Car Enthusiast Thread

neo1087

Bead Banger
Frickin awsome, me and Not Sonic got back from shopping around...found a nice eclipse, 5spd manual, in descent shape, nice paint, shaved wing.

But we seen a Nissan Fairlady 300zx..86. Friggin awsome car. Pics up in a bit.

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
dont waste your time if its not a gsx. you can get a 95/ 96 gsx for 5gs hold out dont comprimise are you will always regret.

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
smokehouse said:
He realized that dollar for dollar he was always going to lose out to a V8 sports car…:kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

(sorry TonK, you know I can't help myself...)

If you lived down here I would defend the imports honor and race you at Moroso and show you tru POWAR!!!!!!

But we dont so oh well, It would have been fun too, could have got some beers afterwards or at least a bottle of Jack.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i really think he should get the 300zx. its so cool lookin. but thats just me.

i think the clipse was $3500 not a bad deal.

the awd eclipses go for like $10k

Last edited:

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
I love the 300zx, and would also recommend getting one. Buuuuut, there are a couple of things you gotta consider. Im guessing the mileage was pretty damn high, being thats its an 86 (I see a few now and then with low mileage, but not many). Since I'm assuming this is gonna be your daily driver (you said you currently had no car), you have to factor in practicality somewhat.

And you also have to be able to afford any repairs/maintenance down the line, which on a 300zx could get costly. Just remember no matter how excited you get about a car, you have to think practicality as well.

In addition, you have to remember that some of the people on this board have never had to drive in the conditions we face in the norhteast. Hell my integra is pretty much shit in the snow (Thank you 65-35 weight distribution), and FWD cars are supposed to be better in general. Also when buying an old car as a daily driver, you have to remember that winter's will absolutely RAPE the car.

My previous care before the 'teg was an '85 tercel wagon with less than 20000 original miles. Was reliable as hell...but it was quite a bitch in the winter to start up with carburetor and all. Id have to pop the hood and spray an assload of starter fluid just to get the thing going.

Last edited:

TriShield

Host for Orochi
Some friends and I hit the track last week. This was my second time ever running on one and I had a good time. It's probably the most fun you can have with a car and $10 legally.

My friend's 06 Mustang GT.

IMG_6452%20%28Large%29.jpg

IMG_6294%20%28Large%29.jpg

My 06 GTO.

trishizzle.jpg

trinawzzzzzzz.jpg

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
so what did you run? Also a 95 body style gsx can be had for 5 grand. I live in south florida home of the price gouging and I could have bought one like 3 or four years ago for 6 grand. GSX are all wheel drivew so aint they good in snow?

TriShield

Host for Orochi
khyron said:
so what did you run? Also a 95 body style gsx can be had for 5 grand. I live in south florida home of the price gouging and I could have bought one like 3 or four years ago for 6 grand. GSX are all wheel drivew so aint they good in snow?

Four runs, my fourth was my best - 14.3@100.6mph, 2.3 60 ft. My friends Mustang went 14.1.

I'm confident that if I had gotten one or two more runs I would have hit high 13s. The track was packed so it was an hour and a half wait between runs.

I know it's not that great, but I'm a novice and launching these new GTOs is difficult. They wheel-hop, bog or spin unless you feather the clutch and throttle just right.

We ran once before over the summer and it was over 100F at night, the best we could do was low 15s in both cars. But it was our first time ever.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
thats an ls2 right?

work on your launch, shorten up that 60ft, and you should be able to pull mid 13s.

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Funny how you read about cars 1/4 mile times but when you get to the track its really harder then it sounds.

Fucking 1/4 I mean you think you just punch it and get a good tome if you have the power. With enough pratice yo ucan get those times way down.

TriShield

Host for Orochi
not sonic said:
thats an ls2 right?

work on your launch, shorten up that 60ft, and you should be able to pull mid 13s.

Yeah, LS2. I didn't use the waterbox, lower my tire pressure or anything. Just worked on launching it as best I could without wheel-hop this time.

Strangely, the new Mustangs wheel-hop as well. I thought the big reason it has a solid rear axle suspension was so it would be a good drag car.

TriShield

Host for Orochi
khyron said:
Funny how you read about cars 1/4 mile times but when you get to the track its really harder then it sounds.

Fucking 1/4 I mean you think you just punch it and get a good tome if you have the power. With enough pratice yo ucan get those times way down.

I will attest that it's one thing to read about how fast cars are in the quarter in a magazine, but a whole other to actually try to replicate the times yourself. It really changed my perspective.

My Grand National was a powerbrake and let it rip car. The new GTO really demands a delicate touch and that I completely relearn how to launch.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
ive read to always avoid the water box unless youre running slicks. its just going to mess your traction up with street tires.

however, its a good idea to spin your tires a few times, but it isnt necessary at all to do a huge burnout.

(lol listen to me like im some pro. ive never even been to the track. but its all info ive read in preparation to going.)

ive read stuff about lessening wheel hop but i dont remember.:emb:

my best launch was a ~2200rpm neutral drop. but i have an auto and a slow car.:emb:

i want to go to the track but i never have any time. lay down some 16s :buttrock:

one guy with a 3.8 camaro ran a 14.6 completely stock. just unhooked exhaust, drivebelt, and intake.

Last edited:

TriShield

Host for Orochi
not sonic said:
one guy with a 3.8 camaro ran a 14.6 completely stock. just unhooked exhaust, drivebelt, and intake.

There was a 2005 V6 Mustang with a Paxton blower on it running as fast as we were. That would surprise a few people on the street.

Quite a few fast diesel trucks here too. They leave a thick black fog in their wake.
laugh.gif

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Those Hondas were just toys...

Had some free time and cash so I decided to fuck around a bit...

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
- 2008 Audi R8 unveiled

Audi has just unveiled the 2008 R8 — its first ever production supercar. Sales will begin in the first half of 2007 for the United States and Europe. The car has a 414 horsepower high-revving V8 engine and all-wheel-drive. It uses the mid-engine Lamborghini Gallardo platform, and will sell for around $100,000 — positioning it squarely against the BMW M6 and Aston Martin Vantage. It features standard xenon headlamps surrounded by an LED cluster. Claimed 0 to 62 mph time is 4.6 seconds, though this number is likely conservative.

5-2007-audi-r8.jpg

3-2007-audi-r8.jpg

1-2007-audi-r8.jpg

2-2007-audi-r8.jpg

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
dude, i have waited and waited for the R8 to show up. not cause i can afford one, but because there's an audi dealership at the end of my street, and i've wanted to see them at the dealership, at least one. and ask one of the guys there to rev it for me so i can hear the sweet sweet exhaust note.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Hung Lo said:
Side view of the R8 reminds me of a 350z
yeah but unless that Z was beefed up it'd get it's ass kicked.

then again only 414 horses kinda upsets me, i was hoping it'd be something near 600.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Sorry for the deviation from the current topics being discussed, but I was thinking about this more and more lately.

Is it me, or is auto racing just kind of dull compared to the 1950s through the early 1970s?

I think the cars of those eras whether it was Juan Manuel Fangio driving the F1 cars of the 1950s to the GT40 driven by AJ Foyt in 1967 to the Chapparals, to the Porsche 917s, they just had something no race cars today had.

To me the guys who drove then put their lives at risk more so than they do today due to the numerous safety devices.

Sure Schumacher many consider to be the best driver ever...I still don't think he could have competed with Fangio....