they call you now..

"There's a free ride on Tony the pony"

Shino

Ninja Combat Warrior
CvS is a complination,
You try to find balance with players from Samurai Showdown and Street fighter.
but it still is a very decent fighter.
I call it organized chaos.

Yes its the only option available online,
But Its more than players can ever ask for.
I will be online soon, and kicking.

Is Xbox live active in germany?
seems all the ranked players are all from japan or usa.

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
Throwing can be cheap at times and a bit annoying, but thats why you can break them. In CvsS2, it is the same damn motion as doing a throw. When you know they are going to throw you, just tech out of it. Also, it is pretty easy to hit someone who rolls, just him them with a projectile or if their roll is somewhat far, crouch and press FP as soon as the roll is done, there is going to be a nice fist waiting for them at the end of the roll. Just try to learn the system better, its not that complicated.

Damn, if I only had an X Box and this game, everyone would tremble in fear of my Joe and Geese/Athena team.

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: K_Dash ]</small>

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Shino:
CvS is a complination,
You try to find balance with players from Samurai Showdown and Street fighter.
but it still is a very decent fighter.
I call it organized chaos.

Yes its the only option available online,
But Its more than players can ever ask for.
I will be online soon, and kicking.

Is Xbox live active in germany?
seems all the ranked players are all from japan or usa.
I wouldnt know, my location is spawned from a certain manual. Wes and a few others who dig the game know where thats derived. I am in the LA area actually.

I cant make the switch from deep KOF to quirky cvs. I can play it, but all I need is iori in it.
I cant stand Ryu or Ken, they flail hard compared to the SF3 series counterparts. I am a fan of alpha, got alpha and alpha 2 on cps2. I just cant get into CVS. I've tried, and it just isnt happening. CVS wasnt meant to be, it was just a fanboy's idea made game IMO.

I've settled for being simple lately. Havent bought much neo, been focusing on dc collecting for god knows whatever reason.

SF3 is the best series capcom released after the sf2 days. That I am sure will have no agreements, but if everyone agreed with me then posting would be pointless.

Shino

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yes,
I am also a huge fan of the alpha seriers,
The controls are absolutely perfect, everything I need done, gets done.
Alpha 2 is my favorite, just really crisp.

Sf3 , i never got in to, just thrown off by the whole parry system. but to some people sf3 is a dissapointment, took them 10 years to count to THREE, and only made marginal changes. Only a couple of new characters that cool, the rest were just Odd

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Shino ]</small>

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Shino:
Yes,
I am also a huge fan of the alpha seriers,
The controls are absolutely perfect, everything I need done, gets done.
Alpha 2 is my favorite, just really crisp.

Sf3 , i never got in to, just thrown off by the whole parry system. but to most people sf3 is a dissapointment, took them 10 years to count to THREE, and only made marginal changes. Only a couple of new characters that cool, the rest were just Odd
Yeah, alot were refurbed versions or combined ones of old chars. Like necro being both dhalsim and blanka. I dont like necro. But its a bit on the original side. Alpha 2 also had the best music, the whole alpha series kicks ass imo.

I do like the parry system, but there is no insurance, like in garou if you miss a just defend, you can block instead. SF3 you risk a hit, and you dont gain from it.
Its to risky IMO. Most tourney level SF3 players have to master parrying. frown

Shino

Ninja Combat Warrior
I think you do gain a tiny little bit of energy when you successfully complete a parry.

but its definately not worth the risk , your right.

theneocheesewedge

Geese's Thug
you want to talk about cheese? how about a CC that will take off %40-%50 health? slightly less if you block it.

ShoShoShoShoShoShoShoShoShoShoShoSho...
fuck, i hate that. very_ang