Captain Toad : Treasure Tracker

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
250px-Captain_Toad_Treasure_Tracker_US_box_final.jpg

So yeah I went ahead and picked up this little title for the Wii U today.

I've already logged in a good 3 hours on it and am seriously enjoying this. It's a play on the mini-game from Super Mario 3D world only Nintendo took the concept and added a lot more to it out the gate.

The levels are fun and unique for each area with challanging puzzles to keep you occipied for hours.

The Camera controls are perfect with the ability to zoom in and out on each level along with being able to rotate it from literally any angle to get an idea where you need to go to finish each stage.

Without spoiling anything too much, there's a way to play as Captain Toad in Super Mario 3D World if you have a save file for the game on your Wii U.

All in all If you're looking for another "Mario" title then this probably won't be it for you, if you're looking for a different type of fun gameplay then you should give this game a shot.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I love the style of it and the videos make the puzzles seem very engaging. Plus for $30 its in impulse buy territory.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Yeah I grabbed this, too. Not too far into it yet but I enjoyed those 3D World levels so I was looking forward to this when they announced it.

However, I wish HAL would take this same concept and made a new Adventures of Lolo game :vik:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Still playing this. The thing is even after you collect the Star at the end which isn't the hardest thing to go for, It's getting all 3 Jewels and the "extra" thing done for each area. The Shy Guy place for example you have to make it to the Star MGS style without being detected. It added a little of challange to it for me with that alone. Finding the hidden Golden Mushrooms along with killing all the monsters in some stages or finding your way around makes this a heck of a lot of fun in a small package.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Thanks for the review! I wasn't sure what this game was all about, and now I'm pretty sure I want it. Also did not know it was at a nice $30 price point!

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Yep, I'm really enjoying this game as well; definitely the hidden gem of the season for me!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Looks a little like Zack and Wiki which was amazing.

I'd love to get this game, but there's just no time. Shoulda spaced this out after Smash. No one is paying attention to new WiiU games at the moment.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Will pick this one up for sure. Unfortunately it was delayed in Europe until 2nd of January. Would have loved it to play it over the holiday season. Thank you Nintendo! :blow_top:
But thanks for sharing your first impressions. Sounds like a good game to me.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Completely oblierated all of Episode 1. Located all the hiddens and cleared all the bonus extras on it.

Game is fucking fun as hell. This isn't a GOTY but it's a gem of a title.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Played the demo on the WiiU kiosk at Target a while back. Totally awesome and too cute.

I added it to my Christmas list for "Santa" to bring me.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I just picked up Capain Toad earlier today from Meijer along with the WiiU version of NES Remix Pack. I can't wait to give them a whirl. Along with the Mario Kart 8 I picked up on Brown/Gray/WhoFuckingShopsOnThanksgiving Thursday, my WiiU will be getting the lion's share of gaming attention in our house this holiday season. :)

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
I'm not seeing it for less than $40, but that still seems reasonable if the game is a decent length.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
annoyingly we have to wait until January for this in Aus... looking forward to getting it

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Am I the only who hated those staged in 3D World? They forced you to play singe-player and totally broke the flow of the game.

That said, as its own dedicated game, it looks like an intriguing puzzle platformer. My copy was delivered on Friday.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
I just picked up Capain Toad earlier today from Meijer along with the WiiU version of NES Remix Pack. I can't wait to give them a whirl.

Ha! I also grabbed the NES Remix Pack at the same time. I didn't even know the physical release was out in the US when I saw it.
I'm glad I waited on those for the disc release. The NES artwork on the disc is sweet and the SMB mirror mode is a trip

Am I the only who hated those staged in 3D World? They forced you to play singe-player and totally broke the flow of the game.

Well, I see your point, but it's not like they had to be played in order to advance in the game. And it even warned you that the levels were one-player only, IIRC

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner

That said, as its own dedicated game, it looks like an intriguing puzzle platformer. My copy was delivered on Friday.

i played pretty much all of 3D World alone............. *cries*

.... so no... i disagree based on my experience :p

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You hate the stages as a small portion of one game so much that you bought another game knowing full well that it was based completely on those hated stages. Makes sense.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
It actually does. It's about context. In the context of 3D World, they're slow and you can't jump which sticks out like a sore thumb. It also forces you out of multiplayer or to come back to them later solo. In the context of its own game, it looks like a good puzzle platformer. Plus the gameplay has been expanded.

If I had to play a random stage of Contra in the middle of a Mario Kart 8, I'd probably wouldn't like that either.

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I'm pretty excited about picking this up, especially after reading everyone's opinion on it. I really enjoyed the 3D world levels.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Game seems like fun. I'm still on the fence just due to time

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I'm picking it up soon based on the positive user comments that keep popping up. May not even play it now, just afraid Nintendo will only do a limited run on this more than anything.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm picking it up soon based on the positive user comments that keep popping up. May not even play it now, just afraid Nintendo will only do a limited run on this more than anything.

Seems to be a common theme these days lol. I love the look of it and look forward to picking one up